The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gfi Ultra
Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2022 4:36 am    

I hooked a GFI SD10 ULTRA I just bought to my amp without making any settings changes and was surprised at the sound difference. The ULTRA needed more treble to bring out the sparkle. Once I added the treble the sound was identical to my other guitar I was playing. My other guitar has E66 pickups and evidently the stock GFI pickup trims the top end some. The ULTRA is light and compact and a pleasure to play.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2022 6:02 am    

Welcome to the "club". I downsized from an Ultra D-10 to an Ultra S10PU (SD10) Keyless back in December. The D10 had Lawrence 710 pickups which I liked so I put one in the new S10PU.

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2022 6:36 am    

Thanks Jack. I think I am going to like this guitar. I plan to install a new pickup when I change the strings. I like the compact size and the action. The pad is nice too.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2022 7:11 am    

Welcome to the Club. For weight I went from a 74 MSA S 10 to GFI S 12 U. I have a Keyed S12, And a S12 Keyless too, Both have E-66 pickups, Through an Evans AH 200 with a mod. or Quilter Tone Block 202 I have to cut the treble back, Or the sound is picky to mine and others ears.

The GFI S12 Keyless seems to be special, It has sustain that I have never heard in a guitar under my hands.

Happy Steelin.

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2022 8:04 am    

Thanks Bobby, this guitar does have noticeable sustain. I can carry notes and chords for several frets and still have sustain. Even sliding the bar backwards the sustain keeps going. The sustain was what I noticed first. This thing is going to be a pleasure to play out. To be so light weight the guitar is stable.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2022 8:13 am    

Having still not had a response from Mitsuo with regard to a new 12-string Excel, it occurs to me that GFI might be the answer.

I wonder what their delivery estimate is these days.

How long is a keyless, and what scale-length do they have?

Oh, and how many raise/lowers do they have?

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2022 8:36 am     Gfi

Hi Bill, I've owned a S10 ultra keyless For years.Seems bullet proof.

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2022 9:34 am    

Hey Joe. I have been dialing mine in all morning, it is almost there.i had a little problem with a couple of things rubbing, minor details. I am amazed at the sustain! I love the guitar.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2022 11:17 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
Having still not had a response from Mitsuo with regard to a new 12-string Excel, it occurs to me that GFI might be the answer.

I wonder what their delivery estimate is these days.

How long is a keyless, and what scale-length do they have?

Oh, and how many raise/lowers do they have?

Here is the statement on their web site:

Quote:
We have had an unusually large number of orders during the pandemic which has caused a bit of a traffic jam in our production. Additionally we are experiencing shortages and delays with some of our parts and materials suppliers. This has pushed out our lead times by quite a bit and made even estimating shipping times very difficult. Our best guess on instrument lead times is probably about 5-7 months. We appreciate your patience and please know we are doing all we can to get everyone's order out as quickly as possible.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2022 8:56 pm    

Mr. Roger,
The S12 GFI Ultra Keyless
Body is 30 5/8 inches long
It has a 24 inch scale,
It has a 3 Raise 2 Lower changer.
Have not weighed this guitar, My keyed S12 GFI keyed weighs 49 lb. in its case.

The GFI Ultra Keyless does not have Nut Rollers it just has a chromed solid rod for a nut. There is only 1/2 inch of string between bar and tuning finger on the longest string tuned. There is no problem with strings not returning from a lower or raise to open tuning.

When I seen the solid rod nut, I set designed and drew out a roller nut system for the guitar. I bought a stainless steel 3/8 inch rod for the project. Once I got the guitar set up, New strings and played it. The guitar has so much sustain I will not change anything. Afraid I would mess up the sustain.

Good Luck in the quest for a new guitar, Happy Steelin

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2022 2:02 am    

According to the GFI web site listing all 12 string guitars are keyless models.
S12 stock with 7/5 is 30lbs. S12 with pad stock is 34lbs.

GFI cases are built like "battleships" and are around 17lbs. I'm using a Gator G-PG-49 padded keyboard case - 6lbs.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2022 4:43 am    

Thank you, Bobby and Jack.

I haven't yet fully worked out my needs so I don't yet know to 3-raise/2-lower is enough for what I'm planning.

The other info is just what I'm looking for. I'd need to get used to the somewhat utilitarian appearance of the GFI but the same is true of my other option, the Excel.

If MSA didn't have such a long delivery time, that's the way I'd go.

I appreciate the responses.

Charles Galloway

Duncan, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2022 5:18 am     GFI Ultra

Hello, Bill, and greetings from Harnett County. Just eight months ago I bought a GFI Expo S10P. (Mine is not keyless) It has the GFI III pickups and plays fantastic. Although I am brand new to PSG, I have noticed that mine will sustain for quite a while. When I increase the Pre-Gain on my Nashville 112, it will sustain even longer without large overall volume increases. Enjoy your Ultra. I think you'll be pleased.

Best regards,

Charles Galloway
Duncan, N.C.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2022 5:19 am    

EXCEL isn’t the only one having problems. Williams quoted me 9 months lead time. Luckily I already have too many steels!!
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 3 Jun 2022 10:16 am     Re: GFI Ultra

[quote="Charles Galloway"]Hello, Bill, and greetings from Harnett County. Just eight months ago I bought a GFI Expo S10P. (Mine is not keyless) It has the GFI III pickups and plays fantastic. Although I am brand new to PSG, I have noticed that mine will sustain for quite a while. When I increase the Pre-Gain on my Nashville 112, it will sustain even longer without large overall volume increases. Enjoy your Ultra. I think you'll be pleased.

Hey Charles, I see you live in a great town, Duncan.
I have had a couple of days to set up and wallow this thing and I like it more all the time. At first, I thought I may have to change the pickup, but tweaking my amp a little has this thing suiting me fine. Not only is the sustain outstanding, but there is also virtually no suck at the 12th fret. I have not played it out yet, but I see no problems. The action is supple and quick making it easy to control touch. I am going to add a fifth lever.

Keep on pickin!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2022 1:28 pm     Re: GFI Ultra

[quote="Bill Duncan"]
Charles Galloway wrote:
Hello, Bill, and greetings from Harnett County. Just eight months ago I bought a GFI Expo S10P. (Mine is not keyless) It has the GFI III pickups and plays fantastic. Although I am brand new to PSG, I have noticed that mine will sustain for quite a while. When I increase the Pre-Gain on my Nashville 112, it will sustain even longer without large overall volume increases. Enjoy your Ultra. I think you'll be pleased.

Hey Charles, I see you live in a great town, Duncan.
I have had a couple of days to set up and wallow this thing and I like it more all the time. At first, I thought I may have to change the pickup, but tweaking my amp a little has this thing suiting me fine. Not only is the sustain outstanding, but there is also virtually no suck at the 12th fret. I have not played it out yet, but I see no problems. The action is supple and quick making it easy to control touch. I am going to add a fifth lever.

Keep on pickin!

Here's a picture of the LKV That I installed on my new S-10PU. It was located based on a picture of one installed by the factory.

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 4 Jun 2022 5:02 am     Re: GFI Ultra

[quote="Jack Stoner"s

Here's a picture of the LKV That I installed on my new S-10PU. It was located based on a picture of one installed by the factory.

[/quote]

Thank you, Jack. The picture is a great help. That is exactly what I want.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2022 7:00 am    

With the parts situation, better start now, call Bob at GFI and get on the "list".

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 6 Jun 2022 4:36 am    

I am going to have to eat some crow here.

I have had two MSA's, a ShoBud, a Fender, and a home-built guitar. I was always of the opinion that it is the pickup, strings, amp, and hands that were the sole determining factors of tone. Now, maybe not so much.

After spending time with the GFI Ultra, there is a much better, rounder, fatter, smoother, tone coming from somewhere. Same hands, same bar, same amp. Strings? I don't know what brand, they came on it. But the sound is better. Gene Fields did something different.

I have one good ear and a half, and I really do like the sound better. That is my opinion, and really is the only one that matters.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2022 5:33 am    

New GFI's from the factory come with SIT Buddy Emmons Stainless Steel. I'm using SIT Sho-Bud gauges nickel.

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2022 6:47 am    

Speaking of GFI’s…I recently had a couple of fly dates for some private gigs, one in New York and another in Nassau. We flew by small jet from Orlando Executive Airport. While rarely, if ever taking my LDG out of the house (my D10 Derby is back at my house in TN), I chose to rent a GFI SM10, 3 & 4 from our local Sam Ash store. Back line amps provided were mostly Fender and I quickly chose the Twin Reverb. I just used that amp, the little GFI SM10 and a Goodrich Omni pedal, everything went well. The GFI had a GFI II pickup and sounded good. I would be very pleased to own an “Ultra” model with a GFI III pickup either with or without pad. GFI’s are great guitars, wish I had purchased one long ago.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2022 7:27 am    

If I had to choose between the GFI II or III. I would pick the II.
We had an Expso S-10 with a GFI II and it sounded almost as good as a Lawrence 710.
My new Ultra came with a GFI III and it had boomy lows (too much) and bright highs. I tamed it by installing a Lawrence 710.
According to Bob at GFI the difference between the II and III, the II uses plain steel blades and the III uses stainless steel blades.

The GFI web site is showing Steeltronics pickups and looks like they may be offering them instead of the GFI II and III made by George L's.

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2022 9:03 am    

Thanks, Jack. I’m used to the Lawrence 710’s so, I would probably choose the GFI II if still available. Yes, I saw where the Steeltronics humbucking pickup was now being offered too, good choice.

Anthony Parish

Austin
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2022 9:57 am    

Jerry Van Hoose wrote:
Speaking of GFI’s…I recently had a couple of fly dates for some private gigs... I chose to rent a GFI SM10, 3 & 4 from our local Sam Ash store.

If you liked the SM (student model), I suspect an Expo or Ultra would kick up the enjoyment a notch or two. Last year I sold an Expo SD10 to a touring player who wanted to keep his D10 at home. I think GFI strikes a good balance between weight/reliability/sound/value.

Tony Parish

Jack Wilson

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2022 1:45 pm     GFI II and III

George L has stopped making pickups so GFI is using new vendors. There my be some GFI I pickups left, which have lower output than the II or III.