The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paper Files to Flash Drive
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2022 3:39 pm    

I've got tons of lessons,tabs,probably ALL of Jeff Newman's stuff that I would like to put on memory card or flash drive. How difficult would that be for a very technically challenged old fart like me?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2022 3:59 am    

You'll have to scan them into your computer and copy them to whatever media you want. If your printer is one that prints, copies, and scans, you just need to find out how to use it as a scanner. I've done this a a few different printers, and it's pretty easy. Just remember when you are asked where to save the file, that you rename it to something more descriptive than the useless file names the printer/computer wants to name it.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2022 6:03 am    

To add to Richard's post, you need to save the scans to some "readable" files. IF your scanner saves scans as "PDF" that's the best option. If not "DOC" (MS Word) is another option.

It will be a long manual task but worth it.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 15 Jul 2022 7:33 am    

Good point Jack. All of the printers I have had that scanned, automatically defaulted to jpg files. But it is still best to make sure.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2022 12:05 pm    

jpg is a picture file. Not a good option unless no other choice.

I have a HP All-in-one and it will save as readable document files, .pdf or .doc (and jpg picture).

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 15 Jul 2022 1:24 pm    

I have an HP All in one printer too. When I scan Multiple sheet documents, which I assume Sonny has, I do save them as PDF files.

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2022 4:32 pm    

If you have a large pile of papers and don't have the time to scan each page individually you may want to investigate how much a Staples, Office Depot, UPS Store or some other "office" store charges. I've used them when time is a constraint or when the paperwork is overwhelming.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 16 Jul 2022 1:32 pm    

Well I have an HP all in one,,,the only choices it gives are .jpg, bmp(?), tif. Most everything I've scanned and saved have been jpg? Seems to work OK.

My printer is HP ENVY Photo 7155 (not worth a popcorn fart as a printer,,LOL!!!) How do I get the option for PDF. Can a file type be changed after it is scanned?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2022 7:55 pm    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Well I have an HP all in one,,,the only choices it gives are .jpg, bmp(?), tif. Most everything I've scanned and saved have been jpg? Seems to work OK.

My printer is HP ENVY Photo 7155 (not worth a popcorn fart as a printer,,LOL!!!) How do I get the option for PDF. Can a file type be changed after it is scanned?

I think the information you need is on this page.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2022 8:41 pm    

The main advantage to PDF is that you can put multiple pages in a single file. JPG doesn't support that, as far as I know. PNG and TIFF both support multiple images in a single file, but that might not be an option in your scanner program. That's why everyone is saying that PDF would be best.

If all you can get is JPG, make a folder for each lesson and name the files as page numbers (01.jpg, 02.jpg, etc.)

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 17 Jul 2022 6:09 am    

b0b wrote:
The main advantage to PDF is that you can put multiple pages in a single file. JPG doesn't support that, as far as I know. PNG and TIFF both support multiple images in a single file, but that might not be an option in your scanner program. That's why everyone is saying that PDF would be best.

If all you can get is JPG, make a folder for each lesson and name the files as page numbers (01.jpg, 02.jpg, etc.)

That is correct. I often scan multiple page documents and save them as PDF files.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 19 Jul 2022 7:59 pm    

Well,,one of our forum family has kindly and generously offered to do these for me,,,,the helping hands of this forum never ceases to amaze me!!!!!

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2022 4:49 am    

PDF uses less ink that JPG on most printers, just a thought.