The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sierra Olympic 14-string
Phillip Hermans

Berkeley, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 12:47 pm    

Saw this guitar at a shop in Santa Clara, CA.
It says Tom Bradshaw set it up!
Any of y'all know anything about this guitar?

Is it capable of taking additional pedals / levers?

I played it, and it seems nice. But there is an issue with the electronics (seemed like a faulty input jack) so I couldn't hear it plugged in.

Curious about y'alls thoughts on the guitar.
Is it a good price?
Is someone gonna snatch it up before me because of this post?

For context, I am an experienced lap steel player but have yet to own a pedal steel.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 12:50 pm    

It has been there for a while and has been posted to the forum before, so if anyone wanted to snatch it up, they've had their chance. Unless you have someone near you who can handle the electrical issues, I'd look for a newer, less complicated, less troublesome first pedal steel.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 3:28 pm    

14 strings is a LOT. ten is most common, and a lot of guys play 12. but 14 is rare and quite complicated for a first psg

having said that, the price is about right and I would think pedals and levers could be added no problem. Jim Palenscar at Steel Guitars of North County would be your man for that and he could probably fix any other issues as well

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 4:07 pm    

Tom is on the forum. The Times I have contacted him he has been very helpful. Look him up, send him an email. If he worked on the guitar, he can tell you about it.

John Haspert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 5:03 pm     14 stringer- Sierra

As has been stated that is a lot strings. Seems limited for pedals and possibly knee levers which can add to the cost of getting this instrument to where you might want it to be. Bill Stafford is a master of the 14-stringer. As others has stated- 10 strings are much more common and will have copious amounts of teaching materials, tabs etc. 12’s and 14’s much less so. Resale of the 14 also has a much smaller audience. Yes, Jim Palenscar is the best. If it were me, I would look at a more modern instrument with readily available parts etc. In S-10 or D-10 configuration. When it was me, I got a GFI Ultra D-10. Good Luck with which ever way you decide to go.[/u]

John Haspert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 5:04 pm     14 stringer- Sierra

As has been stated that is a lot strings. Seems limited for pedals and possibly knee levers which can add to the cost of getting this instrument to where you might want it to be. Bill Stafford is a master of the 14-stringer. As others has stated- 10 strings are much more common and will have copious amounts of teaching materials, tabs etc. 12’s and 14’s much less so. Resale of the 14 also has a much smaller audience. Yes, Jim Palenscar is the best. If it were me, I would look at a more modern instrument with readily available parts etc. In S-10 or D-10 configuration. When it was me, I got a GFI Ultra D-10. Good Luck with which ever way you decide to go.[/u]

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 5:21 pm    

someone gutted this poor guitar , it had at least 8 pedals coming out of the shop … I had S14 9+9 Sierra and it was enough guitar for 3 lifetimes… fantastic guitars , limitless possibilities when it comes to tunings and copedents … this guitar new loaded with pedals and knee levers was probably close to 10K

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 5:54 pm    

I agree with Damir, this guitar appears to have been stripped down. Speaking as someone who built guitars at Sierra for 4-5 years, it should have been built with 7 or 8 pedals & at least 4 knees, unless it was a special order. Currently, it looks like there 3 pedals & 3 levers. Unless it comes with a bushel of parts, it will be very expensive to bring up to snuff.

Considering the incompleteness of the guitar, possible electronic issues and the intrinsic complexity of a 14 string guitar, there are much better ways to spend $2500 for a first pedal steel.

Last edited by Tony Glassman on 23 Sep 2022 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 6:06 pm    

Dang shame.

Reminds me of when someone takes a nice Emmons D10 and makes it an SD-10 cause "muh back."

That would be a sweet piece if it wasn't messed with. Where are you gonna find 4 or 5 GOLD Sierra pedals and all the other matching parts?

It's a shame.

Does that only have 2 knee levers? Man...

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 7:35 pm    

mine was not Olympic model , but nonetheless an amazing instrument … I should’ve kept that one

Phillip Hermans

Berkeley, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2022 9:34 am    

Thanks for the insights everyone! This forum is such a gem!

I'll keep searching for a guitar

Bob Sigafoos

San Clemente, Calif. , U.S.
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2022 10:38 am     Heavy!

I had a Sierra Crown 10 string many moons ago. Even in a relatively light case it was HEAVY. 14 strings would weigh more. Other than the weight issue the guitar I had was nice.