The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  TT-12 question/observation
Landon Johnson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2022 3:35 pm    

Always in search of.... tone!

I love my TT-12 combo and have recently started playing out with just the 202, feeding the PA via the line out on the back. I'm now using a BOSE T4S feeding an L1Pro 16 column amp.

I went back and rewatched Mr. Toy's video on the unit and discovered that the Vintage setting renders the BASS and TREBLE controls passive, while the MID stays active. I missed that first time around, and I have seen videos posted by others who apparently didn't know this either.

So I made some changes. I set the BASS and TREBLE to max, and the MID to 12:00 - this should give me a flat response, right? Well, wow it opened up the tone for me. I now have it set with BASS dimed, MID at 1:00 and TREBLE just backed off a bit from max. Cuts through the mix and my volume can come down, without being shrill. I've also found that tweaking the MID is all that is needed when accounting for different venues and their acoustics.

What a huge difference! Thought I'd share...

R Crow

Hectorville, OK USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2022 12:47 pm    

Landon, Thanks for this, I'm going to try it. I already love my 202/TT12 combination. If this makes it better, I'll owe you one. (One = ?)

Thanks, Rick

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2022 1:16 pm    

I did NOT hate my TT-202. It was my 3rd Quilter and I just didn't love it. I found a local steeler who needed it and I moved it on to him and got a Mach3 that I am digging.
I'll live with my choices just fine but now I sure do wish I could have tried this dialing in trick. Most interesting!

Michael Sawyer

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2022 2:13 pm    

Thanks i just tried this!

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2022 5:39 am    

I have a TS8 and have not seen the vintage setting.
Where is it located?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2022 5:50 am    

Ken Metcalf wrote:
I have a TS8 and have not seen the vintage setting.
Where is it located?

The "VINT" is one setting on the Voice switch on a TB202.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2022 6:10 am    

Those setting are radical for me.

My GFI has a Lawrence 710 pickup and nickel strings.

"Standard" guitar cords, not George L's.
With a Hilton or Telonics VP (maybe the Goodrich Omni): Bass 12 O'clock, Mid and Treble two clicks left from 12 O'clock (same as Travis' on a demo video I saw).
With a Goodrich 120 pot pedal: Bass two clicks left from 12 O'clock. Mid two clicks left from 12 O'clock and Treble 12 O'clock.

I usually use FullQ but on occasion I'll use the "Fender" Vint.

On guitar cords, if you go back over my old posts you will see I used and promoted George L's. When I first tried the Quilter 202 it was with George L's and I couldn't find a setting I liked and was going to return it. We had two steels at the time, a Franklin that I was testing the 202 with and a GFI Expo S-10 (my wife's). The GFI had standard guitar cords and for whatever reason I tried the 202 with the GFI and there was THE sound! I tried the 202 with the Franklin and the regular guitar cords and the same results, so the 202 was a keeper.

Last edited by Jack Stoner on 15 Sep 2022 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2022 7:42 am    

I normally use the Telecaster setting for Tele or Steel.

Hugo Knef

Vallejo , California
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2022 5:42 pm    

I tried this. Sounds great. I used to dial the treb way back. Now my steel sounds like the steel I hear on recordings. Thanks!!

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2022 7:22 am     Re: TT-12 question/observation

Landon Johnson wrote:
I set the BASS and TREBLE to max, and the MID to 12:00 - this should give me a flat response, right? Well, wow it opened up the tone for me. I now have it set with BASS dimed, MID at 1:00 and TREBLE just backed off a bit from max. Cuts through the mix and my volume can come down, without being shrill. I've also found that tweaking the MID is all that is needed when accounting for different venues and their acoustics.

I wouldn't have believed it, because like Jack Stoner, this is a pretty radical setup for me... but have to admit that on my MSA, at least on C6th with a Single Coil pickup it sounds great... I will say that on my Rittenberry on C6th its a touch on the Crispy side. With a little adjusting I think I might be pretty happy with this in the Vintage Mode.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2022 10:31 am     Re: TT-12 question/observation

Dale Rottacker wrote:
Landon Johnson wrote:
I set the BASS and TREBLE to max, and the MID to 12:00 - this should give me a flat response, right? Well, wow it opened up the tone for me. I now have it set with BASS dimed, MID at 1:00 and TREBLE just backed off a bit from max. Cuts through the mix and my volume can come down, without being shrill. I've also found that tweaking the MID is all that is needed when accounting for different venues and their acoustics.

I wouldn't have believed it, because like Jack Stoner, this is a pretty radical setup for me... but have to admit that on my MSA, at least on C6th with a Single Coil pickup it sounds great... I will say that on my Rittenberry on C6th its a touch on the Crispy side. With a little adjusting I think I might be pretty happy with this in the Vintage Mode.

I tried it, just to see. I only have E9th, with a Lawrence 710 pickup and Goodrich pot pedal. Way too much bass and treble. Back to "my settings".