The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What Is 32 Bit Audio? (Article)
Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2022 10:31 am    

The online Wired magazine portal has a nice explanation of 32 floating bit audio as well as why you might want to use it or why not.
https://www.wired.com/story/32-bit-float-audio-explained/
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Gary Newcomb

AustinTexas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2022 2:43 pm    

Great article-Thanks for posting!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 2:19 am    

For what I do 24 bit is more than adequate. It all gets converted to the Red Book CD audio standard, 16 bit 44.1Khz wav files at the end.

There are those that believe higher bitrates are better for manipulation (e.g. effects, dynamics). But in the end if you are making the recording for a "commercial" use its 16 bit 44.1Khz or even worse if its an MP3.

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 7:44 am    

The main idea I brought from the article is using 32-bit floating point audio allows the engineer to move setting gain levels from when you record to post production.

The article's more oriented to treating the audio in video production versus audio production many of us are more accustomed to.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 11:19 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
For what I do 24 bit is more than adequate. It all gets converted to the Red Book CD audio standard, 16 bit 44.1Khz wav files at the end.

There are those that believe higher bitrates are better for manipulation (e.g. effects, dynamics). But in the end if you are making the recording for a "commercial" use its 16 bit 44.1Khz or even worse if its an MP3.

Those bit rates are for CDs which barely exist anymore. The current trend is going towards hi res streaming services. All the sessions I have been involved in over the last couple years have been in at least 24/96. It does sound better also. People are buying home converters for there streaming service and the difference is visceral. Check out Qobuz. Spotify still really sucks for quality along with any other way you can come up with beyond convenience though.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 1:29 pm    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
Jack Stoner wrote:

Those bit rates are for CDs which barely exist anymore. The current trend is going towards hi res streaming services. All the sessions I have been involved in over the last couple years have been in at least 24/96. It does sound better also. People are buying home converters for there streaming service and the difference is visceral. Check out Qobuz. Spotify still really sucks for quality along with any other way you can come up with beyond convenience though.

I've had a robust sideline with CD's and CD production. Traditional country and gospel. I'm dealing with retirees and they are still in the CD era. I've also had a good business recording retiree karaoke singers. I presented USB flash drives with wav and MP3 for an album but there is no interest.