The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Toy in my shop
Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2022 3:55 am    

I recently added a new Toy in my shop.

Taig Mini CNC. I got this unit from a retiering knife maker in really good shape with computer and control softwear been reading up on the operation and working on wrighting G code BIG learning curve but I'm making progress did some changer fingers.

Barry

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2022 11:20 am    

I have one just like it. Nice little machine.

The only problem I ever had with it is the column wanting to tilt when I didn't want it to--I was cutting changer fingers.. I took a piece of 80 grit sandpaper and glued the back side so that it had grit on both sides, and tightened the column with the sandpaper in between the two pieces of the tilt mechanism. Problem solved.

Enjoy!
Dave

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2022 11:33 am    

Thanks for the heads up I'll look at that its a neat little machine not super fast but at my age nether am I. Laughing Laughing

Barry

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2022 10:20 am    

Barry, kudos to you for your offers to machine parts that might not be available otherwise or just for better parts.

I think you are making a fine contribution to the forum and the steel guitar community.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2022 10:41 am    

Thanks so much Jerry for the kind words I have had several people here on the forum have me build parts for both Pedal and lap steels I am close to retierment and getting my post retierment hobbies set up. I enjoy making parts for these insterments and enjoy in my little way keeping some great musical equipment both working and upgraded for better playability.

Thanks again Jerry
Barry

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2022 3:15 pm    

Barry, that's a great hobby and a wonderful addition to our community. Thanks for sharing your talents.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2022 4:17 pm    

Hey Larry I really enjoy making the parts but more than that I like the fact that I can help keep some great old guitars sing there songs for years to come. I hope to have a growing inventory of parts drawings and designs for not only repairs but for adding knees and pedals too.

Thanks Barry

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2022 6:28 pm     Wonderful!

Wonderful! Maybe there is hope for us over the hill guys after all Laughing Laughing Laughing
Best wishes on the learning curve. Just watch the sharp bends so you don't fall and break your hip Laughing Laughing Laughing
Seriously, Good luck and looking forward to see what you do.
Those finger are sure looking good for a start. Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2022 6:34 pm    

Thanks Andy My learning curve is a little like Driffting on a Bicycle but I'm too hard headed to give up.

Thanks Man
Barry

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2022 6:49 pm    

👍 Great attitude and ambition. Best wishes for a successful hobby.

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2022 6:29 pm    

Good to hear !!!! When I get past my current project I have another in mind and will need special parts.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin