The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jeff Newman
Gary Kaye

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2022 8:10 pm    

Anyone know what steel Jeff was playing in the mid 90’s. All I know is it was red and sustained beyond belief. He certainly know how to,pull tone out of a instrument and make it sing!
Thanks

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2022 8:17 pm    

He played many steel guitars. I know he had a red Kline and others, but the one I saw him play the most in that era was the red Uni ZumSteel.

He was a tremendous player besides being a teacher and his tone was super. Of course, he sounded terrific on all of them.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 5:33 am    

I just posted a video yesterday from the mid 90's and Jeff is playing his infamous CARTER. Yep, tone to the bone.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 2:35 pm    

What was "infamous" about Jeff Newman's Carter guitar? Thanks!

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 4:05 pm    

Because Jeff was the one playing it Smile
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 5:24 pm    

Does anyone know what was Jeff's interest and involvement in aviation? Did he ever work as a pilot?

Don Euton

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2022 5:52 pm    

Darrell, pilot certification information is public and can be obtained from the FAA web site. Does anyone know if Jeff`s full name is Jeffery Paul Newman?
Don Euton

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2022 3:50 pm     Re: Jeff Newman

Gary Kaye wrote:
Anyone know what steel Jeff was playing in the mid 90’s. All I know is it was red and sustained beyond belief. He certainly know how to, pull tone out of a instrument and make it sing!
Thanks

I bet you say that about all the red guitars! Cool

^

Matt Elsen

Deer Harbor, Orcas Island, WA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2022 1:40 pm    

Didn't Jeff also have a red Thomas guitar at that time?

and the red Zum pictured in this thread:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=114405&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25&sid=fe2fd3ed4b5a51f897354679971bdb17

Last edited by Matt Elsen on 20 Aug 2022 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rick Kornacker

Dixon Springs, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2022 6:11 am     info about Jeff N.

Just chiming in on info regarding Jeff N., my late father in-law. His middle name was indeed Paul, his son is Jeff Paul Newman, Jr. Jeff played the fire out of his red Uni Zumsteel(I have no idea where that guitar is now) for many years, as well as various other guitars, including the Thomas that was mentioned. Jeff had a pilot's license but never worked as a professional pilot, owning only private craft for his own pleasure. In his later years he was more interested in things that had to do with flying...real airplanes and radio-control models. Hope this clears up a few things. Jeff was certainly a "mensch" and quite the person to have had for a father-in-law! We all miss him for many good reasons, I'm sure. Respectfully submitted, RK Smile

Don Euton

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2022 6:14 pm    

According to the FAA Airman Details Report, Jeffery Paul Newman was issued a Commercial Pilot Certificate on 6-12-1984. He had Commercial Pilot ratings for Airplane Single Engine land and Airplane Multiengine Land. He probably had a Private Pilot Certificate before he received his Commercial.
One of my favorites on U Tube is him playing ANOTHER BRIDGE TO BURM on the Opry with Little Jimmy Dickens.

Don Euton

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2022 8:08 pm    

Don Euton wrote:
According to the FAA Airman Details Report, Jeffery Paul Newman was issued a Commercial Pilot Certificate on 6-12-1984. He had Commercial Pilot ratings for Airplane Single Engine land and Airplane Multiengine Land. He probably had a Private Pilot Certificate before he received his Commercial.
One of my favorites on U Tube is him playing ANOTHER BRIDGE TO BURM on the Opry with Little Jimmy Dickens.

Don Euton

Don,

Do you have a link to Jeff with Jimmy Dickens on Another Bridge To Burn?

RC

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2022 6:38 am    

When Newman did a seminar in the Twin Cities back in the late '70s, he played a rosewood 'mica Emmons D-10 that was detailed with International Harvester tractor markings and striping. The seminar was sponsored by the local Emmons dealer (Clem Schmitz).

Would anyone happen to have a photo of that guitar? It looked pretty sharp.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2022 3:11 pm    

Carter Steel Guitar

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2022 10:08 am    

Rick Campbell wrote:
Don Euton wrote:

Don Euton

Don,

RC

Rick, is this the link you want ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgrC8OGBKWU

Don Euton

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2022 5:19 pm    

Rick & John, I lost the link when I switched computers several months ago. If you do a search " Another Bridge to BURN Jimmy Dickins it will be there. It was about 2009 at the grand old Opera. The one I had was not real clear.
Jeff was the Opera`s steel player that night. The band members had white shirts. That was the best I have heard anyone play that song.
Don Euton

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2022 8:40 pm    

John Sluszny wrote:
Rick Campbell wrote:
Don Euton wrote:

Don Euton

Don,

RC

Rick, is this the link you want ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgrC8OGBKWU

Thanks, but no. That's not Jeff Newman. That's Pee Wee Roger's. It's my favorite cut of Another Bridge To Burn.

RC

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2022 6:28 pm    

IF I remember right, around in the second half of the 90's, he was SEEN playing his Zum, then the Carter (introducing the extra long LKV and the Thomas.
All were RED because he needed them to play FAST! Very Happy

I BELIEVE the Zum had a diagonal yellow inlay some sort and one of them a "Diesel" or something label (for added fun).

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Tom Mossburg

AZ,
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2022 9:53 pm     Jeff's Guitars

I took a class from Jeff back in '78. He had a few guitars there he played but the one that caught my eye and ear was an S10 orange Zum. He played the crap out of that guitar. I don't know when he released it but on his "Few Good Friends" album, he used three different steels and didn't say which steel was used on which song. He made them all sound good.