The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  HELP!! Won't boot
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2022 6:25 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
I'm keeping the clone of the original drive for backup of what was on the original. I am using the original to go back in the machine as it is the one that is in the computer now, that I reformatted and was able to get the disc I created from my laptop. It does run windows.

Should I still make an image of my laptop or what is on the drive in the desktop? The only thing on the drive now is whatever the rescue disc had on it. It boots fine.

I would have a disc image (all partitions on the drive, not just "C drive") of the desktop and the laptop. As you have found out backups are not for IF you need them, but for WHEN you need them.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2022 7:51 am    

Well, since win 10 is running on my desktop. I have decided to go ahead with the WIN 11 UPGRADE. It's doing the upgrade now. We may just have succeeded in reviving that computer.

Thank you Jack for all your help and perseverance in helping me out. You're a blessing to this forum.

I will update after the Win 11 upgrade.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2022 9:23 am    

Fingers Crossed.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 12 Sep 2022 11:46 am    

Looks like Win 11 in a No Go. Tried twice. It gets to 100% installed, restarts. Then a message appears that it is undoing all changes to the computer.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2022 7:50 am    

Use the Windows 11 Media Creation tool and create the bootable flash drive and upgrade from that.
That is how I upgraded from 10 to 11.

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/download-official-windows-11-iso-file-from-microsoft.1009/

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 13 Sep 2022 10:13 am    

After the 2 failed Win 11 tries from the settings/updates & security, I went to Micros#!ts website and tried Windows 11 Installation Assistant twice. It failed too.

I clicked on the link you provided, and my antivirus shuts the connection down on the desktop computer because it detects a virus called blacklist..

I've disabled my antivirus and am downloading the ISO file now.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2022 10:57 am    

Aha! Your Anivirus, enabled, is a known cause of some upgrade failures. Disable it, or better yet uninstall it, before you try again.
Also, it you have Malwarebytes disable it before upgrading.

I use the free/built in Windows Defender, no paid or free third party anti-virus. I do have Malwarebytes.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 13 Sep 2022 11:31 am    

I disabled the antivirus. I also installed Malwarebytes off my backup disk. But even after entering my ID and key info, it errors out and won't update. So I uninstalled it. After all is done, I will go to their website and download current version.

The ISO DVD doesn't boot. I used the media creation tool. I reset the BIOS to boot off the CD/DVD, but it still is booting off the hard drive into Win 10. What do I need to do to make the ISO DVD bootable?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2022 1:15 pm    

Fast startup is probably enabled (default setting).

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 13 Sep 2022 1:19 pm    

Funny thing, I went back into Win 10 settings to check fir updates, and it is installing Win 11 again, although I have no faith that it will work. I will check that fast boot setting after Win 11 fails.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2022 1:14 pm    

Did the Win 11 upgrade succeed?

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 14 Sep 2022 1:33 pm    

I had an old version of Macrium Relect on my laptop. I tried to create a rescue thumb drive and it wouldn't do it. I am trying to do it on a DVD now as the desktop will not boot from a thumb drive. I have been looking at this screen for almost 2 hours now. The busy slider goes left to right as it should, but it had been telling me to please wait for hours. Does Macrium really take this long?. I tried downloading the most recent version and it fails during installation. I click on the install file in File Explorer, and it errors out saying it can't find the file. Heck, I found it to click on it. I've never had good luck with Macrium.

I was able to create a rescue disk on the laptop onto a thumb drive using Acronis, but the desktop doesn't see it. I have the BIOS set for removable device as boot #1. I did boot with a DVD I made a few days ago. I can't find that DVD.

My laptop has been dying for the past few years. Every time Windows updates, it slows down even more. It has one of those crappy AMD A10 processors. From the time I press the start button until I can actually do anything, takes between 5 and 10 minutes. Many times a program I clicked on won't start up, and maybe 8 out of 10 times, I get the not responding error.

I will probably wait until I pick up that Dell and get it home on Monday, try to create a rescue disk with it, and go from there.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2022 2:16 am    

If it is Win 11 compatible, then the BIOS is new enough that it should boot from a flash drive. Booting with a CD or DVD is mostly a thing of the past.

If you disabled fast start up, you should be able to access BIOS at power on/boot. There should also be an F-Key to access a boot menu and should see flash drive.

Macrium V8 should install without problems. I don't see any complaints about that on computer forums.

That screen shot of Macrium does not look like what I have.

Download Macrium V8 to the new Win 10 install. Create the rescue media from there. Also create the Win 11 bootable media from the new install with the media creation tool. Upgrade from the created Win 11 install disc or flash drive.