The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Milkman 50 vs 100w head
Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2022 8:25 am    

Wondering what kind of results folks have had with the white 50w head, and/or the black 100w version.

They both look and sound great from clips I've watched, but these are largely guitar based, so asking here about steel application, good speaker pairings etc.

Cheers
Andy

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2022 7:14 pm    

FYI, the 50 watt head is 100 watts into 4 ohms....I carry 2 speaker cabs when I want a little extra power from my 50 watt (of course, the 100 is 200 watts into 4 ohms...)

I think it is more about if you want tremolo+ reverb or reverb+boost....and how loud you typically play (stage volume)....with the XLR out you can easily add the PA for fill even if not mic'ed...personally, if I was starting from scratch, I'd get the 100, but only to get boost pedal instead of tremolo...

It doesn't seem to sound as much typically solid-state bad when pushed a bit, which does help.

Tim says that there isn't a very perceptible difference.,..

But why not chat with him about it? He's very willing to talk and has lots of experience with both....

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2022 4:36 am    

I’ve had both and I kept the 100. The extra headroom comes in handy for my work. I have more control over the gain structure for basic tone and often need to play loud. I missed the tremolo so I bought a stompbox. I don’t use the boost feature very often but it does a very cool thing with the mid range. I did a couple fly date tours before the 100 came out and the 50 was amazing. I never felt the need for anything more until there was more. So both are great when you get down to it.

Peter Leavenworth

Madbury, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2022 7:49 am     Milkman 50 watt vs 100 watt head

Andy, I bought a Milkman Sideman 50w head a few years ago and it’s been my gig amp ever since. Tim customized the circuit board for me by omitting the tremolo section and installing depth and eq adjustments to the reverb. It has either 4 or 8 ohm speaker jacks and a treble boost and I use an in line low Z out to the PA.
I’ve experimented with several 15” speakers in open back cabinets but after I bought a ‘’66 Super Reverb ( for home use) I started experimenting with 10” combinations with the Sideman. Currently I’m using a Hartkey 210 enclosed cabinet (bc it was available) and I’m in the process of putting together two 210 cabs wired in parallel to simulate the Super speaker arrangement in a more portable configuration.
Tim has been very helpful with advice about customizing the amp as well as my putting together the speaker cabinets. The amp is terrific, ABs really well with the Super and I’ve never run out of headroom, though I have not played any arenas lately.
Pete
2008 Zum D-10, 1996 Mullens PRP D-10, 1974 Emmons D-10, 1976 Emmons D-10, early 70s Emmons GS-10, Milkman Sideman head w/Telonics 15" speaker, 1966 Fender Super Reverb, 1970 Fender Dual Showman head, Wechter/Scheerhorn and Beard Dobros, 1962 Supro lap steels, Gibson 1939 RB-11 banjo, Gibson 1978 RB-250
banjo......and way too much more

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2022 9:37 am    

Thanks for the input here fellas, appreciate it!

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2022 3:36 pm    

Thanks for this thread. Has anyone compared the xlr output of both boxes? Also how are you all setting the volume and master knobs on these units when using the xlr out going direct?

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2022 8:43 pm    

I've been using The Amp 100 matched with a 16 OHM Jupiter speaker. Sounds wonderful in studio and live. Also the lightest rig ever!