The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  '74 Emmons D10 fatback SOLD
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2022 11:27 am    

one-of-a-kind Emmons fatback push-pull with 8x5, built in 1974 (ser# 1881 D).
one of the few Emmons with a mahogany body, the tone is amazing and seems slightly less bright than other Emmons guitars. this is probably the prettiest Emmons I've ever seen.

refinished in the mid 2000s with a stunning sunburst maple veneer by the great AJ Nelson, famous for his cabinet work with Sho-Bud and Show Pro. it was priced at 6k when Lynn Stafford acquired it shortly thereafter and became his personal guitar for several years. the guitar was also owned by Cal Sharp prior to the refinish and both Cal and Lynn recall its excellent tone.

upon refinishing, two metal plates were professionally made and installed at the changer end, either to help prevent or cover any cracks in the finish which is somewhat common in that area and the main reason for the refinish in the first place. whatever the reason for the plates, there are no cracks near the changer. there is some minor cracking along the trim on both the front and back apron at the endplate on the keyhead side (see pics). these cracks are strictly cosmetic and barely noticeable, inspected by Bryan Adams who determined there is no damage to the body itself.

aside from a small bar ding here and there, the guitar is extremely clean on top and especially underneath. playability is absolutely superb thanks to the Lynn Stafford treatment. I spoke with Lynn at length about this guitar which he remembers fondly and recommends highly. I even offered the guitar to him before listing but he has reverted to wider pedal spacing since owning it.

pedal setup is standard Emmons for both necks. on E9, the E's raise and lower on LKL and LKR respectively. vertical lever lowers string 5 (B to Bb). RKL raises strings 1&2 a whole and half, and lowers string 6 a whole (G# to F#). RKR lowers strings 2 and 9 with a feel stop on string 2.
on C6, RKL raises string 4 (A to Bb) and RKR lowers string 3 (C to B).

comes with custom tooled leather and crushed velour case in excellent condition, as is the leg bag. I will also include the mint D2F cover made specifically for this guitar. price is $4500 and I'm happy to drive several hours to meet/deliver in order to avoid shipping, but will ship if need be.

Last edited by scott murray on 19 Aug 2022 8:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2022 9:44 am    

SOLD