The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Has anyone used Tiptonic finger picks? Or Picky picks?
Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2022 10:38 pm    

Bob I wasn't sure which Forum category to ask this.

These are picks that cover your fingernails.
Mostly used for finger picking acoustic guitar, uke, banjo etc.
But I wonder how well they might work on pedal steel.
Perhaps not so well with close string spacing maybe?
Also more work to install and remove.
Seems like advantages might be another good way to block, and less noise(clicking) of metal finger picks.
Has anyone tried these?

To see them just search Tiptonic finger picks.
Also does anyone use the Ernie Ball Picky picks?

I'm happy with what I use now, just wondering if they would be worth a try anyway.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 2:56 pm    

Dick, I haven't heard of those but did try the Alaska picks, which are the same concept. Since I also play fingerstyle guitar I thought they might work. Didn't work out for me.

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 7:08 pm     Picks

Thanks for your reply Larry.
I too enjoy finger picking, had hoped for some positives
but figured probably not.

David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2022 5:08 am    

Not sure what you’re looking for in a fingerpick, but I discovered ACRI finger picks and now I won’t use anything else. I do Fingerstyle acoustic guitar competitions and play banjo, dobro, steel etc etc. These wrap around your fingers and don’t dig in to your cuticles or cause pain. They stay put and feel great ! Just thought I’d pass this along.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2022 11:21 am    

I saw the ACRI picks at Banjo Ben's. Might try them out:

https://store.banjobenclark.com/products/acri-picks-medium-stainless-steel-fingerpicks-pair
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2022 12:03 pm     picks

For many years now I have been perfectly happy using National NP-2 picks.
The reason though I brought up these Tiptonic picks is they are the type that are shaped and fit right over the finger nails, they are held on with some sort of adhesive allowing one to finger pick with rather than relying on your fingernails. They also hook over the front edge of the fingernails.
I have played without picks and like it but I prefer using my Nationals.
I had just wondered if these fingernail picks would perhaps reduce the "clicking" sounds from the metal picks, perhaps allow good blocking, and allow one to upstroke pick along with down strokes on the strings.
Be fun to try but it seems a bit of a nuisance to install and uninstall them.
Too bad there isn't a pick to wear like the norm but actually was designed to go over the nail to extend the nail a tad to allow Flamenco style of picking for example.
I am thinking the picks would especially help on 10-12-14 string steels for picking accuracy where the strings are fairly close together.
Anyway if anyone else has tried picks such as these give a holler.
So far Larry is the only one who has tried similar with no success.
Greg and David thanks for the tip on ACRI picks, I do have a couple sets of them and use them sometimes.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2022 1:16 pm    

Dick, I might add that I went to a small show at a local music store to see Guitarist Chris Proctor, fingerstyle player. He wore the Alaska picks and had no pick noise. He showed us how he modified the wrap by cutting one of the bands that hold them on. I was thrilled and thought I would try them. I probably didn't give them a long enough trial to become proficient. I still do thumbpick and bare fingers on guitar and add Dunlop or National finger picks for pedal steel,banjo or Dobro.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2022 4:53 am    

Hello Dick. I’ve used EB Picky Picks since I started in the early 70’s. They accommodated the angle of my wrist better than more traditional picks. I’m so used to them now.... it’s all about which ones work the best for each one of us.
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Gary Sill

Mt. Zion, IL, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2022 12:47 pm     I use Ernie Ball Picky Picks

I like the tone they make and I like the way they fit my fingers. I will have them on my site in a day or so.

Call me if you want some.

217-433-7455

Sill Music Supply
A beautiful Laquer Mullen G2, 2 Nashville 112's, Evans 10" R150 Amp,1982 Emmons Push Pull D-10, Hilton Pedals, 12/8 MSA Superslide, Green LDG Sho-Bud-Owned by Lloyd, S-6 Fender 1956 Lap. , Gretsch Country Gentleman, red Gibson 2019, ES 335, Quilter, Gretsch Resonator, Eastman Mandolin

Steve Tichenor

Kentucky
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2022 6:03 pm    

I just got the Tiptonic picks in two days ago. I really think I'm going to like them on dobro/lap steel. I haven't been playing these instrument long, being mostly an acoustic guitar player most of my life, but I've noticed that when playing fast rolls, my speed is better. Pick blocking also seems more natural being able to feel the string with the pads of the fingers. I also like the tone over metal picks on the lap steel and maybe even the dobro. I haven't played with them out yet, but in the studio, I do like the smoothness of the tone.

The main thing I'm concerned about is whether they will stay on for an extended period of time. I play at a church that does three services, so they have to be on my fingers for quite a while. It's kind of a hassle putting them on with the heating unit. I've noticed them coming off some when they've been on for a few hours. I've been using a nail moisturiser and that might be causing them to not stay on after a few hours.

Another reason I want to use these picks is to protect my nails when I'm flat picking guitar. Last week I totally shredded half of my middle finger nail with hard strumming. I think when I get my nails in proper shape, it will help them staying on.

It does take a while to find the right fit and the web site suggested doubling up on the adhesive which I haven't tried yet.

I'll post an update in a few days.