The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Knee Lever Build
Paul Strojan

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2022 12:37 pm    

I want to add two or three knee levers to my Fender 800. Because I am relatively tall I need the levers to extend outside of the frame of the guitar to comfortably play the guitar. My idea is to install a square cross shaft for each knee lever. Then attach the knee lever to the cross shaft with a piece of square tubing that I can take off when it is time to put the guitar in its case.
I am struggling to find a source for the cross shaft bushings and clamps.

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2022 4:11 pm    

I am tall. I had new legs and rods made. My Right moving knees are these (salvaged fake Emmons knees) and my left moving knees are JCH or LeGrande knees. All knees fold flat enough to fit in the case. I use tension springs and heat string tubing to keep the cables from falling off the fingers from slack. I have also used fishing snap swivels at the end of pull cables which connect to holes drilled in the tips of the fingers.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2022 2:26 am     Add 4 knee levers to a Fender 400, 800, 1000 or 2000?

Add 4 knee levers to a Fender 400, 800, 1000 or 2000?
What Chris shows would work.
Years ago someone on the forum had shown a wonderful design for adding 4 knee levers to a Fender.
All 4 were mounted on a bar attached near the players edge at the back.
He had intended to offer them for sale and later changed his mind.
I searched the site and could not find the thread or remember the name of the person.
Perhaps someone else will have better luck finding it or remember who posted it? Very Happy

Okay, I just found the link and it was from Michael Yahl in Texas, Who else would come up with something so well designed?. Great design Michael and much thanks to Bob! Very Happy Heck, I'd kiss the horse for that. Laughing
Not sure where this project from 10 years ago is at now. Maybe the price would have made for very few sales? I'll contact Michale to ask him and get it from the horses mouth, Not Mr. Ed.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=214136&highlight=knee+levers+fender+400+800+1000++2000
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2022 7:08 am     Michael Yahl responded

Michael Yahl responded to my e-mail. So know you don't need to bother him to know why it's not done yet.
For anyone who does not know, he makes some of the very best replacement parts available anywhere. Good fast service too...

Hey Andy,

That is a project that has been languishing for 10 years now. Got a lot of parts made but still need to complete the bars and something else.
Just haven’t had the time to mess with it.
I’ve had numerous inquiries about it over the years but I’m currently too far behind on all the other hardware that I make to mess with it.
You don’t need to delete anything as it’s already out there.

Thanks,

Michael Yahl
PSG Parts, LLC
www.psgparts,com
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.