The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Outgrowing an entry-level PSG?
Zach Turner

Carmel Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2022 2:14 pm    

Echoing what Andrew said, for the price of the Brisco Bud you can get a Justice Jr or a Stage One or Encore. The wait for a Justice isn't bad last I checked or you'll have to be patient for the Stage One or Encore. The Bud might be fine, but the other ones I listed are known good instruments. An advantage of this is that these guitars will sell easily and for a good price if you want to upgrade to a pro tier guitar down the road. Whereas the Bud might be harder to sell due to lack of reputation. You will have to deal with importing the other guitars to Canada, which I know can be a pain(I've spent a lot of time in Canada and am in BC right now).

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2022 6:44 pm     Re: Outgrowing an entry-level PSG?

Devon Lougheed wrote:
Hi everyone...
My question is - what makes someone outgrow an 'entry level' instrument like a Brisco Bud or a Justice S10 Jr, for example? Why would someone say "okay now it's time to upgrade".
Just trying to balance my newbie-ness and the expense of the instrument vs. my "buy nice or buy twice" instinct, if that makes sense, haha.
Obviously I don't need (and can't afford!) a $5000 instrument... but my hope is to get a lifelong instrument to record and gig with with.

You're a guitarist? So what guitar did you buy? What is your "one and only" lifetime 6-stringer? Laughing

Go ahead and buy a "starter", and don't worry about how long you'll have it, and if you'll ever outgrow it. Worry, instead, about learning to play whatever you get, and play it well. In 5 or 10 years, whatever your outlook is now, I guarantee it will have changed. Winking

Devon Lougheed

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2022 3:23 pm     BenRom #21

Well, I ended up getting a guitar that I don't think I will conceivably "outgrow"... I present to you, BenRom #21.
(First pic is not my own - it just looked too nice in that photo not to share, haha)

Played it every day for a week, lots to learn of course but having fun really digging in and completely inspired by this beautiful instrument.
Thanks again to everyone for the advice and thoughts... glad to have joined what for all intents and purposes seems to be a benevolent cult Smile

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2022 4:44 pm    

Great Job ! Ya done well there. Pedal steel was meant to be inspiring and you have an instrument that truly is.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2022 11:07 pm    

Devon, you're REALLY good to go. The only change you could ever conceivably make (and that not for a good long time!) is if you take up C6 and go for a doubleneck or get interested in a universal. Even then, that Ben-Rom could serve as your grab'n'go. It's a beauty! Winking