The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I find myself scaling back
David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 4:24 pm    

I had a twice a month gig in Knoxville up until Covid. I had already scaled way back just because I'm getting lazy. Since that one petered out, I've been very happy to play by myself in my music room. Trying to get up some chops on thumbpicking guitar, and laying down a few tracks on steel for a producer buddy of mine.

All in all, I've done been where I was going, and I'm not going back there no more. It's been fun, but I'm enjoying what I'm doing now and as others have said, I don't have to lug anything heavy around and I don't have to drive a few hours each way. Never made much money at it anyway!

Tonight, I've gone back and forth between playing music and taking care of the smoker. Rendezvous style Memphis pork chops. Yum.

Dave

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 29 May 2022 1:36 am    

David, I vote for the Smoker !

A week or two back I had a scheduled DUO gig about 15 min from the house. One of the very few gigs I have kept on the schedule as they are very close to home , easy early hours and it still pays well. I play all these gigs on a Tele with a small amp, and they are still fun. Well I arrived and found out we were double booked or had the date wrong- which is rare for this venue, I didn't get angry, in fact I was quite happy, I was home again in 15 min., back watching some repeat show on the tube with my wile ! Laughing A couple of years ago I would have probably been really upset, pitching a fit , all that stuff. Today ? Nahhh...

I have another duo gig coming up in a few weeks at another venue , the hours are 1 to 3 on a Saturday afternoon . Same deal, Tele and a small amp. For now its still fun and still pays well.

Other than a few full band summer concert shows we have and the two venues that I a mentioned above,( all on a Tele) I am not accepting any additional gigs. Actually I am passing any Steel gigs I am offered off to a couple of other players in the area. What a nice guy I am ! Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 May 2022 1:57 am    

Tony mentions Tele gigs. Couldn't do that either, what lead skills I had (from the 60's) are lost too. I could maybe do a Bass job but even that would be a task.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 29 May 2022 4:16 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
Tony mentions Tele gigs. Couldn't do that either, what lead skills I had (from the 60's) are lost too. I could maybe do a Bass job but even that would be a task.

I hear ya Jack. For me , I'm not returning to the 6 string'er, that is, was, my 1st life, I never put it down over all these decades. Since Covid and even earlier, I've gone backwards , studying again what I was studying way way back, then adding the Bender to the mix. I've always loved the Benders and moving back full time to the Tele with the Bender, gave me a spark.

I feel I'm playing better now (on the Tele) than ever before, but now I don't want to play out that much ! Sad Quite the dilemma !

Who'da thunk this ! Laughing

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 29 May 2022 6:27 am    

Yup.
Part of it lies in having done music (nearly) as much as we wanted to, part of it lies in the music that most speaks to us receding further and further into history, part of it lies in the vigor of youth receding further and further into the same place, and yet another part of it lies in the decline of live music as a viable cash generator.

My thought for the day is that "Truckin'" speaks of "a long strange trip" in reference to what is at most a decade's passage of time. Winking

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 29 May 2022 7:12 am    

deleted.

Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 29 May 2022 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 29 May 2022 7:32 am    

Bill, I've never been a road player, turned down the offers very early. I had always leaned towards cautious for my entire life. Of course I've done weekly and weekend getaways with a few bands here and there , and quite frankly I never found any comfort in sharing a room , more like a closet, with 2 or 3 others and then fending for myself for meals. For me that never made any sense in life , so I chose to be a local player with a full time 8 to 5. Other friends dove in head first for the glory of road life.

The funny thing is, even as LOCAL players , we all still met at the Waffle House after a gig and we enjoyed it , because when we all said goodnight we went home to our own beds ! Very Happy

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 29 May 2022 8:28 am    

Bill

Your point is well taken. On the other hand, when I made the decision to pursue a life in music, I was 17 years old. I knew nobody who had chosen such a course. I'd completed my Grammar School education and spent a time in Art College (a possible career in that area) but, once I decided to 'go for it', I realized that my commitment had to be total.

As it is, I don't have a fortune but have a decent 6-figure sum in savings.

Another factor: my now-failing health. I'm 79 and I'm dealing with numerous chronic conditions. At 79, I've far outlived any other immediate family member! I honestly thought, even as I approached my 50s, that I'd shuffle-off-this-mortal-coil long before now.

A major reason that I recently turned down a contract was that I had my doubts about the physical side of doing the show - moving my equipment being just one consideration.

SSA, etc.: I have never failed to report any income. I was particularly diligent in this regard when I came to America to live; I didn't want to put a foot wrong with any kind of bureaucracy (INS, IRS, SSA, whoever). But: CPAs who specialize in the entertainment industry (and any other industry, as far as I know) are adept at reducing one's profits on paper (endless items can be written-off) and the downside of this can be a reduced SSA payment. My NYC CPA is no exception.

In summary: I posted earlier in this thread regarding my disinclination to go out on the road. I do not want anyone to think this means I now regret my life choices. I've had a whale of a time and I've seen the world and have been lucky enough to mix with some great players.

It's true that I haven't been able to have my own family, but I've always said that I'm not having children until I'm older.

Smile

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 29 May 2022 9:01 am    

deleted.

Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 29 May 2022 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 29 May 2022 9:45 am    

Gents, please keep in mind that my discussion intent here is not the choice of musical career , but rather winding down , whatever it may have been. I've never been more than a local player, no regrets , but I'm still scaling back !

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 29 May 2022 9:49 am    

That's what I thought, Tony. Bill started talking about 'career choices' and I answered (I think). Perhaps I shouldn't have.

On balance, I'd say my worsening physical condition has an effect on my enthusiasm for all the effort required to play a gig. I think I'd be worn out before I even got there!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 29 May 2022 11:58 am    

Roger, no big deal, I believe there is always value to all responses. I know I am appreciating all of the comments.

I just wanted to remind folks that I'm scaling back from a pretty busy journey.

Very Happy

Bill Sutton

Post  Posted 29 May 2022 3:02 pm    

Hello Tony. Your not alone. I haven't played my Guitar in over A year...Lower Back pain prevents me from sitting very long on the seat. I tried to pick some today...but it was terrible. Im so far out of practice that it scares me. Im inaccurate on the neck...Having problems keeping the bar straight over the frets...Problems rocking my foot from A to B pedals. This is A serious problem for me because I love to play my Steel Guitar. As soon as I fix these problems...I plan on uploading some songs on you tube...if I dont fall apart LOL. Tony I watch your vids A lot...and your A fine Steel Guitar Picker. You take care and stay well my friend.

Bill S.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 29 May 2022 5:34 pm    

When I moved out of N.J. in 2018, I was playing in five bands. It wasn't bad because there were very few conflicts. There were a bunch of steel players up there so somebody was usually available to fill in. I didn't plan on playing in Florida because I'm retired and really don't need to. You all know the story. That urge hits again and here you go. I played in jam sessions, freebees, with a bunch of great people but no money. Then health issues including cancer, covid and a rough colonoscopy had us locked up at home. After that I was told no heavy lifting or swinging golf clubs. I'm playing some steel now but I lightened the load gig wise and weight wise. A single 10 and 40 watt amp where ever I can. The guys in the band usually help me when I need a D10 and 100 watts. I'll be 77 in August.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2022 4:02 am    

Apparently I'm not scaling back by myself !

My last two duo gigs in May, the two I kept on my schedule, were either double booked or cancelled for one reason or another. So I played neither !

And I also just learned that a BIG BAND gig at the end of June was cancelled , but fortunately re-booked at the end of August.

I think its the water ! Laughing

Dean Richard Varga

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2022 9:08 am     Scaling back!

Looks like we are all in the same
boat, Tony! Heres to "she stays water tight and dry inside"! It will be 114° on Saturday here in Gilbert, Az!- it will still be 106° at 7 p.m. Watering the plants out front seems like a big chore! I cannot imagine dragging an Emmons DD-10 PP to the mini van.
I should have stuck will the flute for the senior years!

Keep it real & fun!

Nigel Mullen

Cassilis, New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2022 3:30 pm    

I am 82 years old and I am still playing local gigs. I play in a 3 piece group without a lead guitar player. I really enjoy getting out and a little extra money is always nice. I have lightened my load a lot from the old days. I was always just a weekend warrior and have been playing for 60 some odd years. I worked a day job all my life and have a pension from that which is really nice. I had numerous offers in the old days to go on the road playing music but I'm really glad I didn't when the monthly check rolls in. The guys in my band help me loading and unloading my equipment most times. I will keep doing what I'm doing as long as my health holds up and I worry about the time when I can no longer get out and hear the audience applause. Anyhow, everyone's different I guess. Just my situation!!!! NM

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2022 4:35 pm    

Nigel, our life patterns appear to be mirrored. I'm 83 and still playing on weekends also. I agree it will be hard when the day comes we can't hear the applause anymore.

I just started with psg. Started with guitar at 13 and have been playing 6 string guitar, dobro and lap steel.

Keep going YOUNG man and enjoy it ......

Sam

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2022 4:41 am    

It really isn't about money now (I can just about manage as we are), but I do so miss playing with other musicians.

Here at home, inspiration is rare and fleeting; in a decent band, I can rise to the occasion at times and that feeling is so joyful. It's why I've stuck it out for sixty-odd years, I suppose.

Steve Cattermole

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2022 12:01 pm    

When I started playing I would drive anywhere for 40$ to play, I was fired up. That went on through the 80's and 90's kind of making a living.I finally got sick of country music and just about quit playing.One day I looked at my guitar and thought what about C6,so I got on that and haven't took my foot off the gas since. So now I play once a month playing Jazz and American Songbook with my guitarist buddy,and maybe a country gig once in a while to keep the few country chops I have. So I've scaled down from 20 gigs a month to 1. Just got a new light amp to spare my back. I just turned down 2 country gigs for 300$ each because it was over a hour drive, sure wouldn't do that in the old days.Still practicing 2 hours a day, thank god I like playing to my tracks as much as a live band ,and there's no shortage of jazz tunes to learn

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2022 12:13 pm    

Steve Cattermole wrote:
When I started playing I would drive anywhere for 40$ to play, I was fired up. That went on through the 80's and 90's kind of making a living.I finally got sick of country music and just about quit playing.One day I looked at my guitar and thought what about C6,so I got on that and haven't took my foot off the gas since. So now I play once a month playing Jazz and American Songbook with my guitarist buddy,and maybe a country gig once in a while to keep the few country chops I have. So I've scaled down from 20 gigs a month to 1. Just got a new light amp to spare my back. I just turned down 2 country gigs for 300$ each because it was over a hour drive, sure wouldn't do that in the old days.Still practicing 2 hours a day, thank god I like playing to my tracks as much as a live band ,and there's no shortage of jazz tunes to learn

Glad you took up C6th, cause you great at it AND another resource 😉
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Steve Cattermole

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2022 1:47 pm    

Thanks Dale. I'm glad you jumped in the C6 pool, you're sounding unbelievably good .Whatever you're doing ,keep it up . Great having another person to talk C6 with. Let me know if I can help you. Catt

Peter Leavenworth

Madbury, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2022 7:15 am     I find myself scaling back

I’ve played semi-professionally since I was in high school and still out play in several bands on a regular basis. The members are all old friends of mine so socializing is an important factor in music-making.
One band, however, does not play out at all and we’ve been playing in the drummer’s basement for over 30 years. We just walk in nearly once a week and everything from PA, drum kit and Hammond organ is all ready to go. Some of our stuff might be embarrassing to play out anyway due to being long past their expiration date or bad lyrics but we have a blast. I have one of my PS’s set up there and it’s a nearly painless way of keeping chops up. I’m wondering how many others here participate in something like this, particularly as an alternative to playing out?
2008 Zum D-10, 1996 Mullens PRP D-10, 1974 Emmons D-10, 1976 Emmons D-10, early 70s Emmons GS-10, Milkman Sideman head w/Telonics 15" speaker, 1966 Fender Super Reverb, 1970 Fender Dual Showman head, Wechter/Scheerhorn and Beard Dobros, 1962 Supro lap steels, Gibson 1939 RB-11 banjo, Gibson 1978 RB-250
banjo......and way too much more

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2022 11:43 am     Re: I find myself scaling back

Peter Leavenworth wrote:
I’ve played semi-professionally since I was in high school and still out play in several bands on a regular basis. The members are all old friends of mine so socializing is an important factor in music-making.
One band, however, does not play out at all and we’ve been playing in the drummer’s basement for over 30 years. We just walk in nearly once a week and everything from PA, drum kit and Hammond organ is all ready to go. Some of our stuff might be embarrassing to play out anyway due to being long past their expiration date or bad lyrics but we have a blast. I have one of my PS’s set up there and it’s a nearly painless way of keeping chops up. I’m wondering how many others here participate in something like this, particularly as an alternative to playing out?

Do a Friday night jam at the coffee shop my daughter owns....never know who is coming in to play but have a ball....nothing scheduled just come in and play...had players from Africa, England and other places stop by, always have an extra guitar available. I play dobro, lap steel or guitar my psg playing has to come along a lot further before I em-bare-ass myself.....still get out occasionally for a gig or two but Fridays are fun
Sam

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2022 12:50 am    

A short update.

I had 2 gigs cancelled in June, two that I accepted ! lol . Very Happy I have 2 gigs coming up this coming July 4th weekend, gigs I committed to earlier this year. Both are outdoor festivals. It'll probably rain ! I am on B Bender for all of these gigs, not Steel. We have Brett Crisp with us on Steel. He carry's an amp and his D10 at the same time ! He makes it look easy ! Very Happy

I did accept a gig in Aug from a friend who's band I played with a few years back. It's 15 min from the house and early, something like 6 to 9. I am bringing the Steel out for this one. The bad news is I haven't touched the Steel in weeks, I should probably sit behind it for a bit. They offered me a full time slot in this band (again) and a handful more gigs , of which I passed on. Most gigs are an hour or more from home and puts me back carrying the D10 again. Nope...

I'm still glad I am scaling back.

Last edited by Tony Prior on 27 Jun 2022 12:55 am; edited 2 times in total