The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What model Oahu squareneck do I have here?
Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2022 7:54 am    

Ryan Matzen wrote:
I just scored another 1930’s 66K. I traded an acquaintance a couple of microphones for it. This one has a couple of repaired cracks, some finish loss in two areas, and the usual scratches and dings. And, get this, it already has a PlateMate installed. I just strung it up with D’Addario Resonator strings, and tuned it to open D. This particular guitar just resonates! And, it has crazy sustain! This leads me to a question… I had originally left the metal nut riser on this guitar. Then, I took it off to see if I could tell any difference at all. I had assumed that with more direct string contact, that it would sound better without the riser. Now, I am not to sure. Anybody have opinions on this? I am also wondering why most of theses guitars seem to have nut risers even though they came with high nuts?

I run those adapters on mine because I'm used to higher action than the stock nuts gave, my Dobro's and electric steels nuts are much higher than the Oahus.

Ryan Matzen

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2022 9:28 am    

Quote:

I run those adapters on mine because I'm used to higher action than the stock nuts gave, my Dobro's and electric steels nuts are much higher than the Oahus.

I am the opposite. I am more accustomed to vintage Tricones. The Tricones usually have much lower nuts than Dobros do.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2022 2:35 pm    

My Oahu needed a nut riser to be able to get my Charlie's Capo in it on the low frets...I eventually just took it out and don't use a capo...but I'm also curious about any thoughts on the effect on sustain, etc. I couldn't hear any, but I didn't do any sort of big experiment...

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2022 3:19 pm    

I was just playing my D28 Martin and thought it would make a great Hawaiian guitar, a nut adapter later and YES, yes it does. It sounds huge.

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2022 6:01 am    

Glenn Wilde wrote:
I was just playing my D28 Martin and thought it would make a great Hawaiian guitar, a nut adapter later and YES, yes it does. It sounds huge.

I have been wanting to find an old 12 fret 12 string dreadnought to convert to a lap guitar. The Harmony h1270 would be amazing, but prices have gone way up on these. I have one, but it is too nice to change. The fretboard is 2 1/4" wide, you could easily make it a 7 string. The neck is very stout. I love the big sound of a dread!! It seems there aren't many options for large bodied flattop, square neck guitars besides the 66k. I am guessing the 66k is about 15" wide? That would put it in the 000 range. I really like 16 in. wide tops.

Ryan Matzen

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2022 2:23 pm    

Glenn Wilde wrote:

I imagine that a dread would sound huge!

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2022 8:21 pm    

Pretty sure Kelly Joe Phelps played round neck Dreads with high nuts, he was great.

Yep!

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2022 8:36 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmut5WhT3cI
A bit of a tangent, but thanks for mentioning him. Another forum member recommended him to me a while back and I just now got around to listening to him. His sound on the dreadnought is just from another world! Huge, delicate, deep, rich, really indescribable... Sad to see he died pretty young, thankfully he left a nice legacy of recordings. I will be listening to it all. I can't believe this guy is not better known!!

I am at the point where I really want less stuff and it would be nice to have one one guitar that did it all. That will never happen, but I am starting to think a dreadnought (with a sound hole pickup) is as close as it gets.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2022 8:38 am    

Slide guitar? Rolling Eyes

Ryan Matzen

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2022 10:02 am    

Tim Toberer wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmut5WhT3cI
A bit of a tangent, but thanks for mentioning him. Another forum member recommended him to me a while back and I just now got around to listening to him. His sound on the dreadnought is just from another world! Huge, delicate, deep, rich, really indescribable... Sad to see he died pretty young, thankfully he left a nice legacy of recordings. I will be listening to it all. I can't believe this guy is not better known!!

I am at the point where I really want less stuff and it would be nice to have one one guitar that did it all. That will never happen, but I am starting to think a dreadnought (with a sound hole pickup) is as close as it gets.

I think he is pretty well known. He did a couple instructional videos for Homespun. I am pretty sure that that YouTube clip is from his video “Slide Guitar of Kelly Joe Phelps” from Homespun.

It is my belief that an OM is the Swiss Army knife of guitars. I am not sure it would sound set up like a lap steel though.

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2022 3:08 pm    

Quote:
It is my belief that an OM is the Swiss Army knife of guitars. I am not sure it would sound set up like a lap steel though.

I figure if it sounds good for picking it would sound good for steelin. I find it interesting that steel guitar started on flat-top instruments, and now you don't see many steelers on flat-tops at all. I love Dobros and tri-cones, but I am really drawn to the sound of a good old acoustic guitar.

Quote:
Slide guitar? Rolling Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vODWelO1aJY How about this one? The later pictures of Jimmie Tarlton I have seen, all show him with what looks like a dreadnought played lap style. In my book this is steel guitar not slide. Call it whatever you want, good music is good music.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 10:45 am    

Some "slide guitar" players, Twas pretty common in the olden days apparently, not exactly sure when the first dedicated steels were readily available, early teens are when Martin and Knutsen put some out iirc..