The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which Reverb pedal do you use and why
Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2022 4:58 am    

b0b wrote:

I've been drooling over the Source Audio Collider for a couple of weeks now. Expensive, though. Has anyone tried it?

www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ColliderDlyRev--source-audio-collider-stereo-delayreverb-pedal

b0b, Tommy Detamore uses these, or did recently.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2022 5:33 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:

Why? It's a one trick pony, but I really like its single trick.
If you like the old (or reissued) Fender 6G15 spring units, you'll probably like the Sole-Mate.

Jack... Does this have a real spring in it?

The best reverb unit I ever had was a Furman Sound RV1 single rack space spring reverb unit. That paired with a Furman Sound PQ3 parametric EQ/preamp was the best setup I ever played through. Better than Peavey (which I like), Webb (which I also like), and Evans (again, I like them too), but the Furman setup is the one I would still like to have to this day. It was to die for.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2022 6:22 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:

Jack... Does this have a real spring in it?

Yes. The stock Sole-Mate reverb tank is the same as the one Fender installs in their Blues Juniors (among others), the 8EB2C1B.

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2022 6:37 am    

I use a Catalinbread Talisman (excellent plate sound). I use a Lexicon MPX550 and a Lexicon 200 at home, but for flying etc., to me that little reverb sounds really good.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Last edited by Susan Alcorn on 10 Aug 2022 11:28 am; edited 2 times in total

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2022 7:13 am    

Before amps came out with reverb, I bought this unit from Fender.
Ken Fox makes a similar unit.
It's still hard to beat! Very Happy
Erv

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2022 8:49 am    

I’m a fan of the Neunabar Wet Reverb, but was wondering, has anybody tried the Fender Marine Layer, and if so, what was your impression?

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2022 9:58 am    

I use the Dispatch Master and the NUX Atlantic

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2022 11:13 am    

I use the TC Electronics Hall of Fame 2 generally on the Hall setting, but it has some other nice ones too. I also use a HOF Mini in my “B3” chain for a touch of ambience. They give me what I need.

MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2022 11:22 am    

Neunaber specializes in ambient effects. I have their Echelon echo. It's among the best I've heard.

Gary Newcomb

AustinTexas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2022 4:40 pm    

Here’s another vote for the Neunaber Wet. Very transparent to deeply trippy vibes and a very natural response. Also liked the mxr m300 for more variety of verbs… For some reason I never have bonded with the Strymon verbs though I really love the way they sound on other peoples rigs.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2022 8:08 pm    

If the amp reverb is not working I use an eventide H9 on the stock plate setting. It’s an amazing box. Great for all sorts of things.

Last edited by Bob Hoffnar on 26 Aug 2022 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2022 8:35 pm    

Given my druthers, I prefer pure Fender spring reverb. I have a '64 or '65 blackface/black-tolex with white knobs Fender 6G15. I've had several 6G15s over the last 40 years. They are the bomb for true drippy/surfy goodness. A good onboard reverb on an old Fender brown/black/silverface amp like the Princeton/Deluxe/Vibrolux/Vibroverb/Super/Pro/Twin is just fine too. Of course, a good-sounding reverb pan is essential.

My favorite reverb 'pedal' is the Catalinbread Topanga. I use it on my surf band pedal board if I don't take the 6G15 - it really is a killer spring reverb. But on my small pedal steel board, I typically use an EHX Oceans 11. The spring setting is very good, and there are a bunch of other cool sounds there that work for steel too. Even a decent sounding tremolo.

I also use a Digitech Hardwire RV-7 stereo reverb on my big board for when I use multiple guitars with steel and more than one amp. The Lexicon reverbs are pretty good, and stereo allows more routing/switching flexibility with multiple amps.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2022 12:07 pm    

I love my EMT plate reverb pedal, but it sure is a pain taking it on the gig...

Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2022 1:07 pm    

I currently use the Strymon Blue Sky reverb. I like it a lot because the controls allow me to dial in the sound I want. It has one memory location to save a setup which allows me to switch between a saved setup for my acoustic instrument and the current setup for my lap steel. Having said that, the blue Sky suffers from the same issue that most pedals with an option to save a setup. If you want to tweak the saved setup, you have to have recorded all of the controls settings with a camera or pencil and paper.

I recently bought a TC-Electronic Flashback Delay 2 pedal that has three memory locations for custom setups. These are editable with a free app. Their Hall of Fame 2 reverb pedal has the same three custom memory locations as the Flashback delay and has an app to edit the custom setups.

I have been thinking seriously about selling my Blue Sky and buying a Hall of Fame 2.

Brandon Schafer

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2022 2:35 pm    

I love using modern Telonics amps and volume pedals, but the boring old Boss RV-3 just gets the reverb/delay combo I like to hear right every time. It’s simple to use, inexpensive and I can make one sound like I want within a matter of seconds.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2022 4:21 pm    

Benado Steel Dream. It has a wide range of tone shaping functionality for reverb and delay. The NutraDrive is great for overdrive, but can just as easily serve as a great clean boost. Adjustments are straightforward. You don't have to be an electronics whiz.

I like the TC Hall of Fame unit if a smaller footprint is desired.

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2022 6:29 pm     Reverb

Wampler Faux Spring Reverb

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2022 5:03 am    

Hard to beat a good 1964 Accutronics spring tank. I carry a Boss RV-5 as a backup, and there's a Lexicon PCM70 at home in the studio for just in case.

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2022 8:44 am     Spring Reverb In Strymon El Capistan

Presently, I’m using the latest version (V2) Strymon El Capistan into a Fender Twin Reverb Tone Master. The reverb is easier to access and mix with a small amount of delay in the newer version and sounds better to me than the amps onboard reverb.

(These are not my settings 😂)

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2022 2:06 pm     Reverb

Using this Alexis Midiverb for 30 years..easy to program reverbs and delays. Great leslies and others effects also. Very Happy

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2022 4:08 pm    

For all the Daniel Lanois fans JHS just announced a new "Octave Reverb" for all the "shimmer" style verb needs.

Quote:

The JHS 3 Series Octave Reverb is the company's take on the classic Eno/Lanois shimmer effect. This stompbox delivers everything from sublime, hall-like ambience to swelling octave overtones, via intuitive, top-panel controls. The Octave Reverb enables you to dial in the size and intensity of your reverb via Verb and Decay knobs, while a third knob feeds the octave into your reverberated signal. An Up/Down switch toggles between +1 and -1 octaves, allowing you to achieve both symphonic shimmers and unique octave-down effects for your reverb tails. The 3 Series Octave Reverb offers a unique alternative to plain-vanilla reverbs. If you don't have a shimmer 'verb on your pedalboard, this budget-friendly guitar effect is an absolute no-brainer.

Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Last edited by John Larson on 30 Dec 2022 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2022 9:00 pm    

Although I haven’t used it in many years, I have have a Lexicon in my rack system. I like it more than spring reverbs, because it has really good “hall” and “plate” reverbs. IMO, realistically simulated plate reverbs are way better than any combo amp-based spring reverbs. As many may agree, Lexicon is legendary for their reverbs, if not their delays.

Keep on pickin’!
Glenn

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2022 9:05 pm    

John Macy wrote:
I love my EMT plate reverb pedal, but it sure is a pain taking it on the gig...

Laughing ‘Love it, John!

Keep on pickin’!
Glenn

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2022 9:27 am     Which reverb pedal do you use and whu?

Mono Wet Reverb because it sounds good and only has two knobs. Simple and fast to use. I have a 2nd one as a backup.

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 12:43 am     Re: Which Reverb pedal do you use and why

Larry Behm wrote:
?.???

Catalinbread Topanga Spring Reverb
because of the dripppppp...... Cool

Very Happy permission for more reverb???