The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kenny Price steeler?
Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2022 8:29 pm    

Anyone know who’s playing on this? I’ve looked, but can’t find anything on it. Cute song, and excellent steel guitar playing! I’m thinking maybe Weldon?

https://youtu.be/Py_aEkl-qwY

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2022 5:39 am     Great

Kenny used to be on local TV, the Midwestern Hayride in the Cincinatt
Dayton ,northern Kentucky area often,with Bonnie Lou and others..I was little then...I still love to hear "Sherriff of Boone County" song.vert funny stuff...

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2022 6:35 am    

I think Weldon most if not all of his sessions. Here's my favorite:

https://youtu.be/PDplFSIA0Bw

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2022 6:45 am    

His albums thru the years had Weldon Myrick/Lloyd Green/Hal Rugg.; you have to decide who it is on what..ah...ha.
Ricky

Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2022 4:56 pm    

Thanks for the replies.

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2022 5:05 pm    

That's country music !

Tony

Tim Hurst

Newport, TN
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2022 5:10 pm    

I really like the steel outro on his version of "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head", much like the horn on B.J. Thomas'
version.

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2022 6:09 pm    

I don’t recognize this as any session player of this era. I do know, Curly Chalker played a lot with Kenny many times during the Hee Haw era. If you are not familiar with Curly Chalker, google! Curly was and his playing is still the best today!

Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2022 8:01 am    

That's a Dave Kirby song.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.

Don Euton

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2022 4:23 pm    

I saw him in Houston, TX in about 1968. He put on a good show. Does anyone know who played the steel on "This Is The Shortest Song in The World?"

Don Euton

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2022 8:34 am    

Kenny was underrated as a singer IMO. The Hee Haw days focused mostly on his comedic side but, he had a great singing voice and I wished they had featured that more often.

The "Sea of Heartbreak" album also has Pete Drake on several cuts, along with Weldon and Lloyd.

Lloyd played some really awesome stuff on Kenny's "Charlotte Fever" cut (RCA) from 1971. One of my all time, favorite rides. Weldon did several cuts on that LP too... all good stuff !! If my computer would let me I'd post a link to the song.

It seems that Lloyd may have told me many years back that those sessions were some of the last he did before removing the back neck from his guitar. Ricky may be able to clarify that better than me.

Kenny had an awesome voice, that's for sure.

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2022 9:40 am    

Tiny Olson wrote:

Lloyd played some really awesome stuff on Kenny's "Charlotte Fever" cut (RCA) from 1971. One of my all time, favorite rides.

Thanks for that tip, Tiny. Had never heard that track and it's on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAPbfIY177A

Rare to hear Lloyd doubling a part like that solo, love it.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2022 2:10 pm    

Quote:
Lloyd played some really awesome stuff on Kenny's "Charlotte Fever" cut (RCA) from 1971. One of my all time, favorite rides. Weldon did several cuts on that LP too... all good stuff !! If my computer would let me I'd post a link to the song.

It seems that Lloyd may have told me many years back that those sessions were some of the last he did before removing the back neck from his guitar. Ricky may be able to clarify that better than me.

Well yes it certainly was his "Baldwin Sho~Bud" on that Charlotte Fever cut and what a cooooool solo. But not sure if that month of 1971, he had the back neck on or off ; I'll ask Lloyd; because it was quite a scene in Nashville when the back neck came off; musicians were coming out of the woodwork to see Lloyd in the studio playing this "hacked up Sho~bud"...ha....until they heard it...ha.
Ricky

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 6:20 am    

OK I asked Lloyd about those times with Kenny Price and he has some enlightening Info/Reply. Thanks Lloyd.

Quote:
Hi Ricky,
Absolutely the Baldwin Sho-Bud on “Charlotte Fever”. Those were fertile, inventive days for the steel guitar!
While the sound was probably unchanged either way, single or double, I believe we cut that song in 1970, not 1971. I have several K. Price sessions in my book for that year. Besides dates are often notoriously wrong in all the so-called ‘expert’ sections. Contracts were many times misdated too. I notice they have Curly Chalker’s name listed as “Chubby” Chalker on the few songs he cut with K. Price. He (Curly) would have been furious at that.
In conclusion, the Baldwin was still intact as a D-10, and I wasn’t yet considered a ‘ delusional heretic’ and steel guitar destroyer when we cut that at 10PM in RCA A November 18th, 1970.
Your posted description of the reaction in Nashville at the time I made the decision to say goodbye to the C6th is brilliant and better describes the strange reactions than any I’ve ever seen or read.

You can put all or none of this on the Forum if you wish.
Love ya,
Lloyd

Tiny Olson

Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 6:30 am    

Thanks so much for posting Lloyd's words Ricky. I absolutely love this stuff..!!

I took another listen to the song Lem initially asked about, "Afraid You'd Come Back." I agree with Tommy White in that I don't hear it as a known session player of that era.

That makes me wonder if it was Chuck Rich. Chuck played great and worked with Kenny quite a bit back then. It seems to me that he did do some session work with Kenny. It wouldn't surprise me if this is Chuck on this cut.

Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 11:06 am    

I got an email from a forum member telling me that they attended a Jeff Newman seminar where he was using that recording to teach steel intros, backup, etc… and that Jeff gave all the students copies of that 45 and said that it was him playing on the record. Sounds legit to me, especially since it doesn’t seem to be one of the usual session players.

Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 11:08 am    

Indeed, many thanks to Lloyd and everyone else who has commented.

Tiny Olson

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 8:22 am    

It was a fun thread Lem. I really love hearing the stories about the recording sessions of those golden days. I wanted to take a moment to thank Pete Finney for posting the link to "Charlotte Fever" as well.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 2:15 pm    

Great song, had never heard of him before, man,I have so much to learn Confused Awesome sreel playing too!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 4:33 pm    

Compliments to Lloyd as usual, but how about that drummer on Charlotte Fever??? He was a machine!!!

Tiny Olson

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 5:17 pm    

Kenny... I'm pretty sure it was Larrie Londin playing drums on that album. Willy Ackerman may be on a few cuts too. There's some awesome "tele-picking" throughout as well by Jimmie Capps, Dale Sellers and Dave Kirby. Maybe someone else too, I don't remember at the moment. The "tele phase switch" can be heard on several songs including a funky, cool version of "Workin' Man Blues." That cut has three or four tele parts complimenting each other throughout.

Lloyd plays some more cool stuff on "Super Sideman." On that album Kenny also sings "You Can't Take It With You" featuring Weldon on steel. Weldon incorporates several of his two-fret, A pedal, bar-slants on that song which are awesome..!!

I dig that whole album. Kenny sings his butt off and the musicianship is top-notch and HOT !!