The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tompall and the Glaser Bros
Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2022 2:39 pm    

For my money, they eye the best three part harmony in any form of music. Why they are not inducted in the Country Music Hall of Fame is a travesty. Did they piss off some people?

Randall Palmore

Albany,TX USA 76430
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2022 6:32 pm     Glaser Bros

Gary- You are on the money regarding the Glaser Bros harmony. They were fantastic! No sure why not in the HOF? They also had some cool songs..one of my favorite shuffle tunes that we play down here in Texas is: The Same Old Memories.. I think Tompall wrote it? I really liked their music!

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2022 5:19 am    

They were the opening act for Marty Robbins and largely responsible for his sound: (From https://www.facebook.com/391272701046801/posts/after-marty-robbins-brought-tompall-chuck-and-jim-to-nashville-whether-intention/1340652156108846/)

After Marty Robbins brought Tompall, Chuck and Jim to Nashville, whether intentional or not, Marty released an album in September of 1959 with a changed sound. Jim’s tenor voice, Bobby Sykes’ baritone and Marty's lead vocal created a trio which sounded suspiciously like The Glaser Brothers. The album ‘Gunfighter Ballads and Trailsongs’ reached RIAA platinum sales status and the number 6 spot on the Billboard US Pop Album charts propelling Marty to new heights.
Marty’s previous two albums released in 1957 and 1958 were recorded before The Glaser Brothers spent significant ‘car’ time with Marty. The Glaser Brothers were the opening act while on tour with Marty, therefore, Marty heard their sound. Jim spoke many times on how he rode in the car with Marty while on tour singing harmony on ‘El Paso’ while Marty wrote the lyrics. Attached to this post you’ll find a sampling of three hit singles from those earlier albums; ‘Please Don’t Blame Me’, ‘She was Seventeen’, and ‘Ain’t I the Lucky One’. The music and vocal arrangements were different on these albums. The accompanying vocals to Marty’s lead vocals were ‘do wop’ background vocals and the music was in the pop style of the 1950s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2022 12:43 pm    

Was there some jealousy involved because Tompall seemed to be the lead vocalist and the spokesman most of the time, maybe inadvertently outshining the other two ?