Something else (post comment)
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 14

Author Topic:  Favourite Slide Tunings?
Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2022 10:45 am    

Now that we have forum section for “almost” steel guitars, I guess it’s time for a new tuning poll! Here it is…
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2022 10:48 am     Open E for me

I prefer open D tunings on my lap steels, but the extra string tension of open E keeps the slide off the fretboard better on the “armpit” guitars. So, it’s E for me, on slide.

Last edited by Allan Revich on 12 Sep 2022 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2022 1:15 pm    

I mostly use open 5 1 5 1 3 5 and 1 5 1 3 5 1 tunings, tuned up and down pretty much interchangeably, to get open strings in different keys.

For standard guitar, 5 1 5 1 3 5 would typically run between open G and open A, but might go as low as E/B-bottom and as high as B/F#-bottom. 1 5 1 3 5 1 would typically run between open D and open E, but might run as low as open C and as high as open G.

I have a couple of baritone guitars that I sometimes use for slide. Again, 5 1 5 1 3 5 and 1 5 1 3 5 1 but obviously roughly a half an octave down.

String tension needs to be kept reasonable - by that I mean not too slack (less than 20 lb/string is too slack for me), but not too tight - much of anything more than 35 pounds/string is too much for me. I prefer around 23-30 pounds/string. So I have a bunch of cheap guitars that I use for different slide tuning ranges.

If I'm OK with reduced range top-to-bottom string, I sometimes use standard dobro GBDGBD - or occasionally will set something up in a 7th tuning - this gives an easy 6th interval fretting behind the slide. But that works better with a 7- or 8-string guitar - I do not like losing the root in the middle of the tuning. I've had a few 7/8-strings set up like this over the last 10 years. The downside of most 7/8 string guitars is that the pickups are notoriously overwound for down-tuned metal players, which is fine for metal, but that's not what I'm doing, ha. So I got rid of them a while back. If I ever do that again, I'll seek out some custom pickups (probably old lap/console steel guitar pickups) and do whatever routing/filling is needed to fit them in.

I don't generally like standard tuning for slide. Of course, there are some things that can be done. But it doesn't really fit my style of slide playing. I will sometimes just quickly tune down the A string to G when I don't have a specific 'slide guitar' with me. That at least gives the low G root of a basic 1 5 1 3 tuning on the middle 4. And of course, it gives a 6th on the outside strings too.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2022 5:19 pm    

A neat trick I learned somewhere a long time ago -- so long ago I forgot where I heard about it...

If there's enough space between the first string slot and the treble edge of the nut, cut a really shallow slot in the narrow space to insert the first string for playing slide. Depending on the instrument, there may be enough space or there may not. The combination of the first string closer to the edge, and higher off the fingerboard does make a difference. It's simple to detune a tad, and pop the string out and back into either slot, and retune.

Works for me.

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2022 7:37 am    

I'll generally play bottleneck slide with Sevastapol (open D) tuning and intervals (151351). Depending on the guitar and the setup, I might tune down two frets to C or tune up two frets to E. Did Eb once for a special occasion with a horn player. For a very short excursion into "Hawaiian" sounding chords, raise the 2nd string two frets to make a sixth chord.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2022 7:40 am    

I tune to A, high bass. Very Happy
Erv

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2022 5:53 am    

My "something else" is All of the above.... Except tuning G up to A, strings won't take that without restringing for lighter gauge, and also not Open C, and not the standard guitar tuning either.

My "slide" guitar was a square neck Dobro, I would play as if it were a standard Spanish six string, upright under the arm, and not on my lap, but with a chrome plated metal "bottle neck" slide that made a brassy ringing sound and not muted at all like a glass slide. I was Elmore James, except with a Dobro. Basic tunings were open E and open G. Then sometimes I would tune down E to D. Each tuning used to get 3 or 4 songs, then I would have to re-tune. I did not own an electric guitar until about 2010. These days I do the same stuff on a Melobar electric lap steel, but I play it lying flat. I have never had the pleasure of both fretting and sliding on the same instrument...

If I would have had to choose one tuning and play all night long on that tuning it would have been open E however, that's the most necessary one.

Last edited by Richard Alderson on 8 Sep 2022 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2022 6:03 am    

I usualy use open E and sometimes D... depends on the songs I might be singing. With the open E(or D) I can play it bottle slide or dobro (lap) style.

Sam

Garrett Foster

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2022 4:33 pm     Dadf#ad

I prefer open D and anything with like intervals. I have open C on an acoustic and open E on a parlor guitar. I find it great for octave lines, single note lead lines, finger style lines, and lap-style slide playing. You can bend behind the bar for pedal-like lines. It was also similar enough to E9 PSG tunings, so it made transitioning to pedal steel easier.

Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2022 5:43 pm    

G6 high bass - GBEGBD

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

All aloha, all the time

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2022 7:45 pm    

Samuel Phillippe wrote:
I usualy use open E and sometimes D... depends on the songs I might be singing. With the open E(or D) I can play it bottle slide or dobro (lap) style.

Sam

I also like my round neck resonator for this reason. It’s great to be able to flip it into my lap. When doing this I prefer to use my finger slide, even when playing lap steel.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2022 8:44 am    

G tuning GBDGBD