60%  [ 58 ]
No I cannot sing and play PSG at the same time
30%
 30%  [ 29 ]
No I don't sing at all
9%
 9%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 96

Author Topic:  Can you sing while playing PSG?
Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 6:36 am    

I am not coordinated enough to sing while playing pedal steel and it seems I don't see many other steel players singing while playing so just wondering.

Harrison Dole

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 8:23 am    

i can sing and play while playing other instruments, but psg just has a bit too much going on for me. it could be that i'm fairly new to the instrument or it may be something i never quite get down. hard to say, but at the moment i can't.

Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 8:35 am    

Same with me Harrison in that I can sing and play guitar at the same time.
About 10 years ago I was at a steel guitar event sponsored by the late Steel Guitars of Nashville. One of the featured pedal steel players at that event also sang lead. Wish I could remember his name.

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 8:52 am    

When I play guitar and sing, I use the instrument as a reference to keep my voice on pitch. Since the pedal steel doesn't have fixed frets, I lose my reference. I find it hard to keep both my voice and steel properly intonated.

Gil James

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 10:28 am     Can I sing while playing?

No. And it befuddles me. I have sang while playing guitar for years in a Gospel group and solo, without even thinking about it. But when I introduced the steel to our music, I have to let someone else sing if I am playing on the Carter. Tommy makes a good point which I haven't considered, but I think it has more to do with missing the rhythm in the strumming for me. I've only seen a few guys on here that do sing while playing,Pete Nichols being one.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 10:52 am    

No. And I can't sing while having sex either. Too much going on. Laughing

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 10:56 am    

I can’t sing and even if I could I wouldn’t be able to sing and play Pedal Steel.

My buddies Larry Behm and Harley James (PDX area) can do it without any problem. It never ceases to amaze me.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 11:12 am    

I lied. I voted that I don't sing at all. I can sing when I play piano, but not good enough for public consumption.

Truth be told, in 1999 I moved to Montana. The real reason was I was kicked out of California for singing. Some obscure law about mentally deranged steel players singing where others can hear. 🗣

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 27 Oct 2022 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 11:29 am    

I, too, sang while playing guitar, and thought it would be just as easy, with PSG.

Not as easy, but I can sing a few. My licks are reduced in number while singing, and if I were to throw in a new lick, I sometimes get lost........Pat

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 11:47 am    

We’ve had a few players here that were lead singers in Cajun music that played steel and they never missed a lick. Played all the fills and lead parts while they sang and they were top notch at both. 🙂

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 1:40 pm    

Not me, yet, but I have acquaintances and good friends that sing lead or harmony while playing steel.

One of them, not only did all the lead singing but also fronted a band for several years. He played steel patched through the FOH system, monitors along with the vocals...did a great job too.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 1:57 pm    

I used to play bass and sing. When I started playing steel, I must have been unaware that it was difficult to sing and play steel. I could sing better than play. I eventually could do both with equally great mediocrity. I guess that's where I am now. It depends too, on how well the band plays. If they're good, and don't make you worry about timing or hitting the right notes, it's great.

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 2:54 pm    

I can do either or both. However, either sounds much better than both.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 3:22 pm    

Reading these posts has removed any temptation I might have had. Thank you, Forum!

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 9:45 pm    

No

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2022 4:50 am    

I think with a LOT of practice it would become natural like with guitar. But every time I sit down to practice I feel way behind on stuff I want to work on so singing while playing steel is way down the list.

Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2022 11:33 am    

Harmonies; yes. Leads; only if the steel part is easy (as in chords only). Lead vocals/steel leads, heck no unless I really, REALLY know the lyrics and don't have to think about the vocals

Double bass, Mike Lull V4, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2022 12:34 pm    

Harmony singer here so, yep. Typically comp chords or simple lines if backing up.

From my bluegrass, dobro background.

You play..You sing.

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

David Dorwart

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2022 12:41 pm    

Yes. I just chord on the steel whilst singing - nothing fancy

Fred Martin

Phoenix, Az
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2022 6:24 pm    

Thats a matter of opinion but Hell Yeah. You got to work at it some. And if you couldnt sing to start with that may be a problem. Smile

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2022 6:49 pm    

Harmonies while comping chords. I sing backup oohs and ahhs too, but I find that the steel conflicts, so I just drop it out. If I’m singing lead, forget it. I just pick up the guitar. I think a lead singer should be on their feet anyway.

Until recently, I’ve always been in bands where everybody is expected to sing and sing well. I am half of that…

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2022 7:22 pm    

Yes, but it's the hardest thing to do ever. George Thorogood "Move it on Over" you can sing & comp but then take solos like he does is one thing.

Heartaches by the # is harder; trying to do fills while singing-I sometimes lose my place as I am playing-man it is the worst-why does my band do this to me?

Some people get on a unicycle, juggle things, and then talk to the crowd. If they can do it.....

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2022 10:05 pm    

Why would you?
You shouldn't step all over the vocal, no matter who's singing...

If you've ever seen Chuck Back do it... sing a line, play a fill, sing a line, play a fill, you'd totally get it...

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2022 5:14 am    

I did it for many many years, harmonies and lots of lead as well... Then over the years, as I played more 6 string electric guitar and became more of a "lead singer"[1/3 to 1/2 the songs in any given set], I noticed it was SO much more difficult as time went on.. I attribute that to simply doing it less and less as time went on, and found myself more and more defaulting to just playing guitar when I had to sind lead... For me then it was simply a matter of 'use it or lose it".. When I was the "steel player" I could sing comfortably and effectively while playing pedal steel. I did not play as much while singing, less fill licks and such, but was still accurate, and not really dropping out much..
Then as the years passed, and the bands got smaller, and I played more guitar, I wanted to play 6 string when I sang, and after a time found it much harder to play steel and sing at the same time.. Nowadays??. I doubt I could pull it off at all... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2022 3:37 pm     Steel

I'm still working on just looking up.....actually...I gave up on it....