The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I'll Be There Dickey Overby
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2022 6:46 pm    

Instrumental Dickey Overby playing "Ill Be There". I have two questions about Dickey's playing on this song. A person could play the melody of the song with single notes, but it sounds to me like Dickey is not playing the melody with single notes. Sounds to me like most of the melody notes have harmony notes. Meaning each melody note has 3 strings played. I suppose there could only be two notes at times, but most of the time it sounds like three notes to me. The song is in the key of C. I am wondering what notes Dickey is using as harmony with the quick melody notes E,D,E.D--C.G To play this I am using my Emmons E9h set-up 2nd and 3rd pedals together, pumping them up and down at the 10 fret--then to the C and G back at the 8th fret. Is that what Dickey is doing, or something else?
My next questions concerns the part where Dickey starts his long single note ride up the neck, all the way up to fret 15, then back down. I can play what Dickey played---not as good---but I can play it. I never try to play that part with a live band. The reason is it gets away from the melody of the song and if the band has not practiced the song they simply don't know what to do. It always falls to pieces so I never try it. Is there any way, except practice, that I can play this long run up the neck and down without the band getting lost. I know, it is simple, only chords C, G, C, but it loses all the bands that don't know the song. Any suggestions?

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2022 8:34 pm    

What I posted is wrong, I figured it out. There is a lot going on in this song. Dicky was a master at the pedal steel.

George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2022 1:51 pm    

Well, post what you decided was correct if you would. Haven't listened to this song in a long time.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2022 3:52 pm    

Keith, do you have a link to this song? I don't remember hearing it. Was this an instrumental or backing a singer? Thanks
Never mind I found it on YouTube. Cool run from Dicky.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2022 8:25 pm    

Here's Dicky's instrumental of that song; off his album.
https://youtu.be/Srmqmzu-VzA
He also did the turnaround on the old Johnny Bush album; that when Buddy Emmons heard this solo for the first time on the radio; while he was driving...he said he had to Pull over as his heart jumped.
https://youtu.be/91VnidPtugg

Ricky