The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mullen guitars!
Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 21 May 2022 8:20 pm    

In answer to what guitar I use. The Mullen guitar I play most is from 2004. Yes I have newer guitars from Mullen, however, the 2004 is the bomb. Incredibly efficient for live or recording..no frillsJust the best in tone to my ears.

Last edited by Tommy White on 22 May 2022 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 22 May 2022 4:35 am    

I find it interesting how some guitars whether 6string electric or pedal steel just are alive,others,not so much. I retired from Gibson and had a bunch in my hands,some were just elite instruments. Amazing to feel and hear them. Tommy,you sure bring out that elite tone on those Mullen guitars or any for that matter. Very Happy

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 May 2022 5:22 am    

There does seem to be certain musical instruments that have the tone or feel or whatever magic.

Lead guitar player I worked with for 20 plus years including 9 on the road had close to 30 guitars (mostly US Fenders) but he had one, a Strat Plus with blue lace sensor pickups that was his favorite. He carried a couple on the road but never played anything other than that one Strat Plus.

I had a 71 Emmons D-10 and Bob Browning told me several times it was the best playing Emmons he had played.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2022 6:10 am    

It would be interesting to find out whether these are real differences or just a preference based on a one time experience that sticks with your memory. Only way to find out would be a blinded test. This has been done with Stradivarius violins for sound and although many violinists swear by them they are not better sounding than modern violins. Of course the feel of the instrument is extremely subjective and people's opinion is likely to be formed by initial impressions, or one time positive experience.

People often have the same feelings about particular cars or car makes/models or food.

Robert Jones

Branson, Missouri
Post  Posted 22 May 2022 6:28 am    

The Mullen I am playing right now is one I've had since 2002. I'm like you Tommy. It is perfect. I bought a G2 last year so I could have one at home when teaching my two students. I love that one as well but the one I love to play and have at the theater is my 2002 Royal.
http://www.bjsbars.com/

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 May 2022 9:56 am    

Tommy, I've heard you speak of this guitar before. I just saw an Opry airing where you were playing with Ricky Skaggs. He did a few cuts from the Highways and Heartaches 80s LP. Looked like you were having a great time covering those steel parts perfectly. I could see Ricky was liking it too.

I believe that's the 04 Mullen RP you reference here. Terrific sound, but all of your Mullen guitars sound great to me under your fingers.

I'm the biggest fan of Mullen. It was from your days at TNN that sold me on the guitar.

I've owned a few over the years, but one particular guitar stands out over the others. I played it for about 10 yrs. then sold it to my friend and fellow steeler Eli Hall at a weak moment. I've tried to buy it back from him several times, but he won't give it up.

So I do know that there are differences among same brand guitars and when you find the one that speaks to you, lets you play your best and enjoy the feedback it's giving you, never let it go. 😞😞

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2022 10:43 am    

I have a 1992 HW-PRP S-10 Mullen (with a half pad).
Wish I could "Clone" it. Played/owned many others but none could compare. It's my "estate" guitar!

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 22 May 2022 4:47 pm    

Hi Darrell,I agree it's up to the person at the instrument,blindfolded or not. Personal preference is all there is. There are so many variables it would be senseless to make any hard and fast rules.

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2022 6:53 am    

Tommy, I sent you a PM my friend.

billy tam

baton rouge, louisiana
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2022 10:34 am     Mullen TW

Over a long number of years I’ve owned 35-40 d-10 steels of various makes. I’m currently playing my 7th push/pull James Blond by Mike Scaggs. Awesome! Of the seven 3 were in the elite category, multiple Sho-buds, two were in the elite category. A round front Pro lll custom was probably the sweetest sounding of all. Ron Elliot’s EMCI Golden Eagle was awesome. None of these other guitars were bad but some really outshined others, including 2 Mullen, a Fulaka, two Zumsteels(incredible playability)
In the ‘70’s I worked ina music store with an revolving inventory of Martin acoustics and one day someone brought in a D-28 to sell and the tone blew all the others away. It really sang.
I don’t know the reasons some are exceptional but I know they are.
Sorry for getting long winded on this.
Billy

Mark Greenway

Lake Kiowa, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2022 9:34 pm    

Brent Mason also has a great story about his favorite guitar. I love hearing those stories.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2022 5:26 am    

The challenge for most steelers when getting a guitar is, we order it and after months of a build it's delivered. We always take a chance of what it's going to sound like. It's an expensive investment to gamble of what it's sound will be like.

In the 6 string world, the player gets to try before they buy.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2022 6:39 am    

Ron is so correct. Then you can spend endless hours and throw more money at it trying to make it sound and play like you want. I'm guilty of that for sure.

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2022 7:33 am    

Ron Hogan wrote:
In the 6 string world, the player gets to try before they buy.

Uh, not necessarily. Jim Olsen, for example, currently quotes a 9-month lead time (if you want a guitar like James Taylor plays). Other top-end luthiers have similar, or longer, lead times.

Of the two best acoustics I've had, my go-to guitar (a Kinscherff High Noon) took me well over a year to get (and Jamie Kinscherff is a good friend!), and a Gallagher 71 Special I traded for a pedal steel a couple years ago took about 9 months from order to delivery. I ordered both of them with no worries about whether they'd sound right, though! Very Happy

--Al Evans

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2022 1:56 pm    

Answer times three for good tone.
Wood
Wood
Wood