The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Profex 2 problem
Walter Jones

Athens, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2022 4:46 pm    

Peavey Profex 2 LED screen reads output muted. What's wrong or how do you get out of this.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2022 5:49 pm    

Hopefully you have done the Ken Fox battery replacement mod. If not, open the top cover and look at the battery that has likely leaked acid on the board. If it's not leaking contact Ken Fox and get his mod kit. It comes with instructions. Lots of posts on this on the forum.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2022 9:38 am     outputs muted

This is usually the result of the user memory chip losings its settings due to a low battery. Memory is scrambled. A reset will not fix the issue of a dead battery.
Worst case is damage from battery leakage

Walter Jones

Athens, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2022 5:27 pm     Profex 2 Ken Fox battery-less Chips

If you are thinking of buying a Profex 2 by all means ask for a picture of the battery if it is still installed. The picture will show what I started with. As you can see the battery has leaked pretty bad, it destroyed the 1 meg resistor and caused some damage to the board. With a lot careful cleaning and replacement of two resistors at the end of the battery it was worth a shot. The Chip that Ken Fox has is the real ticket, let alone the guidance and directions for Ken. If you are not experienced with a low watt soldering gun I suggest you get someone to help you that is. It is very tight working space on the board and flow through solder holes in the board, just be very careful, use a high intensity lamp and a magnifying glass to make sure you do not get onto another circuit trace on the board.

I made a small tool to assist in removing the required chip, it does not come out easy, just take your time. Again, tight space around other chips. Now the good news, Follow Kens directions and plug in the chip. Power up the unit and see all 128 Steel Guitar programs come up immediately.

In the upper right corner of the picture with the new chip installed you can see some of the damage where the leaking battery was installed, however I was able to work around this. All that is left now is to get the unit mounted back in the rack.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2022 7:40 am    

Good job Walter. Ken is the best and has probably fixed more of these than anyone. I'm sure he instructed you to clean and neutralize the board from acid damage. Great to see these brought back to life.

Dag Wolf

Bergen, Norway
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2022 6:31 am    

It’s been years since I’v used mine. Isn’t it a function by holding two buttons for a second or two and you will mute the outputs?
The manual should show this.

Dag