The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho~Bud LDG Routine Maintenance Tips?
Christo Huntington

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2022 1:06 pm    

Hi all,

I just had my first 3rd string break on my Sho~Bud LDG since purchasing the steel which got me thinking… What routine maintenance should be done to a vintage instrument like this? Is there anything I should keep up with in addition to regular string replacement and general polishing/cleaning? I hope to preserve this LDG as long as possible, so I’d love your best maintenance suggestions and setup tips! Thanks in advance.

Best,
Christo

Effects: Telonics FP-100D Multi-Taper Volume Pedal, Polytune 3 tuner, Dunlop CBM9 Wah-Wah, Exotic Effects SP Compressor, Exotic Effects EP Booster, Ibanez TS-9, Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron envelope filter, Boss DM-2w Delay (Waza Craft), TC Electronic Hall of Fame 2 reverb
Accessories/Extras/Software: Steelers Choice Sidekick (built August 2022), Shure SM57, Focusrite 2i2

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2022 2:43 pm    

When ever I change strings (not often enough!) I always inspect the roller nut. Make sure they all spin freely and add a drop of tri-flow. If any are stuck, take it all apart & clean.
Also a good time to flip it over and make sure everything else moves freely, no dragging or squeaks.

Christo Huntington

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2022 3:29 am    

Eric,

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll make sure the roller nuts spin freely and listen for any squeaks in the changer system. What product do you use if you hear any squeaks under the guitar?
Effects: Telonics FP-100D Multi-Taper Volume Pedal, Polytune 3 tuner, Dunlop CBM9 Wah-Wah, Exotic Effects SP Compressor, Exotic Effects EP Booster, Ibanez TS-9, Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron envelope filter, Boss DM-2w Delay (Waza Craft), TC Electronic Hall of Fame 2 reverb
Accessories/Extras/Software: Steelers Choice Sidekick (built August 2022), Shure SM57, Focusrite 2i2

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2022 7:31 am    

I use tri-flow. Everyone has their own preference.
Nice old Sho~Bud there - was it originally green and now faded?

Christo Huntington

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2022 8:11 am    

Got it! I'll look into the different options starting with Tri-Flow.

And thanks! I had one of my YouTube subscribers comment that he believed my LDG was originally the dark brown color it currently is thanks to the view I shared in one of my videos displaying the underside of the guitar. I originally believed it was green like many of the others, but the bottom of the guitar (which likely hasn't seen nearly as much sun as the top) is a dark brown. I guess the only true way to know is to get some info from a forum member on this specific guitar or check underneath the arm rest?

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 2:41 pm     Ldg

Cristo,
Make sure the tri-flo goes BETWEEN the roller nuts & not on the roller where the string goes. I love my LDG.
Ricky Davis can tell you a lot about your guitar with the serial #.
He's the "Bud man"!
You can search him here on the forum & send him a pvt message.
Good luck!
Pat

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2022 4:59 pm    

that's a cool guitar.

i think an important part of maintenance is keeping a smooth surface on the changer finger where the string naturally creates a groove. i sand and polish mine when i change my strings. it keeps the strings from getting a whiney sound.

on your bud you have to be careful because the surface of the finger is a chrome plating. it's hard and resistant to grooves, but once it's gone you're into the potted metal of the finger body which doesn't sound great and wears poorly.

i'm curious about your steel...it has some mid seventies characteristics like the big headstock and curved levers, but is it 3 up and 2 down or 2 up and 2 down?

i'm curious about what's underneath.

Last edited by Dave Campbell on 26 Sep 2022 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2022 7:40 pm    

Where did the 3rd string break?

If it broke at the Changer Finger, There could be a problem with the top of the changer finger being rough, Or an old string or a bad string.

If the string broke at the Key Head Capstan shaft, Check the edges of the the cross hole, Make sure no rough burrs. When replacing a string, Be sure to cut the string long enough to put enough wraps on the Capstan shaft to wind smooth over to the edge and off the hole, Have at least 1 or 2 wraps of string on the smooth round shaft.

Good Luck and Happy Steelin.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2022 6:44 am    

The 3rd requires a lot more wraps on the keyhead. There was some youtube videos showing string changes on pedal steel. Search the internet for that. I believe Mullen had a good one available. Also slowly tuning and letting it rest a bit helps.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2022 9:19 am    

Another tip. If you remove the Nut Rollers, To clean or check the slots for burrs, Make sure you return the rollers to the same slot. If the rollers get moved around you may get a buzz on the F 1st fret position.

String the nut rollers on a string removed from the guitar to keep them in order, If you remove them. Check the nut roller shaft carefully, Most are drill rod steel, Sweat and spilled Cola drinks will rust it. Polish with 0000 steel wool till shiney and smooth.

Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2022 10:28 am     Whine Me Up

Quote:
a whiney sound

That's the sound I'm looking for!

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2022 12:16 pm    

Christi' if those first two numbers are 86, it,s a 1975 model.