The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lawrence 710 Issue
Lance Martin

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2022 7:30 am    

My Lawrence 710 pickup cover keeps breaking. Has anyone else had this issue? I fly a lot with the guitar. It’s in a custom flight case, with extra foam under the pickup. I’ve reglued it about 5 or 6 times at this point. Just curious if this is a known problem with those, or it’s just me?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2022 9:18 am    

I had a Franklin D-10 with Lawrence 705's originally then 710's when they first came out. Transported in a case with a 1" covered foam pad. Never had a problem on the road, but never flew.
I had 710's in a GFI Ultra D-10 and transported the same way, laid on a 1" covered foam pad in the case and no problems.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2022 1:18 pm    

I have one that twisted off it’s base in transit. I removed it and twisted it back in line, and it still works. I don't move that particular guitar much, so it's not much of an issue...

Last edited by Dave Meis on 7 Nov 2022 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2022 2:10 pm    

When I received my new Carter in 2002 the 710 had ripped off it's base. John sent out a new pu for me. Ever since then ive always packec steels for shipping with thin Styrofoam or cloth between the strings and pickup.

Lance Martin

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2022 8:56 pm    

John Swain wrote:
When I received my new Carter in 2002 the 710 had ripped off it's base. John sent out a new pu for me. Ever since then ive always packec steels for shipping with thin Styrofoam or cloth between the strings and pickup.

I’ll probably start going that route. I’ve got extra foam under the guitar.. but nothing between the strings and pickup. I may be better off starting fresh with a new pickup too. I’m thinking that even reglued, some of the original integrity has been lost

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2022 8:17 am    

A picture of the broken pickup in the guitar/case might help.

Unless something else weird is going on.........

To break the pickup something must come in contact with it.
In order for that to happen, that "something" has to get past the barrier formed by the strings. That would require a lot of force to press on the strings that much. Even if there were no padding on the inside top cover of the case, that is still a lot of force.

Question: Are you screwing the pickup direct to the body? Or, is it on springs or something else?
If you are screwing it direct (and tightly) to the body, and the case is not padded very well,
and you are subjecting the case and guitar to a lot of sudden shocks (like shipping or the airlines might),
then that might cause the plastic pickup cover to break.

Without a picture it's hard to tell, but I suspect that something else is going on. You need to fix that problem first.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2022 8:37 am    

Paul Franklin Sr. told me laying the guitar (strings down) on a foam pad in the case is the best way to transport a steel. From his time working at Sho-Bud, they had less transit damage when they used the padded method rather than using "blocks" in the case to hold the guitar off the bottom.

Lance Martin

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2022 4:23 pm    

Jack Stoner wrote:
Paul Franklin Sr. told me laying the guitar (strings down) on a foam pad in the case is the best way to transport a steel. From his time working at Sho-Bud, they had less transit damage when they used the padded method rather than using "blocks" in the case to hold the guitar off the bottom.

That’s really good to know! Thank you for sharing that!!

Lance Martin

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2022 4:29 pm    

ajm wrote:
A picture of the broken pickup in the guitar/case might help.

Unless something else weird is going on.........

To break the pickup something must come in contact with it.
In order for that to happen, that "something" has to get past the barrier formed by the strings. That would require a lot of force to press on the strings that much. Even if there were no padding on the inside top cover of the case, that is still a lot of force.

Question: Are you screwing the pickup direct to the body? Or, is it on springs or something else?
If you are screwing it direct (and tightly) to the body, and the case is not padded very well,
and you are subjecting the case and guitar to a lot of sudden shocks (like shipping or the airlines might),
then that might cause the plastic pickup cover to break.

Without a picture it's hard to tell, but I suspect that something else is going on. You need to fix that problem first.

Here’s the case it’s in, as well as the damage it experiences consistently: