The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New to me Kline double 10
Russell Bauman

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2022 1:29 pm    

Forum members,

I joined SGM a few weeks ago with the idea that I would learn about the steel guitar while saving money to purchase one. I thought it best to buy a new guitar because I know nothing about pedal steel, but then I saw this Kline come up on reverb and I got it for a price I could afford. Everything I read about them was positive so I figured taking the leap even as a beginner wouldn't be that bad. It came in the mail this weekend from the northeast corner of Nebraska, and from the serial number it seems this one is the 25th guitar made. According to the seller it is a vintage '77. I tuned the open strings on e9 first and I haven't messed with the pedal tunings because they sound ok thus far. c6 has not received any attention. A B and C pedals are all standard, but the knee levers seem different. Copedents are a bit of a mind twister to me so if someone chimes in with advice I am all ears.

Copedent information: included in a picture. There is a lever that I push my left knee up and I'm not sure how to notate it. Please correct my copedent terminology if it needs it. I know very little.

So I am just beginning my pedal steel journey, but I am amazed at how positive everyone seems to be on the forum. I have searched old posts and the congenial attitude toward one another is obvious and contagious. I find this to be a welcome breath of fresh air even though I am one who has eschewed all forms of social media in favor of more luddite past times.

Kind regards,

Russell Bauman

Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2022 6:02 pm    

Welcome to the SGF, Russell. You're right, it is a wonderful, helpful community. Congratulations on the Kline. They are great guitars. I have not played my old '78 Kline S12 much lately but it was essentially my only guitar for over 30 years and hundreds of gigs.

Your copedent isn't exactly standard, but back in '77 the knee pulls weren't quite as standardized as they are now. The up-lever is known as a vertical knee lever and is usually designated LKV for left knee vertical. The 4th string raise you have there is not the most common pull, but I happen to like it myself - it's what I put on my LKV. Many players have the B-to-Bb change there.

The end piece on your LKV is a little crooked. You could loosen the locking nut and straighten it, then retighten the nut.

If you are mechanically inclined you could try changing your LKV and RKL to more standardized pulls, but you have the most important changes already in the most standardized locations, so there's no urgency.

Wishing you luck and fun with your new guitar!

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2022 4:01 am     Kline

I have it's twin....

I sent you a P.M.

Mike D

Chance Wilson

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2022 7:29 am    

nice-here's one with 9P/705s/plated pedals