The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Los Angeles / So Cal pedal meetup interest?
George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2022 12:13 pm    

Hey all

I'd like to put it out there that there could be a meetup for pedal steel players in the Los Angeles / So Cal area. I don't want to get wrapped around the axle on details, and I'm not talking about a jam yet (although eventually would like to see that), I just want to get some kind of community going, as there is currently none. But I know there's players around the area, pro and amateur, lurking behind their fretboards. I envision a meeting held quarterly so people have some sense of repeatability.

Chime in if you're up for it and we can organize appropriately. If we get five people getting coffee and talking pedal steel, that would be great. Particularly I want to give newbies a way to connect with more advanced players because pedal steel needs to be evangelized or it will die.

I myself am a busy procrastinator, but I can help organize, which at first is just going to be identifying a meeting place and time and an invite list.

John Corzine

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2022 10:23 am     I'm in!

Hi George:

I'm in Orange County but would be happy to be on your list of takers. Keep me posted, and hope to see you in AZ in October, if not before.

John

Dave LaDelfa

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2022 8:44 am    

Yeah, I'd be into this too.

Dave
from Glendale

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2022 5:34 pm    

Some of us already do that sort of thing down at Jim Palenscar's shop...but not on any sort of regular basis.
Sure...I'm up for it, and I bet some of the other guys would be, too...even though they haven't chimed in.

Mark McConville

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2022 9:46 am    

Very into this idea.

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2022 10:38 am    

I'm in. At Jim's (always a pleasure and well worth the drive!) or locally.

Rick Hayes

Pasadena, California
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2022 11:02 am     Absoulutely interested in a meetup

and I know another, student, steelpicker who, I am sure would be also interested.

Looking forward!

Tim OBrien

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2022 11:20 am     Great idea

I'm in North Orange County.

Keep me in the loop

Tim

George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2022 9:50 am    

Wow, nice to see all the responses! Pedal steel in So Cal ain't dead!

So, now, where and when? Again, let's hold off on any music-making for now and just get together socially. Please chime in, (either by forum post or PM me) with where you are located and preferred day/time and suggestions for a type of meeting place -- once I get some responses I will propose a date/time/place. Thanks for your support of the "Nascent Pedal Steel Players of Southern California that Eventually may Turn into a Real Organization "!

--

Also, separately, does anybody know when Jim Palenscar might have a meetup at his shop in Oceanside? It's a bit of a drive for me, but I'd attend.

Rick Hayes

Pasadena, California
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2022 6:09 pm    

Weekend afternoons tend to work best for me.

One of the best meetups I've been to was at the Cat and Fiddle in Hollywood (now at Highland and Melrose) - Awesome shepherd's pie (and a good selection of beer - bottled and on tap). Plus they have an outdoor patio. And it's centrally located from all who have replied so far (Glendale, Pasadena, North OC).

See https://thecatandfiddle.com/hollywood-west-hollywood-the-cat-and-fiddle-restaurant-and-pub-about

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2022 6:45 am    

Cat & Fiddle is cool with me. El Coyote is close by as well...

Cara Batema

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2022 2:25 pm    

Hi! I'm on the westside of LA and would love to meet up! I would prefer outdoors though if y'all don't mind...

Cara Batema

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2022 2:28 pm    

George Biner wrote:
Wow, nice to see all the responses! Pedal steel in So Cal ain't dead!

So, now, where and when? Again, let's hold off on any music-making for now and just get together socially. Please chime in, (either by forum post or PM me) with where you are located and preferred day/time and suggestions for a type of meeting place -- once I get some responses I will propose a date/time/place. Thanks for your support of the "Nascent Pedal Steel Players of Southern California that Eventually may Turn into a Real Organization "!

--

Also, separately, does anybody know when Jim Palenscar might have a meetup at his shop in Oceanside? It's a bit of a drive for me, but I'd attend.

Side note, I met Jim a couple weeks ago, he fixed up my guitar for me... what a gem. A bit of a drive but I'd be down to hang there again too.

Re: your questions... I agree a weekend afternoon would work for me too, although I'll be out of town Sept 24- Oct 3 so hopefully I won't miss this one

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2022 5:03 am    

It’s quite a ways for me but I’d like to stay in the loop on this. Cool idea.
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 7:30 am    

Hey all:

(I got a little confused and didn't check the responses here and then PM'd some folks -- I don't think I can retract these messages -- oh well, if you re-posted here then disregard my PM. )

OK, Cat and Fiddle sounds like a great place. Weekend preference seems to be a thing. They open at 12 noon on Sundays.

How about planning on meeting at noon on Sunday, October 9th at the Cat and Fiddle? I will call ahead a week before with a headcount and request the outdoor seating. ( https://thecatandfiddle.com - 742 N. Highland Av., Hollywood, CA 90038)

Looking forward to the meetup!

Rick Hayes

Pasadena, California
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 1:04 pm     October 9th is on my calendar

and absolutely looking forward to meeting everyone (especially Peter Freiberger, who I understand is currently playing with my good friend and neighbor, Brad Colerick).

And a special shout-out and thanks to George for being the point-man in organizing this. I've long been thinking we needed to organize something here in the LA Metro area and am more than pleased you took the initiative here. Very Happy

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 4:09 pm    

Sounds good... I'm in. Been a long time since I had a good Shepherd's Pie, and the C&F is in my neighborhood.

Cara Batema

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 5:07 pm    

will add this to my calendar! yay Smile

Boo Bernstein

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2022 8:22 am    

I will try my hardest to be there, too! George, thanks for taking the lead on this!

George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2022 11:36 am    

Boo: good to hear -- I checked out your show at the Coffee Gallery -- what a fantastic tone from your steel! Really enjoyed it. OK, Skip was good as well. Just a little hard to move around in that room Smile

Rick: appreciate it -- been wanting to get this going for a while (years) now.

Everybody: please see other, newer thread on this with the meetup details -- I wrote down all the RSVPs in this thread.