The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I think my pc is shot
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2022 8:14 pm    

I guess the pc has had it. Sometimes takes forever just to boot and after 10, 15 mins. it just locks up.

It's a fairly recent asus laptop about 8 yrs. old running win 10.

I get the spinning blue donut and nothing responds.

I have to manually shut the thing down and start over.

I also hear a grinding noise when it's taking a long time to boot. Not the normal hard drive whirring.

Took 3 tries just to post this message. I don't know if it'll start again.

Guess I'll see ya'll when I get a new machine or maybe I'll just give up on 'puters and stay offline, hell, I don't know.
Just thought I'd post this here in case anyone's wondering why I'm not on.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 30 Jul 2022 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2022 2:22 am    

Average lifespan of a laptop is 3 to 4 years. Consider whether you want to invest in restoring a dinosaur.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2022 9:49 am    

My 10 yr old Asus did that. The hard drive had worn out. I had a new SSDD fitted for way less than the cost of a new machine, so it's worth considering.

If you do that, have a new screen cable at the same time, cos that'll be next!

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2022 7:51 am    

Something to consider. Windows 10 support stops July of next year. No more secuity patches or software updates. Windows 11 will will not run on machines more than about 5 years old. Win 11 takes advantage of advancements in hyardware and software that older computers simply cannot.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2022 8:08 am    

Yeah, it had other issues as well. I just wrote it off and picked up another notebook. Prices are reasonable plus the new ones are all updated and have new features. I guess it's something I can expect to do every few years.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2022 8:23 am    

Jim Kennedy wrote:
Something to consider. Windows 10 support stops July of next year. No more secuity patches or software updates. Windows 11 will will not run on machines more than about 5 years old. Win 11 takes advantage of advancements in hyardware and software that older computers simply cannot.

Not just old hardware. Windows 11 won't install on my self built AMD powered PC that was brand new in November of 2018. According to Microsoft, the particular AMD processor I have is not approved to run Windows 11. Additionally, I don't have and don't need the security module it checks for. I was prepared to buy a module for my motherboard until I discovered that the AMD 2400G cpu is not supported.

So, if you using a perfectly fine working Windows 10 PC that happens to have a CPU that is not approved for Windows 11 and want to upgrade and keep using it, you will have to buy a different processor and hope the motherboard supports it. This major hardware change will probably invalidate your current Windows license. You will have to contact Microsoft support and explain why you changed the hardware and ask them to apply a new license to the new setup. If they refuse you will need to pay for Windows 11.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog