The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zum endplates
Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2022 9:01 pm    

I read that some Zums had cast endplates and some had machined endplates and that the ones with the cast endplates sounded better. Could someone describe the difference in tone between the two and maybe show a photo of each? Thank you.

Mitch

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2022 2:05 pm    

A smile is worth a thousand words brought too you buy the era of steel guitars with casted parts. Sorry this is just a fact maybe!

I see the smiles an here the difference in tone happen from one steel too another several times a month at my steel shop here in Nashville.

Not only end plates were casted parts for steels.
Changer housing
Changer brackets
Key heads
Neck.
It's the sum of all the casted parts an types of woods used too make a steel with good tone .

MAYBE MAYBE NOT I AGREE!!

Last edited by Johnie King on 1 Aug 2022 7:44 pm; edited 10 times in total

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2022 2:59 pm    

Arrow

Last edited by Ricky Davis on 29 Jul 2022 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2022 5:04 pm    

If you do a little research on a company called Akron Brass you will find that they make a lot of products for the Fire Service. One of the thing they make are Bells used on Fire Trucks these bells are cast from molton brass I had the chance to ask a Rep. from Akron Brass why cast and not CNC cut from Billet? After a look that made me feel like Oh that was a dumb question the gentleman simply said "Cast Brass sounds like a Bell Billet sounds like a truck wheel hit by a pice of fire wood".
I know that end plates are aluminum not brass but both are Non Ferris metals and share some traits. I know for sure if you suspend a cast end plate and a billet end plat and tap them with a drum stick there is a big diffrence in tone.
Just my 2 cents.

Barry

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2022 6:12 pm    

Thank ya'll for the replies. I have a D10 Zum that I bought new in 2004. Over the years, many steel players have walked up to the stage to get my amp settings and told me that my Zum sounded really good. On two different occasions, two "high profile" steel players did the same thing. One steel player offered to trade me his D10 Emmons Lagrande on the spot. haha! I'm not all that great of a steel player so it must be the sound of the steel itself. It does have cast endplates, but I've never played a Zum with machined endplates and was wondering what the difference in tone was. Thanks again for your thoughts on the subject, and if anyone else has any thoughts, I'd sure like to hear them.

Mitch

Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2022 7:13 pm    

Mitch,
The material definitely makes a difference in tone, the example of the brass bell is a good one and has similar results in aluminum. I can't speak for other guitars, but we did AB testing with the Resound65 and the difference between the two was more than obvious. The billet introduced a warbly tone and the clarity and note separation was all but gone.

It's worth noting that even castings are machined, just they require much less profiling than a block of billet aluminum lol

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2022 8:09 pm    

Glad you recognize that Kelsey. Resonance is everything.

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2022 8:09 pm    

A dumb question I'm sure, but what is Billet aluminum and how is it different than other aluminum?
Mitch

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2022 8:55 pm    

Interesting discussion and not a dumb question at all Mitch.

Billet simply means a piece (bar, rod, puck, cube, chunk, etc.) of solid material. Metal billet can be forged, extruded or cast....yes cast, you know like a bell.

The word billet has nothing to do with the way a given raw material was produced, nor does it have anything to do with what a material is. Virtually all solid materials (and some liquids....WHAT?)can be "billet" including plastics and wood.

Paul Awalt

Greenwich, Ct.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2022 8:02 am    

So I would assume that the Emmon's SD10 that used a D10 endplate do not sound as good as the Emmon's that used a SD10 only one cutout endplate.

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2022 8:26 am    

Hey Ross!
Thank you for that clear explanation. I've held billet in my hand countless times and never knew it! Laughing Bar, rod, and chunk are terms that I'm familiar with. Smile And Paul, that's a good question. According to what I've read about endplates, I guess that it would have an effect on the tone, even if only a small one.

Mitch

Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2022 12:27 pm    

Ross is of course correct, as casting a billet was actually a part of our testing process, my crude machinist vernacular is hard to forget lol.

For the sake of this discussion, the cast endplates opposite number would be made from extruded aluminum, most likely 6061. Apart from differences in the alloy itself, what primarily affects the resonance of the material is how it is produced. Castings are made by melting the metal into liquid form and then(in this case anyway) poured into a sand mold which then cools the metal quickly into a solid; this yields a very diffuse and "open" molecular structure that tends to produces sympathetic resonance, basically amplifying and reproducing whatever frequency is introduced to it.

Extrusions are made by heating the metal(but not melting it) and forcing it through an extrusion die to produce the shape. This process compresses the molecules together, and often in a directional manner depending on the shape; this cause something of a "grain" structure in the metal. So, with a tighter and possibly uneven molecular structure, the metal will tend to favor certain frequencies(usually high ones)over others. Also, there is a tendency to produce synthetic resonance, or to produce a tone other than that which is acting on it, which usually is manifested as a high pitched overtone.

Please take this on the basis of I'm not an expert lol, but that is how the experts explained it to me as I understand it.

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2022 6:04 pm    

Thank you, Kelcey.
I always thought that a machined endplate was cut with a "bit". I didn't know that it was melted and forced through an extrusion die. In that case, how can you tell the difference between the two endplates (cast or machined) if there are no tooling marks?

Mitch

Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2022 6:23 pm    

Mitch,

The shape of the endplate itself would not be made by an extrusion die, just the block of metal from which it was machined. Even cast parts have some machining done to them, although they are usually cast in the general shape of the part. A casting will have a kind of sandy texture on unmachined surfaces.

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2022 6:34 pm    

That's what I was thinking. Thank you, Kelcey.

Mitch

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2022 7:38 am    

I just sent a pair of '66 Emmons end plates to Ross to be repaired as someone had drilled holes in them. Ross called me and said listen to this as he plinked on each one comparing it w a billet endplate that he had. The billet one was far more musical. I suspect the tone has more to do w the mass and/or configuration than "billet" vs "simply cast"(I do understand the difference). One thing that has always made me wonder was that as soon as you bolt the end plate to the cabinet all the "bell-like tone" is history.

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2022 11:48 am    

👀

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2022 4:54 pm    

Jim Palenscar wrote:
I just sent a pair of '66 Emmons end plates to Ross to be repaired as someone had drilled holes in them. Ross called me and said listen to this as he plinked on each one comparing it w a billet endplate that he had. The billet one was far more musical. I suspect the tone has more to do w the mass and/or configuration than "billet" vs "simply cast"(I do understand the difference). One thing that has always made me wonder was that as soon as you bolt the end plate to the cabinet all the "bell-like tone" is history.

I think this is the file. https://b0b.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/endplates.mp3

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2022 5:13 pm    

Yup

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2022 6:15 am    

Now securely screw a good sized piece of 5/8 inch thick hard maple to each of them and repeat the test.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2022 7:12 am    

Last edited by Johnie King on 31 Jul 2022 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2022 8:03 am    

Judge for yourself guys. Ross made these recordings and asked me to post.

emd10TEP= Emmons Double 10 Tuner Endplate
emd10CEP= Emmons Double 10 Changer Endplate

That should help you determine what you're listening too.

sierraS10CEP
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14xNj97GirBsN6mM6_pldZTT2eyLTn7fC/view?usp=sharing

sierraS10TEP
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hcZ9bNup7kUsEs83PJq4gfXm-eG4lzO-/view?usp=sharing

sierraS12CEP
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sy32NzutBWPEVT4pn3gdfSZwfvPTUHmg/view?usp=sharing

sierraS12TEP
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fnRWkBw_vmqp00sWF1mICyI8aw_2wU_T/view?usp=sharing

emd10TEP
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M7YFoMjRWG0xKeXaJ6ekSPom7TqD0LNt/view?usp=sharing

emd10CEP
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BvcN2UEh5oj2FzfsxQK537olYNr9K3vo/view?usp=sharing

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2022 8:31 am    

Since we're now discussing other guitars besides the original Zum entry, consider the Mullen guitars that have chrome plated steel end plates.

These guitars are both as resonant and toneful as any other.
I doubt that aluminum end plates of either construction would be more beneficial.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2022 11:40 am    

Maybe the casted key head ,casted neck an casted end plates together should be considered in your equation.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2022 12:18 pm    

Thanks for posting those Michael, I thought I'd get top it today sometime, but you beat me.

Doug: you read my mind

Jerry: I agree

Johnie: If I understand your statement correctly, I agree. i believe that everything affected by the string's energy has some tonal impact even if miniscule.

I personally would love to be using cast endplates, but it has nothing to do with tone.