The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nathan Fleming on Austin city Limits
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2022 8:05 pm    

Just finished watching Nathan Fleming with Charley Crockett on ACL. He was up in the mix and I could hear every lick. What a tour-de-force on tasteful playing on his beautiful Emmons. Great C6 and E9 stuff. He never ran short of appropriate backup. I am a fan. Worth catching again. It will probably repeat tomorrow and early week. First half of the show was Brandi Clark. Good too.

Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2022 8:31 am    

Because I love to hear Nathan play, I found this episode online, in case others want to listen to it and don't have access via cable/TV.

https://www.pbs.org/video/brandy-clark-charley-crockett-oruxmv/

Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2022 6:01 pm    

Saw it last night and had to watch again. Steel so smooth and tasteful. I have a dumb question though. Can you tell if he has a "standard" E9 setup? It sounds (to me) like he has some low notes that are below B when playing the E9 neck. Perhaps grabbing them from the back neck, or is it just that great fat Emmons tone?

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2022 6:58 pm    

Yes Warm Emmons tone. Nathan plays standard Emmons set up; ever since 1998 when he took his first lesson with me. Hasn't changed anything; except became beyond belief with Technique and Great musical awareness. Also plays a Sho~bud very early Perm that Harry Jackson just finished up and is beyond awesome looking and playing and sounding pedal Steel...you all will be hearing more from.
Ricky

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2022 5:24 am    

I saw that show again a few days ago. I sure like to hear Nathan play!! He seems to have a little different take on things, very tasteful and well played. Keep up the good work Nathan!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2022 5:57 am    

What a fine player he is! Imaginative, and a terrific right-hand!

Crocket is an interesting artist, too.

Thanks for posting that link, Andy!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2022 6:02 am    

Bob:

In the clip Andy posted, I don't think I heard any E9 stuff lower-pitched than standard. Were you speaking of a different performance?

Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2022 3:13 pm    

Hi Roger, No I am referring to the ACL performance in posted link. He's doing a low note "bend" on the last chord of the last two songs that caught my attention. I haven't spent any time to see what key they're playing the song(s) in, so I guess this might just be A pedaling the low B, or could this possibly be the Franklin pedal or some other lower? I don't have that or even know what it is yet.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2022 3:18 pm    

Thanks, Bob - I'll listen again.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2022 5:47 pm    

When he lived in Philadelphia, I remember him coming to me for lessons. At the first lesson I quickly realized that there wasn't anything I could teach this guy and he just needed to get himself a regular gig to put it all together and smooth it out. Well! Next time I hear of the dude, he had moved to Texas and turned up playing steel for Johnny Bush! Um... yeah, Nathan, that sort of gig; yeah, that's what I meant... LOL! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Great player!

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2022 6:01 am    

Great playing. Props to Kullen Fox too. What a multi player...

Bill

Tharon Caraway

Lubbock,Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2022 7:54 pm     Nathan Fleming

Great player! He played for years with Jesse Dayton at the Broken Spoke on Thursday’s in Austin. Definitely has his own style!

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2022 7:56 pm    

I like it.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2022 9:20 am    

Nathan is great! I did a weekend run a while back with singer/songwriter Gus Clark, opening some shows for Charlie Crockett. I'd known Nathan for a while, but hadn't really been around him too much. During that weekend we had a lot of down time to talk steel guitars and such. It was a lot of fun, and on top of being a great player, he's really a cool guy to hang with. I took this photo at one of the shows. We laughed that there probably wasn't another club in the USA on that particular night that had two vintage Emmons P/P guitars on stage at the same time. That's Nathan's wrap in front of my bolt-on.. Good times!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2023 11:03 pm     revisit of the ACL thread

I just saw the last part of this ACL re airing. What a great sound on that green Emmons. Just beautiful rich sweet tone and terrific execution. That's the tone I'd love to find. I'm envious.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2023 6:23 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
When he lived in Philadelphia, I remember him coming to me for lessons. At the first lesson I quickly realized that there wasn't anything I could teach this guy and he just needed to get himself a regular gig to put it all together and smooth it out. Well! Next time I hear of the dude, he had moved to Texas and turned up playing steel for Johnny Bush! Um... yeah, Nathan, that sort of gig; yeah, that's what I meant... LOL! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Great player!

Jim, I can relate.. happened to me as well. Guy comes in to "learn", and you find yourself trying to steal licks from him.. Yeah, having heard Nathan play, I can kind of understand the dilemma... "yeah ok, guy wants lessons, but i don't have anything to show him"....

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......