The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I find myself scaling back
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 1:33 am    

I'm in my 7th decade, I love playing but I also find myself scaling back. I do have a pretty good gig calendar but on gig day I sometimes find myself wishing that I didn't have a gig that evening. I don't sit and practice as much as I used to but I do sit and practice often.

I recently turned down a few offers for gigs because the travel distance was too far, where just a few years ago I was playing those same area's on a regular basis. It ain't the gas money.

I love the music, the instruments , the social, all of that , but I also find myself wanting to scale back.

When I do gig now, its on a Telecaster, I am very limited on the Steel gigs that I accept, as it means totally different gear for the gig. For my entire journey I have been a triple duty player, Vocal, Guitar and Steel, now triple duty is a curse Sad

Then add that when I do go on a gig, sometimes the social is great but the music is less than desirable, not inspiring at all. Yeah I know that sounds egotistical and maybe it is, but over my tenure ( 5 decades ) I have played with some pretty darn good players who pushed me to step up my game. I really don't want to play a gig just because I answered the phone and someone said they need a Steel or Tele in a Country Band .

So I find myself scaling back.

Am I alone here ?

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 3:42 am    

Tony not at all. You wrote my sentiments exactly as I feel these days. I love to play Steel and Telecaster but the drive, late hours, gear hustle and other factors you mentioned all weigh in on my enthusiasm. It seems the pandemic wiped out what little drive I had to continue as normal. Maybe it's a typical batters slump that comes with age and treachery. I just as content to stay home and play to a few tracks, sip coffee and eat a good dinner.

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 4:01 am    

Tony, you are not alone.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 4:01 am    

Larry for certain, the Pandemic knocked me out as well. I was on a 5 year run, 2x mth show , which came to an abrupt end march 2020 . We tried to recover late last year ( Sept ) but it was too far gone. Plus the couple of shows we played last Sept, were exactly the same as a year and a half earlier. I felt like I was a Hamster locked in a cage ! LOL Laughing

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 4:08 am    

When I was "Young"... we did Gospel Concerts around the Pacific Northwest, and somehow I was the one loading the Van with guitars and amps and sound systems. I just never enjoyed that much, and never took advantage of the few opportunities I had to play music for a living.

I'm a bit of a home body, and being gone all the time would make me anxious. Now I still play in Church from time to time, though not a lot, unless I'm playing bass and that had been 2-4 weeks/month. But the thought of packing up the steel and then up the stairs, just is not a pleasant thought.

I'm happy to play/practice in my studio, sometimes even while watching TV on the computer while playing. Making the odd, sometimes literally, YouTube videos and a lot of interacting with other Steel players either in text or email or Zoom and Skype. Thats about all I care to do, and have fun making the occasional "Sweet" sound and talking with others from this community.

After 45 years of a stressful (For me anyhow) working life, I no longer need the excitement Laughing , and I find what I'm doing now both exhilarating AND relaxing.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

James Wishart

Rhode Island
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 4:23 am    

Hey Tony
I’ve been forced to slow down only for health reasons, but when I recover, I will be back at it. Normally, I play in 5 bands. Some of them have regular gigs, others do not. I’ll play guitar, bass, steel, and sing. It does not matter to me, as long as I am playing.
For me, making music with others, creating harmonies, is the ultimate high. I’m not ready to let it go just yet.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 4:37 am    

You definitely are not alone, Tony. Don't ask me why. Sad

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 4:57 am    

I was working regularly and making a decent living exclusively from playing music. That came to an abrupt end when my last gig (I didn't know then it was my 'last gig'!), an eleven-week run of the 'Patsy' show, closed on 12/1/19.

I was at that point tied up making a move back to England (I thought it was permanent but here I am, back in the USA!) but Covid also put paid to my regular sources of work. I've never wanted to play one-nighters, preferring gigs where my gear stays set up for weeks rather than hours, but the epidemic had a bad effect on theatres for a long time.

When I was away constantly somewhere across the country, I used to miss home. I can vividly recall thinking at times:

"If I only I could just be at home and read my London bus books and fiddle with my guitars, then have someone send me a weekly check...."

Well: here we are. I'm now involuntarily retired (the Covid effect is passing but my hemodialysis schedule is pretty limiting). I've almost got my wish (except the 'check' part - that's just a small UK state pension and some Social Security here).

At first, this bothered me. Then, recently, I got a call offering me a couple of weeks somewhere doing a show. I found myself shuddering at the thought - the thought of packing everything, hauling it to the car, the miles, the unfamiliar accommodations, the commitment to their show-schedule, etc., etc. - and the realization that the money, while it was reasonable, couldn't compensate for the effort it would entail.

I never thought I'd be happy just to stay within these four walls. My love for music remains undimmed, but I seem to have become content with being a bedroom-player.

In these post-gigging days, I find I'm appreciating this online community of b0b's more than ever.

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 5:21 am     Scaling back

Seems like a bunch of us are in the same boat. Pushing 70 myself I feel the consensus. b0b has allowed us a place where we can help each other adjust to this new season of life.I have gleaned so much from this forum family. Very Happy

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 5:32 am    

deleted.

Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 29 May 2022 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 5:50 am    

I am right there with you.
I have played a total of 2 gigs since I moved to FL 3 years ago.

Other than those, I have played the Texas show 2 times.

While I still love working on posting videos and such, I just have care much for sitting behind the steel and not enjoying it when I do.

All I can say though is that it has been a good ride. I lived in the best time in history for the pedal steel and became friends with more people than I ever dreamed.

And on top of that, I have been able to sit beside many of my heroes and make a fool of myself, but it was fun.

I still OWN 2 steels and 4 amps. All of the gear that I have remaining, except my 93 Emmons, was given to me by the manufacturers, so I really struggle with selling any of that, but we will see.

Great post for us "older" guys. Yep, 75 now and never thought I would see this day.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 6:03 am    

When I retired, I think I was 75. All my gigs were at least a 45- minute drive and sometimes over an hour's drive from my home. All were one nighters. My back was telling me I should not be loading and unloading that equipment. This was back the other time gas had gone up to around $4.00 a gallon. I started to be aware the only people driving on the road on my way home at 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning were cops and drunks. I did not want to encounter either. I figured if I counted from the time I started to load my stuff till I unloaded back home, it just was not worth it. I could stay home, pop some pop corn, have a beer and watch College football.

Robert B Murphy

Mountain View, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 6:14 am    

Tony, I'm almost 70 and like Bill I abandoned the gigging life decades ago for a more rewarding career in every way. Even so, I never stopped playing at every opportunity. I'm down to playing a jam once or twice a week and a local club every two weeks or so. It's a great situation because I can hang out with friends who can really play, occasionally get into that zone where I can make the sound in my head come out of my guitar, and don't have the worry about the money and driving. Scaling back doesn't mean quitting and in my case it's a lot more fun to be playing for my own gratification. If other people like it; great. If not...

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 6:17 am    

COVID knocked out a 10 year run on a weekly show. Since Oct 2020 I've played 3 Cowboy Church jams and nothing else. At 84 I've "lost it" and don't know if I would be an asset to a band.

I too have had a good run, from 1996 when I retired until Oct 2020 I was mostly a full time musician. 13 years in one show, 10 in another, 7 years in Tommy Cash's Cash Crew Florida band, 2 years with George Hamilton IV and many shows with other Nashville singers here in Florida.

I've resigned myself to be a bedroom picker. I have a bad back and can't "horse" equipment around. I had a "Lumbar facet injections" this past Friday and only one day and its helped but I'm still not ready for carrying equipment.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 6:40 am    

At age 71 I’m still playing a lot of local gigs, 110 last year and about the same this year. There are a couple of things that make it easy... the gigs are close to home, early hours, shorter hours, and I’m using lightweight gear these days: 32 lb. pedal steel, 21 lb. amp, and a couple of stomp boxes. I play with a young classic country band and sometimes we play as a trio, 4-piece, or 5-piece. Our trio is two guitars and pedal steel. That takes some getting used to, but it works well in many situations. Most of the gigs are 2 or 3 hours long: breweries, restaurants, town concerts, fairs, private parties, etc. No more 9:00 to 1:00 gigs in bars. I’m usually back home by 9:00!

I also keep busy with my Youtube channel and I’m still selling my lap steel books online. No longer teaching guitar and steel though. I did that at a local music store for 42 years!

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 28 May 2022 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 6:46 am    

Luckily I was able to survive and thrive(spiritually if not financially) playing music primarily since late 1970s. Maybe my standards are lower than most but I was comfortable travelling and playing on the Folk/ Bluegrass scene with occasional forays into Rock and Blues. I didn't play with jerks, or if I did it was not for long! I never had kids and didn't get married until age 61(to a wonderful girl who totally gets me and who plays a bit herself).
I was always good with money. I saved and invested, then inherited some so am pretty secure. We live in Florida Oct-May where I work with some very good - and nice - people and play 3-5 nights a week. Not great money but not bad and early hours. Summers up North are still pretty busy. I don't hustle but the gigs roll in. I am still happy with too much gear at 70 and will continue.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 7:40 am    

Pretty cool posts folks.enjoying them.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 9:21 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:
You definitely are not alone, Tony. Don't ask me why. Sad

Hey Herb , why ? Laughing

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 9:39 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
COVID knocked out a 10 year run on a weekly show. I've "lost it" and don't know if I would be an asset to a band.

Jack , since Covid cancelled my gig March 2020, - I've been on Tele ( B Benders) only, I enjoy it. The Steel sadly has taken a back seat in life now. I have played two Steel shows in Columbia SC and quite frankly I felt like a total novice. I too have lost it and there is no way its coming back. My brain knows where the music is but my hands and fingers are singing a different tune. I found myself playing the same old STOCK crummy songs where I couldn't wait for them to end. Its really not for me anymore.

Regarding gig offers for Steel, which I have declined , I don't have the ambition or desire to "work a setlist" or rehearse , just to go out and play a gig where I know I will not be enjoying it and I know I will not be playing up to par. That ship sailed and quite frankly I'm not interested to go find it and get back on board.

Apparently from the many commends above, I feel good knowing that I'm not alone ! Laughing

Peace !

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 9:55 am    

I decided a very long time ago that I would not set myself up to have to rely on the music biz for a living. In college, I studied mostly physics, math, chemistry, music, psychology, philosophy, and economics, with emphasis on the first 4, majoring in physics. I worked for several years in industry, went to grad school in Electrical/Computer Engineering, and then hit the tenure-track. I realized the publish/raise-money or perish mentality was not for me. So I bailed after several years and spent the next 6 years playing full-time and running a guitar shop. This was great for a period - the music helped me exorcise some pent-up frustrations. But I woulda' burned out to continue that for the next 20 years to retirement. So I did more grad work in computer science, which at this point was absolutely hot-as-a-firecracker, and then taught software engineering until I retired a few years ago.

But I've always played. Sometimes more, sometimes less, sometimes just for myself - but always seriously. After I retired, I started playing more again until the pandemic hit shortly thereafter. Since the pandemic, gigs go in spurts, mostly due to a lousy business environment for live music. The pandemic has really messed things up pretty badly. A lot of venues of all types are pretty gun-shy about doing stuff inside. Some even outside. Significant chunks of earlier audiences are pretty gun-shy about going to gigs, especially inside.

But I will play until I physically can't do it anymore. I did not burn myself out on playing earlier in my life, and there's still more to do, things to learn. I have to keep up a pretty rigid physical exercise/workout schedule to stay in shape enough to haul around pedal steel oriented gear. But I consider that good for me, period. So I will not quit.

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 10:24 am    

Just played a gig last night and we had sound system problems both with monitors and other components in the system. I was thinking “Man” to be sitting in my music studio back home playing to a good track. Switch on, switch off, then enjoy a Movie at home. . Instead of this frustrating moment on stage working through system problems. Yes I join “Tony” age has a way of neutralizing our movements (78 yrs)

HOW many times have witnessed that “Acoustic” guitar player walk in and say where do I plug into to the DI Box. Then after the gig unplug and leave, with the rest of us breaking down and hauling all the equipment.

“Yes” Tony you are not alone….

Gil James

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 11:44 am     scaling back

Tony,it looks like you've got plenty of company in your mindset. But, don't feel guilty about it. You have paid your dues in the music world,and now it's time to just enjoy yourself. Your legacy will continue here if nowhere else! Thanks to Bob and modern technology you are inspiring thousands of steelers everyday. I ,for one,am learning a great deal from your wixsite recordings. Not to mention the tidbits of wisdom of everything steel guitar related. So anyway, thanks to you and all you other "old timers" ( I'm only 65,lol), keep it up.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 1:08 pm    

68 in a few days... Been probably 6 years since my last paying gig, after doing them for over 45 years.. Miss it at times, mostly I don't though... I did the full time, part time, and weekend warrior thing at various times in my life... I do miss the band "thing",and realized after cutting musical ties, that I had no more friends to speak of.. My life revolved around music, even in my later years, but I did not realize it until it was gone... The intense passion I had for music, the gear involved, the people I made it with has faded some... I tell people-

"No one wants to see a bald Italian guy in his late 60's rockin' the house"

Like most of us, I had my day- In fact many many many of them.. However, the world turns,and one day inevitability comes to each of us and bites us square in the ass. I had my time in the sun, and then realized it was simply my time to go into the shade and rest... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 3:21 pm    

Really nice conversations above, I sure glad I'm not alone here Laughing

Gil , thx for the very kind words. Very Happy

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 3:48 pm     Slowing down

Don’t feel like the LoneRanger, I’ve scaled way back since the Covid BS! Things in my area have virtually dried up. Most guys are doing solo shows at restaurants and such. I played one of the restaurant shows once and I figured out I don’t like playing in front of people feeding their faces!!