The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Heavy Stainless Strings
Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2022 12:25 pm    

I am in search of Stainless Strings larger than 0.070's... preferably 0.072 or 0.074. I am presently using a Nickel 0.072 on this particular steel with all the other strings being Stainless (which is my preference). Does anybody know of a brand that makes a Stainless String this big, and maybe a vendor who carries them? I am duplicating this post in 'Steel Without Pedals'.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2022 9:06 pm    

In the SIT 12 U Stainless Steel strings, The 12th string in the set is .068. Stainless Steel.

SIT also makes a C6th Stainless Steel set with a .068 string 10th string set.

This is the largest Stainless pedal steel guitar strings I find listed by any manufacture.

I like the sound of the Nickel .068 wound better than the .068 Stainless wound, On a 12 Universal.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2022 5:03 am    

I used to be able to order .079 but not any more. Manufacturer said just not enough demand.

I stock the George L's .070 Stainless if that would help
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2022 6:08 pm    

Several manufacturers make a .070 W !!
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2022 8:23 pm     Just Strings has so much

Hi Jeff,
Try the man at Just Strings. He has so much good string stuff of so many brands, good service and if anyone has what you need, it could be him.
They are very nice and friendly to deal with.
Best wishes,
Andy
https://www.juststrings.com/
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 6:59 am    

https://kaliummusic.com/product/universal-length-076-round-wound-hybrid-guitar-string/

https://www.juststrings.com/jps-nw076.html

you just want to ask to make SURE these are GUITAR strings... as BASS strings have thicker ball ends.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2022 7:51 am    

At one time, you could get a .074, but when I tried to fit one, it wouldn't go into the tuners on my guitar. The largest that would go was a .072 (something to keep in mind if you're contemplating a larger string gauge).

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2022 8:46 am    

We carry several brands of singles in The Steel Guitar Forum Store, but the only ones heavier than .070 are GHS nickel wound (a.k.a. Boomers). We have .074 and .080 in stock. Stainless wounds are not available in those gauges.

https://www.steelguitarshopper.com/ghs-boomer-nickel-wound-singles/

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2022 10:51 am    

b0b wrote:
We carry several brands of singles in The Steel Guitar Forum Store, but the only ones heavier than .070 are GHS nickel wound (a.k.a. Boomers). We have .074 and .080 in stock. Stainless wounds are not available in those gauges.

Thanks B0b... but you might want to check availability... because while it says on the listing that there are 3 o80's, available... ordering only one alone seems impossible because the system then claims that there is no stock.

Thanks!... J-D.

Donny Hinson wrote:
At one time, you could get a .074, but when I tried to fit one, it wouldn't go into the tuners on my guitar. The largest that would go was a .072 (something to keep in mind if you're contemplating a larger string gauge).

It's a problem with some keyless guitars too. Most sets now only pack o68's as the bottom C... and some guitars will battle o.70.s
While I doubt it would be your case, Donny, I think it's worth while mentioning that one has to make sure to be buying GUITAR-strings and not accidentally get bass strings strings sent instead. These "sausages" are born completely different, even the ball end is bigger, they won't fit on either end.

Well, long gone are the days of Curly's tuning and 14 string Sierra's with low A strings.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2022 12:36 pm    

b0b wrote:

J D Sauser wrote:

Thanks B0b... but you might want to check availability... because while it says on the listing that there are 3 o80's, available... ordering only one alone seems impossible because the system then claims that there is no stock.

Thanks!... J-D.

I just tried and had no problem adding a GHS-DY80 to my shopping cart from the link above, and then deleting it when viewing the cart. At what stage did it balk, J-D?

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2022 2:38 pm    

b0b wrote:
b0b wrote:

J D Sauser wrote:

Thanks!... J-D.

I just tried and had no problem adding a GHS-DY80 to my shopping cart from the link above, and then deleting it when viewing the cart. At what stage did it balk, J-D?

I started from scratch on a different browser. THAT did it. Had to outsmart "smart". I HATE "smart". I demand a one-button "Opt Out Of Smart" option on every machine, program and app!

I left on each for somebody else... I hope you can get more.

Thanks!... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.