The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changer Rod clips
winston

Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2022 11:12 am    

Where can I find the clips that hold the changer rod to the bellcrank? The 80's ShoBuds had them. They clipped onto the changer rod and had a hole for the end to fit through.
thanks

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2022 4:04 pm    

Those original Sho-Bud carburetor-style clips are like hen's teeth. Michael Yahl sells a different style that does the same thing: https://www.psgparts.com/Clip-Spring-Retaining-Pull-Rod-20-005.htm

winston

Post  Posted 16 Jul 2022 6:14 am    

Thanks Ian, I have been looking everywhere for them and cannot find them. winston

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2022 7:17 pm    

Winston,
I hope I remember this correctly, but I think David Jackson had 5000 of them made and the guy refused to make more because it was a real pain in the @zz. You could probably search for posts by me asking about them(like you) in Pedal Steel or Want to Buy section and see who responded with that info. I wish we could find someone to make them.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2022 5:57 am    

Ian Worley wrote:
Those original Sho-Bud carburetor-style clips are like hen's teeth. Michael Yahl sells a different style that does the same thing: https://www.psgparts.com/Clip-Spring-Retaining-Pull-Rod-20-005.htm

I used carburetor linkage clips from an auto parts store when I rebuilt a Sho~Bud Super Pro. I just took some good side cutter and cut off the second the second part with a hole, and a dremel tool works too. Available at pretty much any auto parts store.

winston

Post  Posted 17 Jul 2022 7:44 am    

Thanks guys for all the help. Richard, I thought of that last night also. Marty, I will check your posts. thanks again for your help. Winston May

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2022 10:04 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
...I used carburetor linkage clips from an auto parts store when I rebuilt a Sho~Bud Super Pro. I just took some good side cutter and cut off the second the second part with a hole, and a dremel tool works too. Available at pretty much any auto parts store...

I have searched at length for off the shelf carburetor-style clips like this that are actually the correct size and will work on the Sho-Bud rods, purchased many samples from various sources, they were all too big or odd in some way. Michael Yahl said he did the same thing. If you have a source for clips that are actually the correct size for the 7/64" rods please post a link or other info to acquire them. I'm sure many here would be interested.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2022 6:22 pm    

I got mine at Midway Auto Parts in Hayward Ca. This was like 35 years ago. The clips can be bent to tighten things up. The hole is too big, but with a little bend to hold it tighter against the bellcrank it worked good.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2022 8:16 pm    

Here you go
https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-41017-HELP-Linkage-Assortment/dp/B002ES5CQ8

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2022 2:48 am    

I’ve used these push nuts on my Super Pro with good results.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2022 7:34 am    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Here you go
https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-41017-HELP-Linkage-Assortment/dp/B002ES5CQ8

Nope. Been there, done that.

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2022 3:51 pm    

I have these:

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2022 6:21 am    

Winston, I sent you a PM
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

winston

Post  Posted 21 Jul 2022 1:54 pm    

Got it Bill, thanks a lot. winston