The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "A pedal only" foot position
George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2022 9:17 am    

(This is for Emmons-type pedal setup)

If I am only playing the A pedal, and want to make sure I stay off the B pedal, I have the habit of rotating my left foot to the left, completely off the B pedal. Of course, if I see ahead that I have to cover the B, I won't do it, but otherwise, I personally don't see any harm in it -- after all, we move the foot all ovedr the damn place anyway and I can get greater control and expression out of the A if I don't have to worry about the B.

I only bring this up as there is a pro steeler who always tells me not to do this.

Opinions?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2022 10:29 am    

I would keep my foot over both pedals, and twist my ankle to lift my big toe off the B pedal. I never shift my foot to just cover the A pedal. Although I am a Day player, I started on Emmons for about 6 months. After 51+years of playing Day, I can still play Emmons.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2022 11:45 am    

I keep my foot on A&B all the time, since that's where 80%-90% of my playing is done. When I have to cover P1 or P4, I just rotate by pivoting on the heel. My P5 on E9th is the only pedal I have to do a "lift and move". Mr. Green

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2022 12:10 pm    

I've seen the cat who came up with splitting up pedals and many of the greats use both methods.
Since I dedicate myself to C6th, and even though my unconventional setup is laid out so I have 5 pedal PAIR positions, I have come to grips with the fact that I have to master both methods.

With 3 pedals (E9th) that seems an easy decision which ought to turn from a discipline to a subconscious ability in weeks. And I am no kid either... anymore.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2022 6:02 am    

My ankle doesn't roll off the B pedal for the A only position very well, like it does for the B pedal only position. My body just can't do it, and adjusting pedal height to make that work easier, works against rolling off the A to keep B engaged. So I just pivot my foot over for the A only position. I'm sure I'm missing some stuff that being to able to roll the other way allows, but short of surgery to put a better 'hinge' in my ankle, not much I can do about it.

I also play a lot of stuff with A pedal engaged like a non-pedal tuning, i.e. the A pedal stays down and I use that change with the 9th string for 'C neck' sort of voicings (Thanks Jody Cameron! https://jodycameronpsg.com/downloads/using-the-9th-string/ ) and it can stay engaged for long sections. It seems to make sense to me to move your foot over for that.

Jon Irsik

Wichita, KS USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2022 6:26 am    

I saw a player do this "A pedal only" move and it was a bit of a revelation, I had never thought of doing that before. I gave it a try but it was awkward, I missed the pedal by a bit and using only the A pedal the change didn't sound as in-tune as using both. Since I don't particularly have an issue to begin with I didn't pursue it.

Whatever works, I suppose.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2022 6:06 pm    

If you raise the "A" pedal a little higher than the "B" pedal it's a little easier, and less of an ankle bend, to roll off the B pedal and activate A --- same when you have both A and B activated - just a small ankle roll !!! Very Happy
Easy Peasy !!
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2022 6:36 pm    

Gary Carter seems to do the A pedal only thing at times, as well as the AB rolling on/off...

https://youtu.be/TI56hQOsmos