The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar Pickup Demo
Michael Heaphy

New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2022 2:02 pm    

Hello Fellow Steelers...This posting is for Mr. Scott Swartz and anyone thinking of changing pickups. About a month ago I decided to make a change to my old Sho~Bud...no particular reason but I was just looking to freshen up the sound...I did some research and decided to try a Steeltronics for several reasons...Number one I liked the sound I heard on a video and number two it would fit the pickup slot. I got it in with some big help from Scott and got it stung up and working. I really liked what I heard immediately so I did a before and after take and sent it to Scott. He also liked it and suggested I post it here which I am happily doing... Big change in my opinion and I love it...the recording is just a rough mix of an old "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" album which I am sure you are all familiar with...not the greatest mix but you will get the idea. It is direct into the computer interface with just some reverb and a little compression...,no other FX..It sounds even so much better through the Nashville 400 of course...Scott was terrific to work with and very professional...he knows his stuff...Thank you to him and all of you for listening...Regards...Mike Heaphy https://youtu.be/B_2sv_SRbek

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2022 3:30 pm    

Both pickups sound good, I sort of favor the vintage nasally tone from the first sample, Sho-Bud then Steeltronics, correct? Thanks for doing this demo! Nice playing, too!!

Dan Behringer

Jerseyville, Illinois
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2022 4:16 am    

Me too! I just installed a Steeltronics single coil in my GFI and was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounds. I had a Wallace TT in the guitar which sounded better to my ears than the original pickup, and the Steeltronics actually has an edge over the Wallace.
The only reason I wanted to replace the Wallace was because the one I had didn’t fit the guitar. The pole magnets didn’t line-up with the strings, and that always annoyed me. Now everything looks right and sounds great. So glad I made the swap!

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2022 11:04 am    

Sho Bud for me.

Michael Heaphy

New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2022 6:56 am    

Hello again, Steel Friends...I've answered all three great comments and hope they post. I'm kind of new to the writing part of the Forum. Thank you all for your thoughts on this...Thank you, too, to Scott for sending and helping get this terrific pickup up and running ...I'll post another cover I'm fooling around with, through the amp this time, when it's done.
God Bless you all and Stay well and stay playing,
Mike

Michael Heaphy

New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2022 7:15 am     Steel Guitar Pickup Demo

Hello, John...Thank you so much for your input. I appreciate that. Yes, there is definitely a difference and they both sound good...thanks, too for you kind words...always working to improve...Best Regards,
Mike

Michael Heaphy

New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2022 10:31 am    

Hey, Dan...Then you know exactly what I am talking about...this pickup does have a nice edge to it...I can also see why you would want to replace that other pickup...if it doesn't sit directly under the strings I would imagine some degree of volume and tone might suffer...at least a bit. Glad you are up an running...something like that could keep you up at night...lol Thanks for your input and Best Regards... Mike

Last edited by Michael Heaphy on 26 Jun 2022 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Michael Heaphy

New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2022 10:34 am    

Hello Joe... Yes,the old standard.. Thanks so much for your answer...yeah, I love how there are so many variables these days. Every player is so particular about his/ her sound..from strings to effects, to amps, to pickups...even picks themselves...just great and that is what makes every player so unique...Thanks again and Be well... Mike