The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud Pro II - broken LKL bracket
David Taylor

Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2022 9:58 am    

Hello all,

First, thanks for all of the great information in the archives here. I’m new to pedal steel, and this forum is a great resource for those of us who are just starting out. Hopefully I manage to learn a few things and can make myself useful to another newbie someday.

Like many folks, a problem has led to my first post. I guess I got a little carried away with LKL on my old Sho-Bud Pro II and pushed it too hard. I heard a pop and the lever began to move freely without engaging the shaft. I can see where the lever attaches to a bracket that, in turn, attaches to the shaft. I think the problem is where the bracket meets the shaft. The shaft is about .3 inches in diameter.

I did some archive searches and found some references to some replacement brackets for hex shafts. Although my Sho-Bud has hex shafts for most part, this one appears to be a smooth shaft. I am thinking the brackets for the lever and the pull rod were welded to the shaft, as one part, but I’m not sure.

I think I may need something like the part in the top of this photo to replace the shaft and bracket: https://psgparts.com/Shaft-Cross-Round-Early-Pro-Series-125-204.htm but those are out of stock at PSG Parts. I’m also not sure how the bracket for the pull rod would attach to that shaft.

I added a photo at the end of this post with an arrow pointing to the place where the lever now spins freely on the shaft, as well as a photo that’s zoomed out a bit so you can see where the lever sits. I also pulled the piece out and took a photo of it sitting by itself. You can see where the two connecting brackets are welded to the shaft somehow. The one with the lever is the one that now spins freely. Please let me know if different photos or information would help explain the problem.

I would appreciate any advice on finding a replacement for the part, replacing the whole lever assembly or engineering a fix.

Thanks,

David

Andy Gibson

Tennessee USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2022 11:52 am    

Yeah psg parts has been out of that shaft for a while.. That's happened to me twice. Once on a pro 1 I used to own and again on a 73 pro 2 just like yours that I still have. Same knee. I had Jeff from show pro weld it, then it broke again in a different spot so he made me a new one. I think they're pot metal, I might be wrong but I think that's what jeff told me if my memory is ok.. but it ain't. It was at least 10 years ago. I told Harry Jackson about that when I was at his shop once and he almost got offened at the word "pot metal" and said they never used that crap. But I've seen it on other sho bud guitars. It's better to find a machinist to fabricate one. Or contact Michael yahl at psgparts and ask him if he can make you one, probably cost a little more but worth it. They're easy to make for someone with the skills and you can get the metal on line. But from my experience welding it back only temporarily fixes it. It'll pop on you again. And your sho bud doesn't have hex cross bars, they're round, look closely.

Last edited by Andy Gibson on 28 Jun 2022 12:03 pm; edited 3 times in total

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2022 11:58 am     Weld it

Take it to someone who can weld it back on.
Someone else will know for sure, but I think it's actually silver solder. Weld, braze, whatever, it should be attached.

David Taylor

Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2022 12:04 pm    

Thanks Andy and Ed for the advice. I called a local machinist, and I'm going to take the part over there to let him take a look later this week. I might need to make a friend of him since I doubt this will be the last time I run into something like this.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who snapped one of these off. I definitely need to be a little more gentle with my fledgling technique.
Thanks again for taking time to help.

David Taylor

Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2022 12:33 pm    

Andy, you are, of course, right about my cross bars not being hex. I thought I saw a flatter edge on the bottom of the bars, and that threw me off. Good to know so I don't pick up the wrong thing in the future.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2022 1:54 pm    

What Eric said. It's not pot metal, the 5/16" D shaft and the two tabs are all steel. One thing to be careful of, and an experienced welder or machinist will know and recognize this, but many of those old steel parts were plated with cadmium to prevent rust. Cadmium will create really toxic fumes when heated. Be careful.

David Taylor

Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2022 2:07 pm    

Thanks for the warning, Ian. I'll make sure they know, even if they already knew.

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2022 2:34 pm    

Same thing happened to my Pro II on my L-L. Taking it to a machinist is a good plan. The guy's shop specialized in motorcycle fabrication and repair. He also drilled my pedal board to accept an Emmons volume pedal. I should have asked him to finish this out a bit, as it looks a little rough. No one has ever said anything about it though, and it's lasted for 46 years!

David Taylor

Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2022 2:55 pm    

Thanks Kenny! I'd be happy if I wound up with that piece and it lasted that long. Sounds like it's getting the job done. If this guy doesn't work out, I'll check for a motorcycle shop. I could see where this kind of thing might be up their alley.