The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Original Electar Century?
Tim Tweedale

Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2022 9:23 pm    

I have a friend who’s getting ready to part with his Electar Century. I know that Epiphone recently reissued this make and model, but I think that this one looks like an original, especially based on some of the hardware on the back of the headstock. Take a look, and see what you think? It’s a good sounding steel. The pickup likely needs some attention. If you have a suggestion for a fair ballpark price, could you PM me - or post here if it’s okay by forum rules (it’s been a while since I’ve been on). Thanks! Smile

Tim

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2022 5:29 am    

It dates from 1941. Aside from the missing knob and name plate, it looks like someone installed and removed a pickguard. Add all the finish wear and you have a player's grade specimen. I'd put the value around $400, though the pandemic price bump seems to be fading so that may be a little optimistic. It certainly assumes that any wiring issues will be fixed before selling.

Most intermittent wiring issues aren't with the pickup itself but with a pot, jack, or solder joint.

John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2022 5:34 am    

Definitely an original. The serial number suggests 1942. It looks pretty rough, missing the headstock plate and pickguard. If the pickup needs to be rebuilt, it's probably not worth a whole lot. Still, a cool old guitar. I have the 8 string version, and I love it.

G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2022 11:50 am    

I have an original. Not sure of the serial number. I'll post some pics when I get back home.
Gary
Melbert 8, Remington S8, Silk 6 string, Rick B6, Tremblay 6 lap steel, Marlen S-10 4&4, Prestige Guild M75 and Artist Award, Benedetto Bravo, Epiphone Century Electar (the real one) and a bunch of old lap steels.... mostly Ricks and Magnatones'

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2022 1:09 pm    

Noah Miller wrote:
It dates from 1941. Aside from the missing knob and name plate, it looks like someone installed and removed a pickguard. Add all the finish wear and you have a player's grade specimen. I'd put the value around $400, though the pandemic price bump seems to be fading so that may be a little optimistic. It certainly assumes that any wiring issues will be fixed before selling.

Most intermittent wiring issues aren't with the pickup itself but with a pot, jack, or solder joint.

I think $300-400 is about right. This model is the lower end of Epiphone’s offerings.