The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Franklin Pedal
Bill Bassett

Papamoa New Zealand
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2022 4:01 pm    

I recently received my brand new Mullen G2 S-12 extended E-9 3 pedals using the "Day" set up, and 5 knees. I've been curious about the Franklin pedal to lower the B strings to A and the middle G# to F#. What I'm wondering is if the Day copedent would interfere with the function of the Franklin pedal. Is it dependent in some way on the 3rd pedal being the C pedal? I don't see how it would be a problem but I thought I ask before I contacted Mullen to order all the parts and pieces needed for the modification.

Thanks,

Bill

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2022 8:02 pm    

I don't think you'd ever use the Franklin pedal and either A or C together, since those raise string 5 a whole tone and the PF pedal lowers that string a whole tone, so no splits can be had I wouldn't think. On one of my guitars my PF pedal is the zero pedal next to A pedal, that's just an easier foot move for me. /// I can live without the PF changes. It used to be zero pedal on my Mullen D12, but went away for more important changes on the low end of my extended E9.

Bill Bassett

Papamoa New Zealand
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2022 8:06 pm     Thank You

I appreciate your response. I may just be a little we bored and looking for
a project.

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2022 11:18 pm    

Just make sure you can use the lever that lowers E strings to Eb together with the "Franklin" pedal and there should be no problems whatsoever.

Modifying afterwords should be no problem since you have 3 rods on that pedal which should be more than enough for some other change if you wish to do so.

B.Erlandsen
Zumsteel S12extE9 7+7

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2022 3:28 am    

I no longer have that change (FP) but, when I did, it was at P4, adjacent to my A pedal (3). I believe that's its most effective placement.

I changed P4 to lower 6 and 9 a half-step (I've since added a lower on the 3rd on that pedal), a change I find more useful. I do, however, still lower the 10th to A.

Cappone dAngelo

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2022 7:51 pm    

If I were doing a Franklin pedal I'd put it next to the A pedal, as I often use it immediately before/after the A. When I got my G2 it was on the other side - next to the C - and I was constantly moving from A/B over the C pedal to the Franklin pedal, and although it worked I didn't see any advantage to having it there.

That said, I took Paul's advice (from his video with Tommy White) and split the Franklin pedal - so I now have the B->A on a pedal and the G#->F# lower on a knee, which allows me to use them together or separately and allows me to use the knee in conjunction with the B pedal to split - for example, Pedals A and B down, then the knee lowers the root of the chord a whole step for the dominant 7 chord. It also gives me one more position to do the classic sus2->3 change.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2022 7:39 am    

If I tune the 10th string split and use the setscrew in the end of the neck, will that keep the string from being lowered a whole tone with the Franklin pedal?