The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What's your favorite Steel speaker?
Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2022 7:03 am    

Tommy Boswell wrote:
I tried all of the 15 inch neo-mag speakers in my Peavey 400. The TT-15 is my favorite.

I also have matching extension cabs, a 15 inch PF400 and a 12 inch Wheelhouse 150, one at a time or both together plugged into my Quilter 202 head.
For what it's worth, those 2 speakers are rated about the same for efficiency and respnse curve. Different sounds though, PF400 is ultra clean while the Wheelhouse has a hemp cone for warmth.

I’ll attest to that… the 2-12” Wheelhouse Speakers in my p2p, are sweet warm… not sure what % you give tubes vs speaker, but a good combination none the less.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2022 8:53 am    

I'm another advocate of the TT speakers. No brittle ice pick top end, just clean and highly detailed tone right across the whole spectrum. Great speakers for pedal steel.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2022 11:31 am    

Would anyone care to explain what a "TT" speaker is? Specs? frequency curve? magnet type, cone type, frame construction? Where are they made? If - as on most forums - you mean "Tone Tubby" that's all the info I need. But if there's something else out there, I'd like to get the info about the brand.

In my circle of those who double on Steel and 5-string "TT" indicates one brand name - "Tone Tubby" - but they make a couple dozen specific models and at least double that in custom builds. I can call Thom and get specs on whaever he makes - or will custom-make.

In lower volume/mic'd amp situations I use my 1966 Deluxe Reverb wit the original Oxford 12 amd all original tbes - only the filter and bias caps have been changed (several times, as they only have a 15 year service life).

It works perfectly for warmth and headroom with my 2-pickup "Sneakycaster III" 8-string Fender 400 tuned to B6, and the 1970 Emmons cuttail "SD10" build on a D10 for me for me by Kelcey O'Neill. The Emmons as the stock pickup with roughly 12k ohm DC resistance and inductance combination that gives it close to the same output and frequency response of the Fenders - which Buddy said was something he was aiming for.

Newer steels have headed towards high DC resistance and treble/bass heavy and mid-scooped voicing that many of us find a piercing sound - especially when run through JBL speakers (my least favorite speaker for ANY use - and most commonly reconed,.

Many STILL think they handle 100 watts of RMS power, while the original design engineer has insisted on audiophile boards that JBL did not use RMS power(instead "music" power, a non-comparative specification) in their marketing - and WERE only made to handle 60 watts when new; now, with age, closer to 35-40 watts. Stick two originals in a Twin, crank it and listen for the "ripping bedsheet" sound...

Sometimes I use my '60 Twin loaded with custom-spec Tone Tubby "Blue Sky" speakers - warm and plenty of headroom if desired - or handle output stage saturation just fine.

200-300 watt amps and "hospital-clean headroom" just aren't needed with today's volume limits, widespread amp mic'ing and desire for warmer - not the80's-90's piercingly-clean - tones. It's one reason so many modern players have moved to tube amps and searched for speaker makers that manufacture products that fit the amps' sounds.

There's a whole wonderful world of tones once you step out of the "required" high-powered SS Peavey and JBL/Black widow/60-pound EV or Gauss world.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2022 12:04 pm    

Eminence Travis Toy Signature speakers. You can read all about them at eminence.com.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2022 8:09 am    

I go back and forth between my TT-12 and my Telonics 12. I love them both and I really like the Telonics company. Good people !

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2022 7:39 pm    

Jim Sliff wrote:
Would anyone care to explain what a "TT" speaker is? Specs? frequency curve? magnet type, cone type, frame construction? Where are they made? If - as on most forums - you mean "Tone Tubby" that's all the info I need. But if there's something else out there, I'd like to get the info about the brand.

In my circle of those who double on Steel and 5-string "TT" indicates one brand name - "Tone Tubby" - but they make a couple dozen specific models and at least double that in custom builds. I can call Thom and get specs on whaever he makes - or will custom-make.

In lower volume/mic'd amp situations I use my 1966 Deluxe Reverb wit the original Oxford 12 amd all original tbes - only the filter and bias caps have been changed (several times, as they only have a 15 year service life).

It works perfectly for warmth and headroom with my 2-pickup "Sneakycaster III" 8-string Fender 400 tuned to B6, and the 1970 Emmons cuttail "SD10" build on a D10 for me for me by Kelcey O'Neill. The Emmons as the stock pickup with roughly 12k ohm DC resistance and inductance combination that gives it close to the same output and frequency response of the Fenders - which Buddy said was something he was aiming for.

Newer steels have headed towards high DC resistance and treble/bass heavy and mid-scooped voicing that many of us find a piercing sound - especially when run through JBL speakers (my least favorite speaker for ANY use - and most commonly reconed,.

Many STILL think they handle 100 watts of RMS power, while the original design engineer has insisted on audiophile boards that JBL did not use RMS power(instead "music" power, a non-comparative specification) in their marketing - and WERE only made to handle 60 watts when new; now, with age, closer to 35-40 watts. Stick two originals in a Twin, crank it and listen for the "ripping bedsheet" sound...

Sometimes I use my '60 Twin loaded with custom-spec Tone Tubby "Blue Sky" speakers - warm and plenty of headroom if desired - or handle output stage saturation just fine.

200-300 watt amps and "hospital-clean headroom" just aren't needed with today's volume limits, widespread amp mic'ing and desire for warmer - not the80's-90's piercingly-clean - tones. It's one reason so many modern players have moved to tube amps and searched for speaker makers that manufacture products that fit the amps' sounds.

There's a whole wonderful world of tones once you step out of the "required" high-powered SS Peavey and JBL/Black widow/60-pound EV or Gauss world.

Jim, people are referencing the signature speakers I designed with Eminence.

https://eminence.com/products/double_t_12
https://eminence.com/products/double_t_15

-t

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2022 7:18 pm    

PF 350 is a killer 12" speaker. Just love it.

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2022 4:59 am    

David Nugent wrote:
For lower powered amps (75 watts or under) I prefer the Warehouse 'G12C/S. Recently installed them in both my Nashville 112 and my Marsh 'Melloverb Jr.' with very satisfactory results. (A definite plus is that they are approximately 1/2 the cost of designated steel guitar speakers).

I tried a lot of speakers in my 40-watt Allen Encore tube amp, and the WGS G12C/S won out. It has a controlled top end, plus a pretty good
bottom end for C6. And being a ceramic magnet speaker, it doesn't sound sterile like some of the neo-mag speakers do (at least to my ear).

Last edited by Tommy Boswell on 8 Aug 2022 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2022 8:41 pm    

I like the Eminence Cannabis Rex 12" in my Blues Deluxe for general guitar and steel duties. Can't get a harsh tone out of them. JBL K130 (the ceramic one) in my Steel King and Vibrasonic
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/

Vann Ray Cranford

Kinston, N.C. 28501-1571
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2022 10:06 pm     Peavey BW 15"1501 4 ohm Vs. Eminence Paul Franklin 15" 8 ohm

Would Someone Give Me His/Her Opinion In Comparing The 15 Inch Black Widow 1501 4 ohm Speaker To The Eminence Paul Franklin 15 Inch 8 ohm Speaker? I Am Playing A Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp. Thank You For Your Opinions!

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2022 10:54 am    

Peavy Black Widow 15 inch
Peavey Blue Marvel 12 inch
JBL D 130 15 inch are my favorites

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2022 6:07 pm    

I do love my Telonics 15's ....
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2022 3:56 am    

Jeremy Threlfall wrote:
I like the Eminence Cannabis Rex 12" in my Blues Deluxe for general guitar and steel duties. Can't get a harsh tone out of them. JBL K130 (the ceramic one) in my Steel King and Vibrasonic

I put a Cannabis Rex in Blues Jr. Love it! The stock speaker never sounded great with my lap steel to me.