The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Updates/Preference Necessary
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 4:34 am    

I own BIAB 2013 and run it from the hard drive. Yes I know it can be a tad slow loading, but its not a big deal

Lately it barely ran, Win7, Win 10 and the new Win 11 Update . It would take several minutes to load and many of the features that I use on a regular basis didn't work, like SONG rendering ! I also noted that I may write a SONG FILE (SGU) and it was not listed as saved even though it was saved. It was driving me crazy for several days.

I read multiple GOOGLE discussions , tried many things all which did not fix or solve anything

except for ONE, the most obvious. MY bad Sad

One discussion a guy ( not BIAB support) said, before we do anything go grab all the latest updates for your version from the BIAB website, point them to wherever you are running the program, for me its the hard drive BB Folder

15 min later the program is running just fine. It takes about 30 seconds to load the entire program and the RENDER options are working just fine. Do remember though that if we are RENDERING a file that has a combo of REAL TRACKS and MIDI tracks, it can take a few minutes. The very top menu bar will give an approx. TIME in MIN/Seconds along with progress.

While I am not the resident guru here, far from it, I should have known to perform the 2013 UPDATES without being told ! Shocked

IF we are having issues, such as it worked fine not long ago , and now its behaving oddly, go grab the latest updates before you start chasing your tail, like I did !

I have owned this BIAB 2013 since, well, 2013, I never performed any updates and trust me on this, the LIST of included fixes, whatever, is HUGE !

Another thing of importance, PREFERENCES . When starting/loading BIAB, it may be preferred to NOT load the previous session or styles. Under preferences UNCHECK those boxes, let BIAB load to a clean canvas.

Another thing to be aware of, if we are using different PC's ( or Laptops) like I do, be sure the BBW shortcut path is correct for the PC you are using and the USB port the Hard drive or thumb drive is plugged into matches the shortcut path.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 10:59 am    

Tony,

Thanks for sharing your insights and suggestions. I agree with you that installing the latest update for whatever version you are running usually helps a lot if you're experiencing issues. I checked the PG Music website https://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm and found updates are available for Window versions all the way back to 2006!

If I may add an additional suggestion, save your preference settings. Band-in-a-Box saves program settings in a preference file. Saving settings is as easy as navigating to Options > Save Preference File ... and then giving the file a name. Once saved, Options > Load Preference File restores your settings in less than a second.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 11:48 am    

Yes correct Jim, good catch I failed to mention SAVE preferences !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 May 2022 2:15 am    

I have Win 11 and BIAB 2017. It loads fast (normally) and last update I recall doing was before Win 11.
I rarely use it anymore and this may be the first time I opened it since upgrading to Win 11.

My desktop/DAW machine is a self-built with an i9 9900K and a fast M.2 NVME SSD drive.