The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Case for assembled steel
Jerry Clardy

El Paso, Texas, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 3:40 pm    

Is anyone making a case for an assembled steel? One that allows the instrument to be moved from one location to another without being torn down? Preferably on wheels.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 4:11 pm    

There used to be a guy at the convention who had a booth where he was selling a big aluminum box that was a steel case that held an assembled steel.
I think the name of the outfit was FASTEEL CASES.
They are listed in the Related Products section in the Links at the top of this page, but the link is dead.
Here is a link to an old discussion of the idea: http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/002659.html

Jerry Clardy

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 8:05 pm    

Thanks, Pete - I'll check it out.

The idea is to allow for quick stage changes between groups and locations. Come to think of it, a platform dolly with large wheels would probably work but there's no protection. As far as stress problems, some padded brackets could be used to support the body and take the stress off the endplates and leg mounts. Set up time is not long for a S10 3p but the time is considerable for a guitar with 8 or more pedals. There is also a need to check the tuning again after the guitar is set upside down in the case. The case for the assembled guitar will probably need to be transported by truck or van unless the guitar goes to the gig in the regular case and the case for the assembled guitar is collapsible.

[This message was edited by Jerry Clardy on 07 September 2004 at 09:25 PM.]

Jerry Clardy

Post  Posted 8 Sep 2004 11:38 am    

b0b - Please close. This looks like it will be a custom item.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2004 6:05 pm    

Jerry, before this closes, have you thought about a low cart with your guitar case lying on it, open the case turn the guitar upside down and roll it off without tearing it down?
Jerry

Jerry Clardy

Post  Posted 8 Sep 2004 7:23 pm    

Jerry - Thanks for the idea. That's probably along the lines of what I'll have to do. I was trying to keep away from detuning when putting the guitar in the case. I always manage to knock it out of tune some. Another thing I'm thinking about is just a dolly that is big enough to set the guitar on and roll it. I think an amp would set under the guitar and both could be moved at once. It's strange that I would need something like this but just last weekend I had a gig to setup in one place for 1 hour and then move down a hallway and into an elevator to another location for another two hours with only 30 minutes to make the switch. I also had to carry my wife's bass rig and set it up in that amount of time. That pretty well locked it into a regular guitar only gig. If I can shorten setup times, maybe I can use the steel next time. I also had a similar problem two weeks ago because of having to pack in a long way, the setup time was a problem. I think you're right, though. A big dolly with big wheels will probably solve my problems.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2004 7:36 pm    

Quote:
I was trying to keep away from detuning when putting the guitar in the case. I always manage to knock it out of tune some.
What kind of guitar and case do you have? I don't know if Thomas Case does it for all of his cases, but the ones he made for Dekley almost 20 years ago were properly blocked such that the pegheads, changers, and strings were all suspended above the bottom of the case.

Not doing that seems to be one of cost-cutting measures a lot of manufacturers are using these days. I seriously doubt they're not having their cases blocked just to save less than a pound the blocks would add.

With a properly blocked case and a Rock N Roller cart, Jerry Roller's suggestion is right on.

Jerry Clardy

Post  Posted 8 Sep 2004 7:53 pm    

It's just a D10 LG II. I don't blame the case so much as my bumping the keys when putting it in and out of the case. I think the big dolly configuration will work for me.