The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Time to Retire
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2022 11:07 am    

I have decided its time to “retire” from playing in bands. At age 84 and 2 years since our weekly show was discontinued due to Covid. I’ve only played in Cowboy church twice in the 2 years. Nothing else by choice and with lower back problems I need a roadie to load and unload. To be truthful I’ve lost it. I still pick at home but not much incentive.

I’ve had a good run, here in Florida, since I retired in late 96. 13 years in the house band at Catfish Johnny’s Restaurant in Lake Panasoffkee Fl. 7 years touring in Florida with Tommy Cash and 2 years with George Hamilton IV. Lots of other 1 night shows with Nashville talent such as David Frizzell and many others. 10 year run on a weekly show in Oxford Florida (The Villages). I started the Florida Steel Guitar Club in Sept 2002 and ran it (with the help of Don Sulesky and Blake Hawkins) until 2016. Had a very active home recording studio. End of second career.

I will have some gear for sale coming up. I still was planning on playing till about two weeks ago and have some new or near new gear to sell. I’ll be posting items for sale soon.

I'll continue to be active on the forum.

To add, prior to moving to Florida, I lived (and was busy with music) in Kansas City Mo.

Last edited by Jack Stoner on 17 Jun 2022 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2022 11:55 am    

Sure hope playing is the only thing you're slowing down... You're one of the voices I've always paid attention too. Pretty cool that you've been able to do this till 84
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Michael Sawyer

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2022 11:55 am    

I understand,but hope you will continue showing up on the forum...
Your praise of the Quilter TT12 specifically led me to buying one- and I couldn't be more pleased.
I am 58 and hope if i make it to 84 i can still play...

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2022 12:19 pm    

Jack,
As Dale mentioned, sure hope you continue sharing your wealth of experience with us here on the Forum. I always “click” on Jack Stoner posts/responses. You’ve helped a lot of us over the years…close to 18 for this ‘Ol Hacker” 👍 Much appreciated sir! Carl

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2022 12:52 pm    

Jack, I have always enjoyed your posts and your comments and I hope that you will continue to share your vast knowledge and experience with us. It sounds like you've had a wonderful musical journey and I wish you the best.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2022 1:55 pm    

Jack, you are a trooper and certainly the voice of reason on the forum. I agree with all the previous comments and wish you all the best in retirement.

Robert Murphy

West Virginia
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2022 2:44 pm    

Congratulations, well done. I am 72 and busier than ever. I hope the next 10 years are good ones.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2022 9:15 pm    

78 now, and I've recently gotten a whole lot busier. With careful lifting and attention to leverage, a 4 wheeler hand truck, and as much trimming of gear weight as I can manage, I can get everything done that I need to do. It's worth mentioning, though, that there's a good workout in all that loading in and out, and an even better one in a few hours of laying down some good music.And we get paid for it, too. What's not to love?

All that said, I can tell that the brute strength isn't what it was, and if I'm lucky, I'll be able to let go at the precise time I feel the need. Smile

Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2022 2:16 am    

Jack, After many years of enjoying your musicianship and friendship I appreciate all you have done.
In addition to all the music, your skill as an amp technician and recording studio owner is much appreciated.
I expect we will have many more years of enjoying good food and ecah other's company.

Bruce Heffner

Payson, Arizona
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2022 8:15 am     Putting the bar down

Jack, the COVID has ruined a lot of musicians fun. At 71, in my retirement town of Payson, Arizona, there is little left to do for a steel player, unless one wants to engage the local out of time, tune and too loud jam sessions. My Steel has set with a cover on it going on 2 years in the music room; however, now focusing on something easier, but terrifying, a friend of mine who has a great voice, (he didn't know it), and I have a 2 guitar acoustic duo singing at one of the 42 churches in this tiny cowboy town. It's nice to be able to walk in one trip with a hand free to open the entry door, and although playin steel will always be my favorite thing to do, this enterprise keeps my soul in time, tune and not too loud. Jack, you'll just have to use your other talents and keep the faith. You made it to your 80's doing what you love. Many people never had anything they loved to do but complain!

Bruce

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2022 10:45 am    

Jack I may be following you soon. I still like to play but the crowds here in Florida are thinning out. I've really enjoyed playing on the steel jams with you. Let's stay in touch and go grab some big juicy steaks sometime.

Rick Bernauer

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2022 1:14 pm    

Jack, thanks for sharing your knowledge. I hope you continue to participate and enjoy the community here on the forum even if you're not playing out in public.
You've played so much over the years that it's great to hear your perspective. You've done a lot of shows and helped the PSG community in KC and Florida.
Who knows, maybe we passed each other at some club in KC or at the counter in Quigley's Music store in the late '80s when I bought my copy of Cakewalk. Take care.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2022 3:24 pm    

Best of luck, Jack; I hope you can fill your time in an enjoyable way. I assume you'll keep your GFI and play it a bit?

I beat you to it, however. After turning pro in Britain in '59 and moving to the US in 1996, I've been stopped in my tracks by my kidneys and the hemodialysis routine. Rescheduling dialysis in another city for the duration of a contract is possible but it's a bit of a disincentive.

I'm going to get a new guitar with a 12-string D13 tuning and fill my time that way. As for you, I enjoyed our meeting very much (I was returning to FL from some far-flung gig somewhere and we met off I'75, you'll recall). It was actually our second meeting: years earlier, my wife and I came to a show at George IV's invitation (he took us for dinner, too) at a retirement community somewhere. George and I played literally hundreds of shows together in Britain. I got to sit at your Franklin - the first and last one I've had my hands on - but your pedals were the wrong way around. Smile

Happy retirement, Jack, but keep playing.

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2022 5:13 pm    

I know it’s a tough decision Jack, and wish you all the best. I’ve enjoyed all your post and advice on the forum.

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2022 3:40 pm    

That's a good run Jack. I hope i can be so lucky. Enjoy you retirement!

John Poston

Albuquerque, NM, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2022 11:53 am    

That's indeed an amazing run! I'd consider myself blessed to catch up to you in just 33 more years.

Hopefully you can have people over to the house occasionally for a pickin party. I truly believe playing music helps keep us young!

Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2022 8:59 am    

wishing you the best jack. i've enjoyed reading your posts and insights.

play music!

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2022 8:29 am    

Best of luck Jack! Always loved seeing your thoughtful posts here. What a run you had! I can only hope to make it as long as you did! Congrats!

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2022 4:35 am    

I echo what has been said, thank you for your input on many different subjects.
At 85, I too have felt the slowdown , mostly missing my Church musicians, may try again soon, still trying to decide.

All the best to you Mr. Jack

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 13 Jul 2022 6:36 pm    

Congratulations, Jack, on your steeling! Pick that thing at home and keep having fun. That's what it's really about, after all. If I'm still at it at 82 I will count myself lucky.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2022 8:46 am    

Heck of a decision Jack, one we will all make at some point. I am pretty much retired on Steel but I'm still taking gigs here and there on Tele , which only requires a simple gear set up. No heavy lifting, no D10 .

Like you, my 2x/mth Steel gig got shut down March 2020 due to Covid, we attempted a revival late last year but it didn't work out. Then our band leader, the show star . passed away . So there was no way we would continue, and I wasn't interested in continuing regardless.

I've played two Steel shows since last year, the 2nd one I couldn't wait for my set to end. I really had no desire to play and my own performance was terrible.

Jack you've had a great run and helped many here with comments and suggestions regarding gigs and gear. me being one of them. Enjoy your TIME AWAY from the stage , you more than earned it !

Stay well

Tony

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Tomas Enguidanos

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2022 1:03 pm     A life well led

Sure sounds like a life worth living! Congrats on your music and love of pedal steel!

Tomas Enguidanos

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2022 1:04 pm     A life well led

Sure sounds like a life worth living! Congrats on you music and love of pedal steel!

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2022 5:43 pm    

Jack Stoner is a wealth of advice here on the Forum. A life time of experience. Stick around here in the Forum Jack. Enjoy your retirement.