The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Value of a Standel Amp?
Duane Dunard

Troy, MO. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2022 10:06 am    

My friend has a nice Standel 15" Custom amp that he is interested in selling, so I'm gathering opinions of it's current value. He is the original owner and it's the original speaker to the best of my knowledge.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2022 2:04 pm    

following...

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2022 4:11 pm    

The early tube models can run up into the thousands, but the later (solid-state) models, not so much. This one looks quite clean, and provided it works, might bring $600-$700.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2022 11:36 am    

I agree with Donny on 6 or 700. But if you buy it, you might find that it's worth a lot more to you than the 700 bucks. Probably a great amp.

The most desirable and best sounding Custom 15's are the first run of all solid state amps they did, from '64 to '66 - like the one Pete Drake had and played on all those hits. This is the same model, just a later version.

I'm almost certain this one doesn't have any potted preamp modules, but don't be scared off by the ones that do. There are schematics out there for them, and a willing tech can re-create those circuits fairly easily.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2022 5:16 pm    

I've had several Standels from this era, and liked them all. Still have a couple. All of the Standels I've had have had a bit of hum to them--nothing terrible, just some low level power supply hum. But they sound great.

The reverb controls are a bit different from what you'd find in Fender style amps--takes a bit of getting used to. The signal is split into two different paths, one going through the reverb circuit and the other clean. Reverb volume and clean volume are two different controls. Works well but as I said, not like a Fender circuit. Great amps though.

Dave