The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zeppelin Design Labs Ernie Ball Volume Pedal Mod
Brian Lenherr

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2022 4:34 pm    

Has anyone seen this?

I just finished modding my EB Volume Pedal with this, and I'm in love. It's a fantastic mod. I had an EB Jr. lying around collecting dust, and figured I'd give it a go. My soldering skills are rough, so it took me a while, but it was totally worth it. You can get the pre made module, or do it yourself.

https://zeppelindesignlabs.com/product/vpm-1-volume-pedal-mod/

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2022 3:26 am    

Brian, cool mod. Did you do the kit? And is the sweep similar to a standard Goodrich pedal? Thanks.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2022 3:48 am    

Sort of makes this a "poor man's" Telonics pedal with the different options.

Only drawback (for some) is the EB is designed for someone standing up not sitting down.

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2022 4:51 am    

Brian, I picked up Jr just so I could try the mod. They say they're working on one for a standard pedal.
When Ernie designed the pedal, I thought he was playing pedal steel.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2022 5:49 am    

Bill, I believe you are correct. I have a couple EB volume pedals and use them for regular guitar but prefer my Goodrich for steel. I have yet to switch the 250 ohm pot for a 500k in the EB. I know of a few players that use these for pedal steel. As Jack stated they lend themselves best for standing.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2022 5:57 am    

This is impressive. I don't have an EB pedal and I have enough pedals that I don't see buying one. I will assume that as thoughtfully as this seems to be designed, it is EB specific. I'd be interested in trying it with a Goodrich 120 if I thought it could be installed but I kind of doubt it.

Question to Brian -- they refer to choice of taper. Is this achieved by selecting which resistors you install (or whatever components....) or is it adjustable, after assembly & installation?

Brian Lenherr

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2022 6:12 am     Mod

Larry: Yeah - I did the mod kit, so it was affordable. I haven't played a Goodrich, so I can't speak to that, but they have different tapers so you can pick one of theirs or customize your own. So I'm sure you can get the Goodrich action down with some effort.

Bill: The mod kit is the same for the full size pedal - they just have an adapter to fill the gap on the full size. Looks like it's just a shaped piece of plastic. I'd love to hear how you like the mod!

Jon: No there's a selector switch in the pedal so you can choose between different sweep options, or you can customize your own. Once the components are installed, you're set. No need to swap stuff out.

I have been really enjoying it. I like the pivot point of the EB, and haven't really had any issues re: standing up vs. sitting down.

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2022 1:34 pm    

Brian, I'm glad to hear they are now offering the adapter. I had been checking their site and they have been out of stock, but then I haven't checked lately. When I pick up a kit, I'll post my thoughts. I was intrigued by the "boost" ability, how does it sound?
I use my EB pedal when I play lap or Tele, I like being able to "set" the pedal. I have a Sho-Bud, but it springs closed, unlike the Sho-Bud pedal on my LDG.