The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rick Beato analyzes Tiny Dancer
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 8:17 am    

I love when Rick Beato picks apart a song, but it's rare that any of the songs have steel. In this episode of "What Makes This Song Great", he solos B.J. Cole's pedal steel part several times.

https://youtu.be/dijrGXvSS-g

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 8:45 am    

Very cool...thanks for posting b0b

Rick Bernauer

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 2:51 pm    

Here's a mix of the instrument tracks without vocals that make the pedal steel parts easier to hear. Great song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCzg-qaj6z8

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 28 May 2022 3:03 pm    

Let me show my ignorance as a techno-idiot:
Is there any software that can "reverse engineer" a mix and separate vocals and different instruments to make transcribing easier?

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 11:07 pm    

To me, this song is a textbook case-study of how to orchestrate a pop/rock song and how well a good pedal steel part can add so much. The interaction between the steel, electric guitar, and string parts is just great. Gotta say I also really like the electric guitar parts. Just great. Here's a mix of just the vocal, rhythm section, and guitar - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSrbTl9VJJg - I'd like to hear the pedal steel added to this without the piano and string section.

Gary Newcomb

AustinTexas, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 11:16 pm    

Loved this!

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 29 May 2022 10:01 am    

Pretty complex piece. Very beautifully done

Colin Swinney

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2022 10:15 am    

Jeff Garden wrote:
Let me show my ignorance as a techno-idiot:
Is there any software that can "reverse engineer" a mix and separate vocals and different instruments to make transcribing easier?

Check out Moises. I’ve used the iOS app and it worked really well for vocal removal.

https://moises.ai/

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 29 May 2022 10:55 am    

Thanks, Colin. I just found a few Moises review videos on youtube and it looks very interesting.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 29 May 2022 11:37 am    

I'm a big Elton John fan whether it has any steel or not. They did use the steel in all the right places and just enough to enhance the track without it getting steel heavy. I play piano and sing too and was playing his greatest hits on the piano back in the 1970's. One of the elements that makes his arrangements is he and the bass player are constantly playing 3rds and 5ths on the bass line similar to how string arrangements are written whereas the typical bass player would be playing 1 and 5 through the whole song. Makes for an interesting sound. Rocket Man has that bass part very distinctly. I think when Elton fired his band his records lost that groove. The bass player Dee Murray that died in Nashville from a brain tumour was a key element in those early records.

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2022 11:06 pm     B.J. Cole on Wiki

If you aren’t that partial to Rick Beato’s “Analysis Paralysis” features, but instead prefer to delve into the steel player’s extensive history, open up his Wikipedia, and allow your jaw to drop. He still lives to play today on steel; even has a website. I learned that he used a black, single neck Emmons 10 string he’d acquired, when ‘Tiny Dancer’ was articulated by Elton’s wizardry on keys and orchestral timing. No digitizer anything’s in those studios; just (probly) a Neve slider console and 16 track reels to ‘punch’ into. The mastery of simpler tools, and artful ways to use ‘em fully engraved that album into rock history.

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2024 8:46 am    

I second Colin's response. Try Moises, the app. Check out the Moises videos on YouTube. It's an awesome app for making backing tracks.

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).

Rick Bernauer

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2024 2:48 pm    

I always loved the pedal steel part that BJ Cole played but it was hard to hear in the mix sometimes - at least on my turntable back in the '70s.
Here's isolated tracks with the full pedal steel part starting at 20:30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyauUI5o7p8

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 7:31 am    

Rick Bernauer wrote:
I always loved the pedal steel part that BJ Cole played but it was hard to hear in the mix sometimes - at least on my turntable back in the '70s.
Here's isolated tracks with the full pedal steel part starting at 20:30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyauUI5o7p8

That was amazing - thanks, Rick!

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 9:20 am    

very cool to hear the steel completely isolated. it's worth noting that while his part wasn't flawless, it made the cut and the song wouldn't be nearly the same without it.

are there any other Elton John songs that feature pedal steel? I can't think of any but I don't know his catalog all that well

James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 9:28 am    

Why is he "air guitaring" the pedal steel parts as if it's a 6-string?

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 10:41 am    

John Sims wrote:
I second Colin's response. Try Moises, the app. Check out the Moises videos on YouTube. It's an awesome app for making backing tracks.

Thank you, John!

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 1:34 pm    

scott murray wrote:

are there any other Elton John songs that feature pedal steel? I can't think of any but I don't know his catalog all that well

Gordon Huntley plays a nice 8 bar pedal solo on "Country Comfort" off Tumbleweed Connection. Great album.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 3:01 pm    

Bill Sinclair wrote:
scott murray wrote:

Gordon Huntley plays a nice 8 bar pedal solo on "Country Comfort" off Tumbleweed Connection. Great album.

Tumbleweed Connection is such an undersung country-rock album.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 5:11 am    

I used to do a Tiny Dancer cover in a band I was in. I since do it solo as a PSG instrumental. I worked out that intro piano riff and theme verbatim. It sounds great on the PSG.
Bj Cole played a Kline 12S Uni BTW.