The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Last "live performance"
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2022 9:49 am    

Its been many years since i have played my steel in front of anyone other than myself, my lovely bride, my grandkids, or my cats.. My wife and i were asked to perform at a little church get together in the church parking lot... We sang 2 songs just us and the acoustic guitar, and I did a very simple arrangement of Amazing Grace for our 3rd "number".. It came out awful, and I think the video and sound was recorded on a cell phone on a stand, or perhaps some kind of cheap small fixed camera.. In any case, the tone was muddy and boxy at the same time. I promise the old Marlen P/R I used sounds MUCH sweeter than what you are hearing here... I didn't like it when I heard it, and was not going to even post it, but I'm not proud, and clams while playing is part of who I am, and I embrace them.. I DID kind of like the little descending flourish I ended with, so its not a total loss..I figured at my age, I can't be too picky, and might not get a chance to share a "performance" ever again... Steel solo starts at around 34.00....... bob
www.facebook.com/candormethodists/videos333189/6290374405

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Last edited by Bob Carlucci on 31 Jul 2022 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2022 11:41 am    

Good job Bob! No apologies necessary! I don't think anyone is ever happy with their tone playing outdoors. Also, your 6 string chops are good and you and your wife sing very well together!

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2022 2:57 pm    

Kenny Davis wrote:
Good job Bob! No apologies necessary! I don't think anyone is ever happy with their tone playing outdoors. Also, your 6 string chops are good and you and your wife sing very well together!

The guitar chops are ok, I just don't use them much anymore.. Same with singing... We are pushing 70 both of us, and those harmonies get a little more elusive each week... Actually not even sure its the voices so much as the ears. Can't hear the nuance... anyway,thanks for the kind words..

Michael Weaver

Buffalo Grove, IL
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2022 6:48 pm    

Tried to open the link, and the following appeared:

This Page Isn't Available
The link may be broken, or the page may have been removed. Check to see if the link you're trying to open is correct.
Go Back
Visit Help Center

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2022 7:31 pm    

It's on his Church Facebook site. You may not be able to access without a Facebook account.

Go to this link:
https://www.facebook.com/candormethodists/videos/?ref=page_internal

Look for the McKendree Church Video, it will be an outside tailer bandstand.

Gil James

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2022 8:15 pm    

Thanks for directions, Kenny.
Great performance Bob, You blessed many folks that day! Including me today. I see you have a vertical array PA behind you on the ground. Were you playing your guitar through it? Were you also using it for you and your wife's mikes? I'm curious to know your thoughts about it. I am about to do a few outdoor cowboy church services in a rodeo arena with no electricity. I bought a battery powered Gemini which looks similar to what you have there. Was wondering if I would need 2. I would just have 1 mike and 1 guitar. Thanks for any input you might have. And thanks for taking the time to post your worship songs. Ps..... Wayfaring Stranger is a personal favorite of mine.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2022 11:43 am    

Gil.. No that PA was a little portable unit they use for outdoor parking lot "events".. I wasn't even miked or run direct for the guitar or the steel.. Thats really the reason for the lo fi muddy sound.. Just whatever the mic in the camera picked up.. They have a pretty good system in the church, and usually the recorded sound is much better in there .. If I ever play my steel inside I'll post it... I used a little Roland 80 XL, and although I used to like it, these days it sounds boxy to me.. Anyway, thanks for the kind words.. Like I said it wasn't much but the folks there liked it, and I am sure the sound was better than what was picked up by the camera. [I HOPE].. Not many folks in NY state ever get to hear a pedal steel, and although I was appalled when I heard the playback, the folks in attendance appreciated it, and I got a lot of nice compliments.. I guess thats all that matters... bob

Gil James

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2022 12:54 pm    

Well,the steel sounded good to me,everything sounds different outdoors. I bet it sounded great live in person. Nice arrangement of Amazing Grace you have there.