The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  0 pedal
Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2022 11:13 am    

I have a Franklin pedal on my Mullen: 4 pedal 5 knee, Standard Emmons with a 1/2 stop RKL 1st string and a 7th raise. I'm playing mainly 90s Nashville, and transcribing a lot of 60s Merle and Buck Owens (Mooney, Brumley, etc).
I'm curious about uses for this pedal. I have transcribed some of Paul's work and purchased courses on the Bakersfield series, and a few others. I find the change as set up interesting, but not too useful for what I'm playing in general. What other uses could I find for this extra pedal? Or what am I missing?

Thanks
Bryce

Double bass, Mike Lull V4, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,

Steve Leal

Orange CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2022 7:31 pm    

Please let us know your complete setup. Then we can give you some options that would work good with your setup.

Thanks, Steve

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2022 5:58 am    

Hi Bryce,
I too have a Mullen G2 and an RP. I have the 0 pedal on both, but find little uses for it in general playing with the band. I would like to find a good option to put on that pedal. I have lowering the 6th on a knee lever. Suggestions from anyone on this? It would help both Bryce and myself out. Thanks

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2022 7:37 am    

(edited post)

Roy & Bryce -

Do a search on Forum.

A few players have modified an 'extra pedal' to raise / lower certain E9 strings to provide a pseudo C6th tuning on their single neck steel

Ron

Last edited by Ron Funk on 4 Aug 2022 6:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2022 12:01 pm    

Hi Ron

I think Roy and I are not finding much use for the Franklin change (which we have on the 0 pedal) and are looking for other COPEDENT to use the pedal for.

I currently have:

Standard Emmons P1-3

1st RKL +1/2, +1H
2nd RKR -1/2, -1H
3rd
4th LKL +1/2 LKR -1/2
5th LKV -1/2
6th RKL -1/2, -1H
7th RKL +1/2, +1
8th LKL +1/2 LKR -1/2
9th RKR -1/2
10th LKV -1/2 ( I have to re check at home but I think there is a -1 on RKR)

It would be nice to have a C6 or other 6th config in sequential order (CEGACE or equivalent) with a single change for western swing, for example of what I might do with the extra pedal

Bryce

Double bass, Mike Lull V4, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2022 1:47 pm     0 pedal

This is off the wall, on my S10s I have the 10th (E) and the 9 (B); I use the 0 pedal to raise the 9 to C# as we play a lot of old rock and blues..this gives me the old guitar Boogie bottom on 8 9 & 10… The 7-1 are standard E9.. Shocked

Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2022 3:45 pm    

been trying to get a lap steel tuning on my E9, I think I may have penciled it out here... excited to go home and try it out:

P0 (franklin pedal):

4 E
5 C P0 +1/2
6 A P0 +1/2
7 G RKL +1/2
8 E
9 C P0 +1

Thoughts?

Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2022 9:52 pm    

I was on the right track but last post not correct

4. E
5. C. +1/2 on P0
6. A +1/2 on P0
7. G +1/2 on P0
8 E
9 C -1 on rkr (I’ll move to P0 when I get a new pull assembly)

Now I have a true C6. And when I move the 9 -1 to P0 I’ll have it all on one pedal. I’m happy with that

Steve Leal

Orange CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2022 11:30 pm    

Hi Bryce,

I like your idea of using the extra pedal to convert tuning to C6! Let us know how it works out!

I suggest not to raise 7 on same lever as lowering 6 as that will limit each of the changes possible uses.

On my Mullen, I lower my Bs to As on a knee lever (with a spring loaded bump stop at the Bb note). This whole step drop is really musical to give a nice dissonant 2 minor chord when in open position, and a nice major 7 chord after stepping on AB pedals. Works great while lowering 6 a whole step on a different lever/pedal, and even more so when able to lower Es in combination. I lower 6 on my extra pedal. I raise 1 a whole step and 2 a half step on my vertical. Loving this setup.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2022 6:55 am    

Smile

Last edited by Roger Rettig on 4 Aug 2022 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2022 9:19 am    

Hey Steve

Great idea on the B-A lower. What lever do you use?

I did run into the trouble with the change on 6 and 7 interfering on RKL, so I moved the 7 +1/2 to the 0 pedal as well.

Last night, I moved all my Franklin rods to the following strings;

Raise 5 +1/2 to C
Raise 6 +1/2 to A
Raise 7 + 1/2 to G

I also tuned my RKR from -1/2 to -1 for the C on 9.

So I have a true "in line C6" if you will. But the RKR is inconvenient to hold, and I don't have a 1/2 stop on that side yet to get back to my -1/2 in tune on RKR.

I don't use the low C that often on lap, but I think it is useful so my solution is to get another rod and bell to pull the 9 down -1 on the Franklin (0) pedal. That way it's truly a 1 pedal change to get a C6 without skipping strings

I can say, what I was playing this morning was fantastic just holding one pedal for most of it, and the RKR to complete the C6 on the bottom. This will be great once I put another change on the 0 pedal for 9th string, so I don't have to stop the band and grab my lap steel for the western swing, or go back to a double neck.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2022 9:35 am    

Listen to Mike Johnson, too. He uses this pedal all the time. It can be heard on a bunch of stuff..

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2022 9:38 am    

Hi Tim

Which pedal are you referring to for Mike Johnson? Do you have a link to some info or recordings that you recommend related to that?

Thanks
Bryce

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2022 9:52 am    

Bryce Van Parys wrote:
I was on the right track but last post not correct

4. E
5. C. +1/2 on P0
6. A +1/2 on P0
7. G +1/2 on P0
8 E
9 C -1 on rkr (I’ll move to P0 when I get a new pull assembly)

Now I have a true C6. And when I move the 9 -1 to P0 I’ll have it all on one pedal. I’m happy with that

This is AKA the "Sigler pedal", I believe Mike Sigler also added a 1/2 step lower on string 3. The normal E lower approximates the most commonly used C6 pedal 6. Do a forum search and you'll find several other threads discussing it from years past.

Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2022 10:24 am    

Thank you Ian. I'll look into that. It seems to make sense to me for what I'm playing mostly

Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2022 11:09 am     0 Pedal for C6

So I apparently stumbled onto the "Sigler" pedal Copedent by accident in my quest to bring an "in line C6" to my E9 neck. Not having used the Franklin pedal for much in my playing, I started figuring out how to do a one pedal pull to make a Lap steel so I don't have to haul a double neck or an actual lap.

I worked up this and it's working great for my Patsy Cline Walking after Midnight:

0 pedal:

4 E
5 +1/2 to C
6 +1/2 to A
7 +1/2 to G
8 E
9 -1 to C

Someone mentioned that Sigler also added a 1/2 raise to string 3 but I would think that would be a 1/2 step lower to G (rather than an A on top) Thoughts??
...I Should have thought of that before I ordered up another pull assembly from Mullen, I could have ordered another (shipping will kill you now). It's like going to the hardware store for plumbing every time I call Mullen for parts. I swear I have all I need until the day after they ship. Oh well, I need a 1/2 stop on my RKR anyway...

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2022 2:06 pm    

Somebody posted recently about an old fender, I believe, that had this set up on the E neck:

Tab:

A        B

1  F#
2  D#
3  G#                A
4  E       
5  B        C#
6  G#                A
7  F#
8  E
9  D        C#
10 B                 A

Gives you A6 in-line all the way up. This would free up your zero pedal for something else entirely. FWIW

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2022 2:27 pm    

This looks interesting! I checked, however, and I've got no spare raise holes on the 5th string.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2022 5:17 am     Re: 0 pedal

Bryce Van Parys wrote:
I find the change as set up interesting, but not too useful for what I'm playing in general. What other uses could I find for this extra pedal? Or what am I missing?

Maybe lower 5&10? At any rate, I wouldn't worry about it right now. Hone your playing skills, concentrating right now on playing with smoothness and flow. That will add "polish" to your sound. Later on down the road, you may be in a better position to choose an alternate for that pedal that suits what you play.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2022 9:25 am     Re: 0 Pedal for C6

Bryce Van Parys wrote:
...Someone mentioned that Sigler also added a 1/2 raise to string 3 but I would think that would be a 1/2 step lower to G (rather than an A on top)...

Mike's pedal lowers 3 a half. Traditional C6. There's an old discussion here: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=242592