The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Old Bell and Howell cabinet with TT-12 Speaker
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2022 9:53 am    

I've been having some fun with this lately. It's a 1950 Bell and Howell projector speaker cabinet with a Travis Toy 12" speaker, powered by a Quilter 202 tone block head. I've been using it in combination with my TT-15 block dock... the 202 powering both cabinets. I haven't played a gig with just the B&H cab yet, but I think it could handle it. It definitely rates very high for coolness and looks on stage.

-----> Here's a demo I made today on my iPhone: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgKT4VGLMtm/

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2022 10:16 am    

Very neat. And nice.
You are just using it as a cabinet but I've always dug what many years ago was a guitar-nerd secret but is now pretty common knowledge that old B&H rigs made made great low powered amps. I always sort of wanted one. Never had the chops to do the conversion myself.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2022 10:36 am    

Yeah, this was cabinet only, no speaker. I imagine that ones with original speaker would sound great for recording guitar.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2022 10:45 am    

Mighty cool rig. Love that retro stuff.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2022 11:19 am    

The milk crate ups the coolness factor a few notches, too!
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2022 11:32 am    

Smile That milk crate has been with me since the 1970s!

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2022 1:32 pm    

I had the same cabinet--it came with a Bell and Howell branded Jensen which wasn't a bad speaker. Very cool though.

Dave

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2022 1:58 pm    

I picked up at least 7-8 similar Bell & Howell cabinets at a salvage warehouse about 10-15 years ago. These had B&H labeled speakers of various makes, and they gave me the whole shooting match for, I think, $15. He had a huge stack of them, a school A/V department was cleaning house big-time. I kept a couple of the Jensen speakers, but gave most of this stuff to friends, and still see one pop up onstage occasionally. They are cool. The ones I had were grey or blue, and the closed back was held on by latches similar to those on a guitar case.

I used one myself for a while, but I have way too much stuff and eventually just gave it away. With those Jensens, they were great for slide guitar, lap steel, or harp.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2022 2:52 pm    

This too was rescued from the trash. No speaker though, just the cabinet. It also has the suitcase style latches on the back. This one is basically a TT-12 (same speaker and head) in a weird old cabinet! By the way, there is a little shelf inside and the 202 head fits on that shelf, but for now I'm gonna keep the head outside of the cabinet. The cab w/speaker weighs exactly 20 lbs.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2022 3:03 pm    

Just a clarification of my post -- the actual audio portion of the movie projectors was a tube amp. Guitarists were converting that to guitar amps.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2022 3:59 pm    

Yes, understood. I'm getting some interesting comments about the audio. Some people are amazed that an "old amp" could sound so good! LOL They don't seem to understand that the components are all modern and the only thing old is the wood cabinet.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2022 7:27 pm    

not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but I have tried those old cabs from Bell and Howell projectors and they always sounded really weird and boxy with no projection and no resonance...I don't think they were really designed to reproduce the sound and volume of a serious musical instrument amp.. I never had much trouble selling stuff like that however and still grab them up when I find one cheap... Perhaps I just got bad ones, but although I loved the cool retro vibe and wanted them to work, I could not get past the poor sound reproduction ... Maybe other guys have had better luck.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......