The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Good new speakers for Princeton Reverb for Steel/Electric
Dan Hockstein

Washington DC, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2022 11:31 am    

Hey all,

Recently got a late 70s pull-boost Princeton Reverb from a co-worker that came with an original orange frame JBL 10" speaker. I've owned some Fender circuits, but never had the "real deal" and it's probably the best sounding amp I've ever come across, even though it needs some love.

While I love the JBL and will keep it on hand, I'm also interested in something that has a more classic Fender sound with some more rolled off top end - while "hi-fi," I already have a Milkman Amp 100 going into a K130 to cover the "big ol' clean headroom and tons of frequencies" territory. I'm also a little afraid of damaging the JBL as I know recones can be hit or miss these days. I can't shell out the prices old Altecs and EVs are commanding , and I know those are good options.

I'm looking for a new-market speaker that might get a sound appropriate for both steel and electric for low-volume steel & tele recording or gigs. I play classic country stuff but tend to live more in the psych/cosmic/alt domain so it doesn't need to be pristine steel show sound.

I know I could move up to a 12", but intend to stick with a 10" speaker, especially because I believe the baffle on these late 70s models is glued-in and can't be replaced without sawing out the existing one.

Been checking out the Jupiter stuff, Eminence Alessandro, Webers - anyone particularly happy with what they have?

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2022 12:11 pm    

Weber 10A150H, alnico magnet & hemp cone

Gil James

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2022 4:29 pm    

I blew out the original Jensen in my 67 princeton a couple of years ago. I use it mainly for telecaster duties, I bought an Eminence Ragin Cajun on the spur of the moment to replace it. I hated it right off the bat , too sterile or stiff sounding. I ran my wife's Korg through it for a couple of weeks while she practiced, and now I love it . Just needed breaking in I guess. Wasn't that expensive then, but that may have changed. Now I use it for tele and steel. It's got more volume than the original and doesn't seem to break up as soon?

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2022 10:53 pm    

Eminence 1058 speakers are said to be very close to Jensen/Oxford Fender "Special Design" speakers that were *the* "fender sound" in many of their amp models. Pay attention to speaker efficiency as you make your choice. It might be very difficult to maintain the efficiency and thus headroom offerred by a JBL in a small amp.

But given that JBLs are ultra high efficiency I would perhaps be more inclined to have an amp tech mod the amp (probably change one 50 cent component) rather than spend $100+ on a replacement speaker.

Also - If the amp has vintage GE preamp tubes - those will be much brighter than RCA or Sylvania (for example). Changing preamp tubes is a "reversible mod. I've generally found fully tested vintage RCA and Sylvanias for under $30. Honestly... $5 and $20 repectively... before the Russian war impact on tube prices.

Last edited by Tom Gorr on 17 Jun 2022 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2022 12:18 am    

I have a '79 Fender Silverface Princeton Reverb with the pull booster switch on it. I replaced the original speaker with a Weber 10F150T, 8 ohm, 50w, light dope. I use it on gigs for a Tele or a Strat and it's my "go to" amp for when I play my Fender D8 Stringmaster. I've never used it for pedal steel on a gig but it sounds good with a psg in the practice room. I use stomp boxes on guitar gigs and I wanted a lot of headroom so I got the 50w instead of the 25w. I like it a lot and it can handle small to medium sized rooms. It's a very popular replacement speaker for Princeton Reverbs.