The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Telonics vs. Quilter TT
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2022 3:14 am    

I've heard positive reviews of both these lines of amplifiers, but are they comparable? Are they considered to be in the same market?

I'm tempted by the TT12 because a well-qualified pal (and good player) found the sound irresistible and added one to his stable.

Telonics have found a niche and are also well-regarded.

Can anyone shed light here (even if assessing amplification is, to say the least, subjective?)

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2022 5:12 am    

You know my choice.

I only heard one Telonics and the sound from that one (with a Zum steel) was "so so".

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2022 6:49 pm    

Roger, I can't speak on the TT but I do have a Telonics tca 500 equipped with a 15 that's excellent. Took me a while to find the sweet spot but once there it's great. Now I also have a Quilter micropro mach ii and a 101 mini. They both are excellent but not up to the Telonics in tone. However at a recent steel show I got to hear both the TT and Telonics from an audience perspective and they delivered a wonderful sound. Sorry for the confusing reply.

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2022 5:32 am    

Hello Roger,
I have a TT-12 and a Telonics 12 they are in separate and same cabinets. I use a Quilter 202 Tone Block as the amp. The difference in the two speakers is minimal, however, the Telonics has more highs and is brighter. I prefer the TT-12 as it seems to be warmer overall and very clean. I sometimes run them together just for funzies. I love the weight, 7 lbs I think. Cabinet and all weighs 22 lbs.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2022 6:11 am    

Roy

Warmer would be my preference (although even that is a subjective term).

I know Telonics make excellent equipment but I'm a bit daunted, not only by the price but by the complexity of the control panel.

First, I'm nuts!! I have a new 12-string Williams on order with a totally new tuning which, while it nods towards my current 8+9 D10 setup, will be a huge departure for me.

Now, I'm discussing amps! I doubt I will play out again due to medical constraints, and yet I wish I had an amp that moves more air and with more tone than my Roland XL80.

I'm pretty sure our neighbors think the Roland is quite loud enough but I still want a better Amp, even if it's for my ears only.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2022 8:37 am    

Another plus with the Quilter, the TB202 amp is a great lead guitar amp (what it was primarily designed for). Would work great with your Telecaster. Set the Mode switch on "VINT" and you are in Fender BF territory (good for some steel too).

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2022 9:37 am    

Yes, Jack, and it was with Telecasters in mind that I thought '12" speaker'.

Too many good players have voiced their unstinted approval of the TT12 for me to ignore it. The latest is Russ Wever who visited me last week.

I should have bought yours! Smile

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2022 2:07 pm    

Another comment, the guy that bought my TT12 was a 15" speaker guy and also had a TT15. Within days of getting the TT12 he sold the TT15.
I should have never sold the TT12. Working on a potential used TB202 amp now.

Side note, its been a while since I've been back to Kansas City (I used to live there). Went to a KC steel jam with Russ and Bruce Zumsteg and several other KC steelers next to last trip back.